Sheffield Wednesday & Brighton Tactical Masterplan

Day

I would love to put this hypothetical side out ,if the other team had any fit players left for the play off's good luck to them .

Mathews , Robson,Buckley,Buxton ,Wright,Van Der Lan,Rioch Newton, Stamps,Harford Wignall .

Some tough nuts in there .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep playing the best team regardless of league position, finishing 4th is the aim and building confidence, forget taking out opposition players, we shouldn't be afraid of anyone unless its Burnley or Boro (if we had to play one of them and we knew they were in the playoffs with us I'd send out the monk from Mean Machine for sure), hopefully those 2 are gone and we don't have to worry. I'd fancy our chances against Brighton in the playoff final but not Burnley or Boro. 

I think this year would suit us much better to be at home in the first leg and go all out to take a lead away from home. Our most realistic opponents are going to be Burnley, Brighton or Hull. If any of those teams brought a lead to the iPro i wouldnt fancy us to turn it around. Take a lead to any of them I think we could do a job and hold out and get to Wembley. Would be interesting to see stats on how many teams have turned play off deficits around but i wouldn't guess many.

Tomorrow's results would decide it for me. If we drop points and Hull doesn't, 4th place is pretty much gone. Then it should be time for @David's masterplan. But as long as there is 4th place to play for, we should go for it.

And the last game of course with the best possible team, just to keep them in playing rhytm.

3 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Just did some internet searching...cant find full stats but this statement seems true...

'A side winning the away leg first has always progressed through to the final.'

Looks as though us v Southampton was the closest that came to being broken

Correct, but only as far as promotion to the top division is concerned.

Hilariously, the Gumps blew a 2-0 first leg lead in league 1 the same season as we won the Championship playoff, only to capitulate 2-5 at home to mighty Yeovil.

Archived