Derbyshire CCC

Ovis aries

On 19 May 2016 at 01:41, Posh Ram said:

I can't decide whether or not the promotion/relegation system is good for county cricket. There is actually a fair difference in quality and if you look at Division 1, it's dominated by the richest clubs. 

Time to embrace T20 in a county format maybe? It would get people back through the door and I think the city-based "franchise" system would be stupid. Keep the counties as they are, split them into two divisions and run it at a different time to the IPL. There is still demand out there for cricket but not enough is being done to make it exciting for young people.

I think standards would be improved by having just eight teams split by regions not counties. At present, there are too many easy runs and wickets by which average players build lofty reputations. 

The counties can continue to play each other to bring through young talent but the main focus would be on the big eight.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastKentRam said:

Up the Kent

Rain holding off at the moment, hopefully we knock this last 40 off sharpish. 

What a win

Looked like it was gonna piss it down all day, had the floodlights on from 11:30.

Still Derbyshire find a way to f**k it up.

11 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think standards would be improved by having just eight teams split by regions not counties. At present, there are too many easy runs and wickets by which average players build lofty reputations. 

The counties can continue to play each other to bring through young talent but the main focus would be on the big eight.

Interesting idea, I guess the issue is that it's difficult to get fans that way. Except for London, the British population isn't really concentrated to a few cities in particular. Hypothetically there would probably be regional teams based at Middlesex (London), Surrey (South-East), Lancashire (North-West), Yorkshire (Yorkshire), Notts (East Midlands), Glamorgan (Wales), Durham (North East), Wawrickshire (West Midlands) and Somerset (South West). The problem is that that would leave a lot of people feeling a bit disillusioned (including Derbyshire fans, I'd have thought).

I agree that the standard is disappointingly low and it's the same for the T20 Blast. There's the scheduling issue and the fact that there are probably too many teams, a regional format might work better there as well.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Graeme Welch resigned. What do you make of that?

The players certainly didn't make much of it, applied themselves professionally. 

Just got back, bit of a wicket fest for t20, Derbyshire always slightly on top but when they lost 1st three wickets thought surely not, Madsen and Hughes looked primed to open up and coast it before going almost together, another dodgy spell, then just a few boundaries swung it back.

First time I'd been a t20 at Derbyshire, done a few England fixtures, not a bad crowd for little ol derbys, even a few raucous foxes who had been having a few jars, just about behaved themselves. Might go again now.

RicMe85 sorry you couldn't make it, thanks for the tickets bud, hope you get to go to another one, they could be on for a good t20 season.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Random question but my Dad just found a brand new unused ' Hunts County Bats England' cricket bat signed by all the Derbyshire & Durham players in 2003 in his loft. He thinks he won it in a raffle.

Reckon it's worth anything?

Have a look on ebay for signed cricket bats. I think a lot depends on who signed it.

It might be worth also looking at Knights Auctions. They sell mainly cricket stuff, and the auctions are held at the Premier Inn, in Leicester. You could take it in and ask them what it's worth. They're quite approachable. Their next auction is in August.

http://www.knightswisden.co.uk/venue.php

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Have a look on ebay for signed cricket bats. I think a lot depends on who signed it.

It might be worth also looking at Knights Auctions. They sell mainly cricket stuff, and the auctions are held at the Premier Inn, in Leicester. You could take it in and ask them what it's worth. They're quite approachable. Their next auction is in August.

http://www.knightswisden.co.uk/venue.php

Good idea - cheers

I'll see if my Dad can decipher any of the autographs

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 09:56, StivePesley said:

Random question but my Dad just found a brand new unused ' Hunts County Bats England' cricket bat signed by all the Derbyshire & Durham players in 2003 in his loft. He thinks he won it in a raffle.

Reckon it's worth anything?

You could give it to the Derbyshire 4-day team but it won't see much use...

Archived