RIP Johan Cruyff

Mafiabob

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Ok I admit I did try and do the Johann Cruyff turn..my own version of it anyway. Fooled a few people as well including myself. But there was only one.. the orginal Dutch master.. Cruyff was a true genius and another part of my youth just went today.  

Brilliant player. Took the game to another level. I was actually a fine exponent of the Cruyff turn and thank him for that.

Maxwell tried to bring him to Derby, either as manager or advisor (I don't remember now). Either way, Arthur Cox was not best pleased. Loved Arthur though I did, it would have been exciting.

Seen many incredible players in my life.. Pele, Maradona, Cantona, Mesi, Ronaldo ( both), Socrates, Zico, Neeskins, Moore, Best... But this fella was for me the very very best. I prefer the Dutch model of " total football" from those times. Not that I didn't adore Brazil 70 and 82 as well for sheer outrageous skill, but maybe the Dutch team and Cruyff had more. Dunno...loved both. 

You know...at times Steve McLarens team had a Holland 74/78 feel to them. Swashbuckling, unafraid, expression, brilliance... 

Total football..

RIP Johan Cruyff... Idol. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brilliant player. Took the game to another level. I was actually a fine exponent of the Cruyff turn and thank him for that.

Maxwell tried to bring him to Derby, either as manager or advisor (I don't remember now). Either way, Arthur Cox was not best pleased. Loved Arthur though I did, it would have been exciting.

I did not know that.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

I did not know that.

DET has just put up a story about it via McFarland's autobiography (which shamefully I haven't read):

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Johan-Cryuff-linked-Derby-County-Roy-McFarland/story-28986684-detail/story.html

It ends with the line:

"So Derby's "loss" became Barcelona's "gain" as Cruyff returned to the Catalan giants as manager."

That Dutch team played football with such confidence and skill. I remember seeing early slo mo shots of Cryffs footwork and like many here tried to duplicate it in the back garden. Great days. What a player, lit up the game. He should have a World Cup winners medal to add to his Multiple European cups and Ballon D'Or. ... Sad sad day 

We have a Dutch friend who lives in Greece. We see her when we go on holiday. She used to hang around with the young Ajax players and lost her virginity to Rudi Krol, although quite what that has to do with this thread I have no idea.

PistoldPete2
40 minutes ago, jono said:

That Dutch team played football with such confidence and skill. I remember seeing early slo mo shots of Cryffs footwork and like many here tried to duplicate it in the back garden. Great days. What a player, lit up the game. He should have a World Cup winners medal to add to his Multiple European cups and Ballon D'Or. ... Sad sad day 

We have a Dutch friend who lives in Greece. We see her when we go on holiday. She used to hang around with the young Ajax players and lost her virginity to Rudi Krol, although quite what that has to do with this thread I have no idea.

Anyone else have some Rud stories?

Archived