Neil Warnock the best manager in the Championship?

Day

Rotherham United boss Neil Warnock has said he believes he is the best manager in the Championship.

The 67-year-old took charge of the Millers in February after Neil Redfearn was sacked and has guided them towards a position of safety.

Warnock has been promoted to the top flight three times in his career.

"I don't think there is anybody else who can touch me at this level. My record is as good as anybody's," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"I have got to show the lads what I want and why I have been successful and they have got to come on board and they have done.

"When I came here I said 'you know how old I am and you know how many games are left and I have not come here to get relegated'. They have taken it on board and they have seen that we can move mountains and it is possible to achieve the unachievable."

Warnock, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, says he intends to continue managing next season.

He has spent the majority of his managerial life in the Football League but guided Sheffield United and QPR to the Premier League and spent a brief period in charge of Crystal Palace last season.

The former Leeds and Huddersfield boss said he did not really like managing in the top division.

"I know what I want at this level and I think the Championship is my level," he said.

"I've been in the Premier League three times and I didn't really enjoy it. Financially it's great but I didn't enjoy the day-to-day and the organisation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36074705

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managers like him, big Sam, Pulis will get a team organised, hard to beat, hard working and competitive in this division.

is the football good to watch? Probably not.

does it get results? Yes

would they get us promoted? Possibly

43 minutes ago, KBB said:

Managers like him, big Sam, Pulis will get a team organised, hard to beat, hard working and competitive in this division.

is the football good to watch? Probably not.

does it get results? Yes

would they get us promoted? Possibly

Clement would have probably got us promoted too , but results alone are no longer good enough ! 

Warnock wouldn't be my choice !

9 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Regardless he's done an absolutely cracking job with Rotherham. If I were their Chairman I'd be drawing up a bumper contract right now. 

Don't mention bumpers, that's where the inhabitants of Rotherham go to meet their new girlfriends!

If not there, then the hook a duck stall.

44 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

he doesn't get the credit he deserves. His Sheffield United sides were heavily biased towards attacking football, and given enough time at a club, he will get them attacking too.

Yeah my best mates a blades fan, seem to remember him saying he was obsessed with buying strikers at one point, then lamenting why couldn't they sign a decent defender. Think one year they played about 8 strikers.

9 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Totally odious man I remember when he was in charge of Sheff Utd playing West Brom at home and he tried to get the match abandoned by encouraging his playes to feign injury and get sent off after they were losing totally despicable man

The Battle Of Bramall Lane. 

I know he courts controversy and is outspoken and probably more people hate him than like him but I find myself really liking the guy. Maybe it's his no frills, give 100%, siege mentality approach that appeals, I don't know.

What he has achieved at Rotherham is quite remarkable really. He obviously still has a great passion for the game and is still looking to achieve rather than going through the motions for a pay cheque. 

19 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Excellent manager, the best in the league? I would say so yes and he would have been perfect for us when we sacked the PE teacher. 

But he doesn't want to work in the premier league, why would he come to a promotion contender? 

Archived