Euro 2016 - How far will England go?

Day

How far will England go in Euro 2016?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really are no stand out teams at the moment, as qualifying showed.

Not looked at the draw but unless we get Spain or Germany before, anything less than the semi finals should be a huge disappointment.

We have a good young squad

attacking wise its been the most excited ive been about an England side for a while. Just hope woy doesnt drop the young guns for the likes of milner, walcott, rooney & Carrick. Has to be starting with kane hopefully stuzzy hits form after his injury and vardy looks like he will score everytime he plays

defensively though England have always had quality centre backs. As far as i can remember through the years we've had the like of Adams, keown, campbell, terry & rio. Even class acts like king struggled to get in the side. I just think cahill, smalling etc are some of the worst centre backs we have had in the last 20years. 

Hopefully we can have a good tounament by Englands standards and not get beat by the first half fancied side we come up against 

If ourselves and Spain win our respective groups, we will be on course to meet in the quarter-finals.

It's strange, but there really are no standout teas with each nation having their own problems/dilemmas. 

Spain aren't as good as before. They're much more laboured, they lack a striker who can run in behind (a David Villa) and Iniesta aside they have nobody to dribble with the ball. They've become easy to play against, let them have possession in-front of you and hit them with fast counterattacks.

Germany too aren't as good. They've got great CBs, but fullbacks are a real weakness. They also lack a striker. Again they have little pace in behind. Muller is superb, but often plays far too wide.

Italy are rubbish these days. Portugal, Ronaldo aside, have very few top quality players and an average 'team'.

France are the standouts. They have goals in them, great wingers who can carry the ball, superb players through the middle. Varane is excellent at the back. Though Koscielny always has his moments. Home advantage should make them favourites in my opinion.

Who else is there? Belgium are overrated based on their star players' league form this year. Croatia, Poland and Russia have a few good individual players but they'll never win it.

Just waiting for Dele Alli and Kane to break each other's metatarsals in a training ground collision or something. 

Hopefully walcott is nowhere near the team, if he loses 10m/s of speed he'll be league one standard at best. No brain at all. 

Really optimistic of being competitive after the Germany game. However could not fathom making so many changes and losing momentum against a ***** Holland side. The only change that wasn't made was the one I still don't think is a decided position and that's at left back! 

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If ourselves and Spain win our respective groups, we will be on course to meet in the quarter-finals.

It's strange, but there really are no standout teas with each nation having their own problems/dilemmas. 

Spain aren't as good as before. They're much more laboured, they lack a striker who can run in behind (a David Villa) and Iniesta aside they have nobody to dribble with the ball. They've become easy to play against, let them have possession in-front of you and hit them with fast counterattacks.

Germany too aren't as good. They've got great CBs, but fullbacks are a real weakness. They also lack a striker. Again they have little pace in behind. Muller is superb, but often plays far too wide.

Italy are rubbish these days. Portugal, Ronaldo aside, have very few top quality players and an average 'team'.

France are the standouts. They have goals in them, great wingers who can carry the ball, superb players through the middle. Varane is excellent at the back. Though Koscielny always has his moments. Home advantage should make them favourites in my opinion.

Who else is there? Belgium are overrated based on their star players' league form this year. Croatia, Poland and Russia have a few good individual players but they'll never win it.

Disagree with you on Spain Bris. Alcacer,Morata and Diego Costa can all run in behind for Spain and no-one to dribble with the ball, really? Nolito,Isco and Thiago are more than capable of doing that. 

Disagree on the Germany bit too. The game against England was just an experiment, they are most likely going to play 3 at the back anyway. Reus , Draxler and Bellerabi are also more than capable of running in behind

As someone mentioned earlier... Go in as underdogs...

Only concern for me is defence, think we lack a world class defender.

I think quarters. We have an outside chance of semis depending on the sort of selections Roy makes.

We have a great chance to win our group. If we don't get out the groups with the best 3rd place side qualifying from 4 of the 6 groups, then we ought to give up.

We're Group B, and the winners of that group play the 3rd best placed side in groups A, C or D, depending on who gets through. That would leave us with a possibility (assuming the simplistic result is the 3rd 'strongest' side finishes third in their group...) of Romania, Ukraine or any of Croatia, Czech or Turkey for third in Group D. They're all beatable and really we should progress past any of those in to the quarters. We'd then play the winner from the match between F1 v E2. Likely to be Portugal/Austria v Belgium/Italy. In my opinion it'll be Belgium or Italy, and we'll probably come unstuck against either of those, although I'd fancy us against Portugal or Austria. Not impossible to reach the semis in this scenario.

If we end up finishing second in our group then we face the runner up of Group F, so Portugal or Austria (most likely) although Iceland cannot be written off. Again I wouldn't be too fussed about facing either of those. We could lose, but we have a good chance. That would set up a quarter final against either A 1 or C/D/E 3. This is likely to be France v Ukraine, Turkey/Croatia/Czech or Ireland/Sweden. So with it likely to be France in the quarters I'd predict an exit there too.

The final way we could get through would be to finish as a best placed 3rd side. This would place us against the winner of Group C. The most logical outcome of this would be Germany, where we'd almost certainly exit.

So unless we finish 3rd or 4th in our group, I can see a quarter final tournament, with an outside chance of Semis if we finish top of our group.

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

Disagree with you on Spain Bris. Alcacer,Morata and Diego Costa can all run in behind for Spain and no-one to dribble with the ball, really? Nolito,Isco and Thiago are more than capable of doing that. 

Disagree on the Germany bit too. The game against England was just an experiment, they are most likely going to play 3 at the back anyway. Reus , Draxler and Bellerabi are also more than capable of running in behind

None of those three are half as good as David Villa in terms of running in behind. Spain play such slow football these days, and against a defence which drops deep they create so few chances. 

As for dribbling, I'm talking from wide areas. Players who will get the ball and create space by beating a man. The three you mentioned won't do that, not nearly enough over the 90 minutes anyway.

Spain always play the ball to feet anyway. They very rarely play the ball into space these days, makes it easy to play against. Of course, they'll have the quality to beat average opposition, but against a good counterattacking team I think they'll lose.

Germany have no focal point upfront. Mario Gomez, who I actually quite like, isn't as mobile as say Harry Kane and will rarely go in behind. Germany will be much better than the team which played against England though, especially in the last 30 minutes.

I just feel France are the best equipped to win it.

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think quarters. We have an outside chance of semis depending on the sort of selections Roy makes.

We have a great chance to win our group. If we don't get out the groups with the best 3rd place side qualifying from 4 of the 6 groups, then we ought to give up.

We're Group B, and the winners of that group play the 3rd best placed side in groups A, C or D, depending on who gets through. That would leave us with a possibility (assuming the simplistic result is the 3rd 'strongest' side finishes third in their group...) of Romania, Ukraine or any of Croatia, Czech or Turkey for third in Group D. They're all beatable and really we should progress past any of those in to the quarters. We'd then play the winner from the match between F1 v E2. Likely to be Portugal/Austria v Belgium/Italy. In my opinion it'll be Belgium or Italy, and we'll probably come unstuck against either of those, although I'd fancy us against Portugal or Austria. Not impossible to reach the semis in this scenario.

If we end up finishing second in our group then we face the runner up of Group F, so Portugal or Austria (most likely) although Iceland cannot be written off. Again I wouldn't be too fussed about facing either of those. We could lose, but we have a good chance. That would set up a quarter final against either A 1 or C/D/E 3. This is likely to be France v Ukraine, Turkey/Croatia/Czech or Ireland/Sweden. So with it likely to be France in the quarters I'd predict an exit there too.

The final way we could get through would be to finish as a best placed 3rd side. This would place us against the winner of Group C. The most logical outcome of this would be Germany, where we'd almost certainly exit.

So unless we finish 3rd or 4th in our group, I can see a quarter final tournament, with an outside chance of Semis if we finish top of our group.

Yeh I read it wrong the first time I saw it. We're set to meet Spain (assuming they win their group and then progress) in the semi-finals if we win our group.

All ifs and buts though. We've made a habbit in the past of failing to top a pretty straight-forward group.

Archived