20/20 Cricket World Cup 2016

froggg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, eddie said:

West Indies defeat India in another thriller.

So who will the 100,000 fans be cheering for now in the final?

I was hoping West Indies won, thinking they're largely a one-man team... Gayle gets out for five and they still end up making 196!

England are similarly built though, Hales the closest thing we have to a standout player but Roy, Root, Morgan, Buttler and Stokes are all very strong batsmen at this level. 

Windies are great at chasing a total so it would be nice to bat second, I do think in T20i format that gives you a bit of an advantage as you have a clear target to follow. 

Can't wait until Sunday.

The final will be a fascinating watch. You have two teams who epitomise the phrase 'from the sublime to the ridiculous' because you just don't know what to expect and they can deliver both in equal measure, sometimes even in the same match!

You look at the two teams and they are reasonably well-matched. West Indies have slightly more depth in their batting line-up going down to Sammy at no. 8 and with Broad not included in the England squad, neither side have world-class talent in the bowling department and certainly no-one with a proven track record of rising to the occasion or striking fear into the opposition. So man-for-man, I'd say the sides are fairly even.

People will say the key to England's victory is stopping Gayle but I disagree. Of course, we can all acknowledge that when it all clicks, he can be as unplayable as it gets. When he is playing well, he is undeniably a world-class batsmen in the limited-overs formats. But let's be honest, you look at Gayle and as brilliant as he can be, an off-day is never too far away.

They are not a one-man team because you can extend the same sentiment to any one of their many powerful and explosive batsmen and say: yes, they are very capable of taking the game away from a team but they are just as likely to give their wickets away cheaply through being too cavalier and too brash with their shot selection and technique. They could rack up to a score in the 200s or quite easily they could be 90 all out. It's the nature of the beast.

In many ways, we could make the exact same assertions about England but for me, I think this England team have the wherewithal to manage the occasion better and the key to victory is quite simple: discipline, particularly from the bowling attack. If we try to match West Indies blow-for-blow, I can see it blowing up in our faces one way or the other. But if we apply ourselves and play in a more measured, thoughtful way - fundamentally sound shot selection and putting the bad balls away and bowling in the right areas - it's a good platform to build from.

If I had to call it, I'd say an England win, with Joe Root most probably at the heart of it.

I worry a bit about our spin bowlers who haven't bowled to their potential but we bat deep and confidence is high. 

Should be a great game. It's my granddaughter's birthday tea on Sunday afternoon. The men are likely to be huddled around an I-pad!

PistoldPete2

Wow unbelievable from braithwaite... I've never seen anything like it in all my years of watching cricket. 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Srg said:

Should never ever get him for 4 sixes in a row in the final over. Absolute shocking choke from Stokes. 

I thought the first ball was a bad one..and maybe that gave the windies the belief. . But not much you can do about the next three . hitting like that is phenomenal.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I thought the first ball was a bad one..and maybe that gave the windies the belief. . But not much you can do about the next three . hitting like that is phenomenal.

No 4 deliveries bowled at the same length with slightly different lines. Poor cricket. Look at his face after the first delivery he bottled it and panicked 

Archived