Wassall In

Day

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Yeah in a way. He was told he had the rest of the season then we brought in an advisor who some will thank for promotion should we achieve it. Therefore he can't really win, it would be an excuse to not give him the job if we go up. I didn't say get rid of Harry, I said Wassall has been undermined.

Good job IMO .

We are doing better now .

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, curtains said:

You feel sorry for Wassall  that's enough. 

I feel sorry for @Kernow - but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should sling your hook. I'll let you know when I need that to happen. :D

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:56, B4ev6is said:

I will try my best but i know this team can do it i know they can.

this team lead me to despair at Wembley two years ago ..... But I am just about ready to return again :-)

at least the home leg may now be the decider and an epic pitch invasion can occur.

can we have a dcfcfans race to the centre circle? ( hard luck on the south stand massive as the stewards mass at your end and leave the west stand to casually walk on )

If we continue playing as we have the previous two games and go up then we will need a Premier league ready manager.

If we continue playing as we have the previous two games, yet miss out on promotion then keep Wassall.

I'm no fan of Wassall, but you have to look at the players we need for both scenario's. If we go up we need better quality and a better man than Wassall to attract them and manage them. If we remain in the Championship then we already have the players, and evidently they're more than capable of winning the league. OK it hasn't worked like that this season, but for many reasons.

Keep this squad together, tweak a little (unlike last summer) and go again with Wassall who is now learning the league, his players and what's required. The players will do the rest and pick the team for themselves.

It's coming together but later than required unfortunately.

Sorry can't agree on if we don't go up option, we supposedly are taking the long term view so for me get a manager you feel confident that can do it in the premier if he gets us up next season , that means stability and building for the premier whilst trying to get us up next season, course there are never any garuantee but for me wass is not the long term manager/coach for Derby county , makes no difference what division we start in next season Mel has a view of where he wants this club to go so do your best to appoint the manager who can get us there and keep us there ,,,, sorry for me wass is not that manager

Ok. I haven't explained why I'd keep him very well.

If we appoint anyone else there's also no guarantee's that we'll go up playing good football. A new manager could come based on the knowledge that'll they'll have money to spend. We could end up seeing a repeat of this season.

The players are key, not the manager in my opinion.

I was always of the opinion that Wassall showed more potential than Clement. I thought the first three/four games highlighted that. 

Clement was more seasoned to situations and we were harder to beat, however we just seem to have more potential to go through the gears under Wassall. The experience, or lack of, really showed and let us down. I don't know the situation, but hopefully 'Arry is the reason behind that sudden change in fortune. 

As up and down, and quite underwhelming, as this season has been. We actually look threatening coming into the business end of the season and potentially the play-offs. We seem to have a balanced and settled side. Wassall has been able to get the most out of key players, notably Martin, Bryson and Ince. We have Hughes coming back into the fray and we don't seem to have any injury concerns (touch wood). 

It's well documented I had written this season off under Clement, even when we were in the automatic promotion places it just seemed like we were stuck in second gear and it was no surprise when the results started to slide. I'm now more optimistic about where we could possibly be playing our football next season, but we've achieved nothing yet. 

Eight games to go! We're hitting form nicely, confidence is good and the players seem to have found their stride. The next two games are huge, as we should be looking to get six points to potentially secure a play-off place. It's then down to preparation for three games that could see us in the Premier League next season. 

We've got the potential. It's only potential at the minute, but no other team in the Championship will want to face us on our day. 

For me,  Darren shot himself in the foot with MK by changing unexpectedly to a 442 formation. This act seemed the very antithesis of the Derby way - ie imposing an unfamiliar formation not used throughout the club.

With that early setback he's been trying to recover and  now seems to be getting there.

Who knows really how this learning has come about. I don't pretend to. Importantly now is to see how this new learning translates to Charlton - can wassall also show enough savvy to counter a team that presses us.

As for his appointment - personally I would be content with dw as a head coach but not as manager. 

The debate about head coach vs manager structure I'll leave to elsewhere. 

Think I'm missing something with all this 

i praised the decision to appoint wassall on here I recall at the time, and had no reason not to be very happy indeed with what he had done for derby county .

but in all my time playing and following football this last 45 years I have never very come across such appalling, incredible and awful decision making and tactical cluelessness that he demonstrated in pretty well each and every game before Harry got appointed. The errors were so fundamental and of such a magnitude that it was truly astonishing to realise that they were being made by someone with about 25 years experience in the game.  

And this didn't happen in just one or two games whilst he found his feet. It happened game after game after game after game 

there is no coincidence in my mind that things immediately changed for the better with Harry's involvement. Which seemed to immediately stop wassall making such lunatic and baffling decisions mid match . And , more importantly, gave the players someone to respect again and who they could rely on to stop allowing  ridiculous situations like that  developing that were totally needless and avoidable . 

so you won't be surprised to learn that, despite the apparent upturn, I still regard wassall with enormous suspicion and worry. And although it appears we are in the minority ,  most of the folk who sit around us cannot but help, whenever it looks like a substitution is to be made, making  jokes about 'Bent coming on for Carson' , 'Blackman taking the captains armband' or 'Jake giving us some new vigour up front instead of Chrissy'. 

1 hour ago, Emsonlives said:

i praised the decision to appoint wassall on here I recall at the time, and had no reason not to be very happy indeed with what he had done for derby county .

but in all my time playing and following football this last 45 years I have never very come across such appalling, incredible and awful decision making and tactical cluelessness that he demonstrated in pretty well each and every game before Harry got appointed. The errors were so fundamental and of such a magnitude that it was truly astonishing to realise that they were being made by someone with about 25 years experience in the game.  

And this didn't happen in just one or two games whilst he found his feet. It happened game after game after game after game 

there is no coincidence in my mind that things immediately changed for the better with Harry's involvement. Which seemed to immediately stop wassall making such lunatic and baffling decisions mid match . And , more importantly, gave the players someone to respect again and who they could rely on to stop allowing  ridiculous situations like that  developing that were totally needless and avoidable . 

so you won't be surprised to learn that, despite the apparent upturn, I still regard wassall with enormous suspicion and worry. And although it appears we are in the minority ,  most of the folk who sit around us cannot but help, whenever it looks like a substitution is to be made, making  jokes about 'Bent coming on for Carson' , 'Blackman taking the captains armband' or 'Jake giving us some new vigour up front instead of Chrissy'. 

Translation:

"I think that I know more about football as a fan than a fully qualified coach with all his UEFA badges does, but I'm not alone in that. I also choose to sit with idiots because then I can blend in".

:p

8 hours ago, Emsonlives said:

Isn't Redknapp sat up in the stands with no link to Wassall during matches? 

If so, how does he stop him from making ridiculous substitutions?

As much as I like DW and want him to do well, I do not think he is an appropriate candidate if we were to go up as he has already shown naivety this season which - if repeated - in the Prem could end up disastrously with him way out of his depth. That said if he does well and gets us playing the kind of football we knew under SMc with similar results then I would be more open to the idea of him staying on next season should we still be in the Championship. It would give him an opportunity to build a reputation for himself and improve as a manager. That said I would still prefer we appointed someone who could pretty much guarantee promotion as I think DW's lack of knowledge (purely an assumption) in the transfer market could be an achilles heel although currently it seems to be the old guard doing the trick :D

8 hours ago, Emsonlives said:

there is no coincidence in my mind that things immediately changed for the better with Harry's involvement. 

Point 1 - I can only assume you have not been paying close attention or you have been following Man Utd or Arsenal for the last 45 years. Off the top of my head, he has Dean Moxey as a lone striker and Phil Brown having ten thousand fans telling him he did not know what he was doing to compete with! Other than the Rotherham substitutions I am not really sure what you are referring to.

Point 2 -Was it Harry that should have taken the flak for the Forest and Cardiff performances then?

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Point 1 - I can only assume you have not been paying close attention or you have been following Man Utd or Arsenal for the last 45 years. Off the top of my head, he has Dean Moxey as a lone striker and Phil Brown having ten thousand fans telling him he did not know what he was doing to compete with! Other than the Rotherham substitutions I am not really sure what you are referring to.

Point 2 -Was it Harry that should have taken the flak for the Forest and Cardiff performances then?

I wasted my time going through every single substitution that Darren Wassall has made - and you know what? The only ones that really made me go 'eh?' were the ones at Rotherham when he clearly thought that the game was won and decided to give Bent and Blackman a ten minute run-out in a victorious situation to give them a confidence boost - but Colin's a wily old scrote and the rest is history.

MK Dons (H, L 0-1): Butterfield for a shattered Bryson on 57, later Bent for Russell, 2 up front, Weimann for Hendrick. Lost to a late goal chasing the game.

Brentford (A, W 1-3): Martin on for Bent who had been given a start, then the late introduction of Blackman for Hanson and Ince for Russell completely changed the game as Derby scored 3 late goals to win.

Blackburn (H, W 1-0): Ince on for Russell, later Bryson comes on to replace Hanson, Hendrick moves back into DM and finally Blackman comes on for Butterfield, goes wide left and Ince moves centrally. Blackburn threw the kitchen sink at Derby but Keogh and Shackell were magnificant. First win at home this year.

Wolves (A, L 2-1): Ince and Weimann on for Russell and Thorne (Thorne injured, forced change). Wolves score, Wassall then sends Blackman on to try and salvage something. Both goals conceded were from individual errors, not related to the team set-up or substitutions.

Huddersfield (H, W 2-0): Russell and Bryson on for Blackman and Butterfield after an hour when we are winning 1-0, later Thorne comes on for Hanson at 2-0 and we see the game out.

QPR (A, L 2-0): At 1-0 down we introduce Bent, Blackman and Hendrick for Bryson, Butterfield and Russell, try to throw the kitchen sink at them but concede a second.

Rotherham (A, D 3-3): The match I referred to when I said "Eh?". 3-0 up with 15 to play, we bring on Bent and Blackman for Martin and Thorne. Hanson and Bucko are left on the bench. The rest is history as carnage ensues.

Forest (H, W 1-0): Russell introduced for Johnson on 64 with the score 0-0. Ince moves to a more central role. Olssen comes off the wing to score following Ince's ball inside the full back. Shackell gets injured, replaced by Bucko, and finally Chrstie replaces Hanson at right back in injury time.

Cardiff (A, L 2-1): We concede twice from corners. Later, Wassall brings on Russell and Blackman for Thorne and Butterfield. Ineffective.

Hull (H, W 4-0): Three late changes at 4-0 up, as Olssen, Russell and Johnson make way for Butterfield, Hanson and Weimann.

Bristol City (H, W 4-1): Hughes and Weimann given a run-out for a few minutes for Butterfield and Ince with the game won.

I leave you to judge....

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

I leave you to judge....

I agree with your overall point that DW has not done as much wrong as people say,

but one game other than Rotherham that made me go 'eh?' was Wolves. Didn't understand why Weimann was brought on when Thorne had to go off.

Archived