Charlton Athletic v Derby County

eddie

Saturday, 16 April

The Valley, 3:00 pm kickoff.

Charlton Athletic are clinging to Championship survival at the moment, but with most of the teams just outside the drop zone picking up points regularly enough to the extent that they are dsappearing over the horizon, it looks a forlorn hope. Derby cannot apply the coup de grace next week and relegate them with mathematical certainty, but they can go a long way towards pulling the last straw away from the drowning man.

The name of Charlton Athletic is inexorably linked with Derby County of course, and that link is due to the sides meeting in the first post-war FA Cup Final. Students of the game will not need telling, of course, of the momentous events that day - first of all the ball burst. There was something else as well which temporarily escapes me - of yes, of course, I remember. A dog stopped play.

Charlton are a schizophrenic bunch, seemingly unable to make up their minds as to what their nickname is. Known variously as the Addicks, the Robins or the Valiants, they have also had more grounds than Forest have managers in a typical season - eight including their ground-share with Crystal Paralysis at Selhurst Park.

Their current home, The Valley, was the venue for The Who's concert in 1976 which earned them the title of "The loudest band in the world" at 126 dB, until either Manowar or Motorhead beat it. The Valley also used to have the largest single terrace (The East Terrace) in England, and on one occasion a coat pocket-watering 75,031 packed into the ground for an FA Cup tie against Aston Vanilla, but these days a more modest 15,000 is a typical attendance, many of whom are hostile to owner Roland Duchatelet, a Belgian gentleman whose hobby is collecting football clubs.

A couple of other things - Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic was the first-ever substitute to come on in a Football League game, and of course Bert Turner scored for both sides in the aforementioned 1946 FA Cup Final.

A similar result would be welcome.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Are you in that photo Eddie ? 

No (it's a video), but my mum and granny both worked at the Midland Hotel. Derby's players stayed there for a few nights in the build-up to the final so the manager could keep an eye on them. So much for that theory - Jackie Stamps and Reg Harrison were family friends, and the ladies did their bit for club morale by allowing the players to sneak out of the kitchen the back way so they could go and have a couple of beers at the Brunny.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Saturday, 16 April

The Valley, 3:00 pm kickoff.

Charlton Athletic are clinging to Championship survival at the moment, but with most of the teams just outside the drop zone picking up points regularly enough to the extent that they are dsappearing over the horizon, it looks a forlorn hope. Derby cannot apply the coup de grace next week and relegate them with mathematical certainty, but they can go a long way towards pulling the last straw away from the drowning man.

The name of Charlton Athletic is inexorably linked with Derby County of course, and that link is due to the sides meeting in the first post-war FA Cup Final. Students of the game will not need telling, of course, of the momentous events that day - first of all the ball burst. There was something else as well which temporarily escapes me - of yes, of course, I remember. A dog stopped play.

Charlton are a schizophrenic bunch, seemingly unable to make up their minds as to what their nickname is. Known variously as the Addicks, the Robins or the Valiants, they have also had more grounds than Forest have managers in a typical season - eight including their ground-share with Crystal Paralysis at Selhurst Park.

Their current home, The Valley, was the venue for The Who's concert in 1976 which earned them the title of "The loudest band in the world" at 126 dB, until either Manowar or Motorhead beat it. The Valley also used to have the largest single terrace (The East Terrace) in England, and on one occasion a coat pocket-watering 75,031 packed into the ground for an FA Cup tie against Aston Vanilla, but these days a more modest 15,000 is a typical attendance, many of whom are hostile to owner Roland Duchatelet, a Belgian gentleman whose hobby is collecting football clubs.

A couple of other things - Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic was the first-ever substitute to come on in a Football League game, and of course Bert Turner scored for both sides in the aforementioned 1946 FA Cup Final.

A similar result would be welcome.

Verily goude writting, Edddie. 

10 hours ago, eddie said:

No (it's a video), but my mum and granny both worked at the Midland Hotel. Derby's players stayed there for a few nights in the build-up to the final so the manager could keep an eye on them. So much for that theory - Jackie Stamps and Reg Harrison were family friends, and the ladies did their bit for club morale by allowing the players to sneak out of the kitchen the back way so they could go and have a couple of beers at the Brunny.

Wow thats a claim to fame. Your granny let a couple of players use the back entrance on the eve of the cup final. 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Wow thats a claim to fame. Your granny let a couple of players use the back entrance on the eve of the cup final. 

Yes, I thought when I wrote it that it was open to misinterpretation, and people might have erroneously assumed that I was referring to a door.

Despite their lowly position. I don't think this will be a pushover as Charlton's form isn't that bad. They lost late on Saturday and that was only their 2nd defeat in 7 games.

They've won their last two home games against Boro and Birmingham and also beat in-form Brentford away recently.

I think we should take our newly imbued confidence and style at home and do the same thing away from the Ipro.

We are always better in open games, it suits our style. Why is it that teams want to change strategy when away. ? If we can demolish Hull at home then there is no reason why we can't do the same to Charlton. We have the players and the confidence. Promises to be an interesting game. Fascinating how a decent lead at half time seem to lubricate the machine. 

Most important game of the season so far. if we can turn up with the same style of play as the last two games then we may indeed have turned the corner. If we can win the next two and then beat Sheffield Wednesday then we are in the Play Offs. If we can get ahead of Hull that would be brilliant. 4th plays 5th with 4th at home in the second leg. Then winner plays the winner of of 3rd versus 6th. i do not fancy Boro or Burnley in the Final. Brighton in the Final would give us a 40:60 chance of winning. A winning Butterfield goal against the run of play would do for me. Pipe dreams? Probably. COY Unpredictable R :)

We will be in the play offs, we are now playing for two things position and form. I think the current top two will go up and the other 4, Brighton, Hull, Weds and the Rams will be in the play off ( not rocket science). Not bothered who we play, we just need to keep momentum. If pushed would least like Hull, always comes back to haunt when you beat a good team home and away. 

So position and form

There is no team to fear .. We have everything we need to get to the Prem .. The only issue is form, self belief and the right attitude from kick off to final whistle. 

I really don't care who we get (assuming we don't implode in the next few games and do actually get a play off place ) my fear is that something unknowable takes our horns away and we stop buzzing as we have in the last 2 games. 

its going to be sweet if we do it though :D

Archived