20/20 Cricket World Cup 2016

froggg

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Only England could find a way to lose that so spectacularly.

I thought the windies had their name on the cup from the start.. The way hales and Ali got out for instance, and maybe with a different camera angle Samuels would have gone . Also several near misses with run outs,. But in the end they deserved it with the brutal hitting at the end. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought the windies had their name on the cup from the start.. The way hales and Ali got out for instance, and maybe with a different camera angle Samuels would have gone . Also several near misses with run outs,. But in the end they deserved it with the brutal hitting at the end. 

Oh and winning the toss which was probably crucial as both teams are better at chasing. This England team will win plenty of trophies in the years to come I think... Buttler , stokes, Roy, root and co will provide the backbone for strong challenges by England for trophies for many years to come. I honestly didn't see that last over coming tho , stokes has been so good at bowling at the death . 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Derby losing. Rosberg winning the Grand Prix. England losing the cricket.

Seriously, this weekend can f**k right off.

However bad it was for the partisan, the cricket was thrilling from the start of the match to the finish, and you can't complain about the entertainment value of that. If you traveled to Cardiff, well I can understand that could spoil your weekend. 

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

However bad it was for the partisan, the cricket was thrilling from the start of the match to the finish, and you can't complain about the entertainment value of that. If you traveled to Cardiff, well I can understand that could spoil your weekend. 

Lots of parallels between England and Derby.

Performed badly but kept in it by opponent repeatedly slipping up til you think they might just sneak through, then at the very end it all slips away.

It's the hope that kills....

PistoldPete2
8 hours ago, loughboroughRAM said:

as a bowler i cannot fathom why stokes kept bowling in that area, just bowl full outside off ffs and stick 3rd man in - dont think I saw brathwaite play a single shot through cover! Can't take away from the hitting though, absolutely huge sixes

With such a huge swing of a bat, I don't think giving him width would work... Even when he edged it it went for six. He was trying to cramp him up with Yorkers but they were too far down the leg side.

PistoldPete2
10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Lots of parallels between England and Derby.

Performed badly but kept in it by opponent repeatedly slipping up til you think they might just sneak through, then at the very end it all slips away.

It's the hope that kills....

I didnt think England performed badly. The score of 155 was slightly below par, not helped by some unlucky dismissals eg ali and Hales.  I thought they bowled very well, until the last over of course. 

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I didnt think England performed badly. The score of 155 was slightly below par, not helped by some unlucky dismissals eg ali and Hales.  I thought they bowled very well, until the last over of course. 

Yes- I was being rather flippant.

155 was under par. I disagree with the idea, shared by some commentators, that Hales was unlucky.

All batsmen survey the field. If they then hit the ball straight to a fielder that's negligence not bad luck.

We did bowl well to the extent that I was starting to believe we would win when Brathwaite produced the goods.

His skill rather than Stokes' errors.

Good luck to the Windies.  They deserved their win - though I bet Samuels was unbearable!

The game was lost by a drop from Kent Second XI wicket keeper, Sam Billings, who put Samuels down (also conceding a four). But in a format where fielding is so crucial, why on earth would the coaches have a wicket keeper who doesn't even play first team cricket on the boundary in a world cup final? Surely a professional approach would involve having the nation's premier fielders as backups in case they're needed on the pitch?

Shocking first ball of the final over from Stokes too. Crazy shot by Root to get himself out.

I thought it would be Jordan who would cost us. He had 1 over go for about 19, then missed a golden chance of a run out with a poor attempt at gathering the ball (after some smart work by from Roy, I think, who certainly didn't look best pleased).

However, he did redeem himself somewhat with his bowling 'at the death'

I'm still gutted.

Archived