"Big Clubs"

DarkFruitsRam7

I'm sorry if this seems random, but something that really winds me up is when people say that that so called "big clubs" shouldn't be in the position that they are. People these days spend far too much time regurgitating the words of Sky and BT pundits, and are so bothered about stadium attendances that they forget what real football is about.

Case in point: Newcastle United. They haven't won a major trophy since 1955, yet just because they get good attendances, people seem to think that it's an absolute disgrace for them to be in a relegation scrap. How can you justify saying that Newcastle are a "big club" that shouldn't be relegated when their last major trophy was 61 years ago? Give me Bournemouth and their 11,000 average attendance, over the so called "big club" Newcastle United any day. Newcastle fans don't seem to be happy unless their manager wins them the treble!

I would have thought that the successes of Leicester this season would change things for good and people would finally get over this "big club" thing, but it seems not. Only the other day, my mate said "big clubs like Newcaste, Aston Villa and Sunderland shouldn't be in the relegation zone". Someone please tell me, what on Earth  Aston Villa and Sunderland have contributed to the Premier League in recent years? Absolutely nothing. Their last major trophies were 1982 and 1973 respectively in case you were wondering.

I remember a few years ago when we were playing Stoke in the FA Cup. People were texting RD to say that Stoke (who were mid-table in the Prem at the time) were in the position that Derby should be. How in the name of God can you justify this? Do you mean to say that we didn't deserve to go down with the lowest points tally in Premier League history? And that the seasons of mediocrity that followed were just blips? 

Yes, football clubs should embrace their history and heritage, but it makes me so angry when fans of these "big clubs" seem to think that they're better than the position that they're in, when over the whole season, the likes of Bournemouth and Leicester have  been far, far better than them. It's as though they've got a divine right to finish at least top half in the Premier League.

Is it just me that thinks this? I would love to read what others think, as this is something that really grinds my gears. Rant over.:angry:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'big club' is a subjective term. 

In the eyes of some, it's based on trophies won in the past. In the eyes of others, mine included, it's based on fan base. 

I've always thought the size of a club is dictated by the amount of followers it has, hence why attendances are brought up. If Leicester win the Premier League, I don't think it will help them become a bigger club. It will just be another trophy in the cabinet and something to look back on for the fans.

Successive trophy wins and long periods of success do, inevitably, attract more fans from further afield. Although, saying that, I live 25 miles away from Leicester and don't know a single one of their fans. 

Clubs with the most money (on average) still dominate but gate reciept from bums on seats used to be the main source of income for clubs though. Not now - at least in the Premiership.

If TV money didn't exist there would be something wrong in any club attracting 30,000 fans that wasn't in the top division. "Big" clubs like Newcastle and Villa can fall out of the Prem now because the TV money must have levelled the paying field to an extent.

Archived