Maria Sharapova caught

Cisse

7 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Drug has nothing to do with diabetes, its manufactured in Latvia and helps with cardiac perfromance, increasing indurance.

Simple case of a Russian cheating, she can join the the other russian cheats, as she will not be the last.

10 years of cheating.

While I'm not saying Maria wasn't using it solely to cheat (for 3 months), and she may have been, I don't care I'm not a fan - I have two family members who take Meldonium/Mildronate. One for Ischemia (which is what it's primarily for) and the other as a small part of a diabetic treatment. So to say it has nothing to do with it is just plain wrong. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, SaintRam said:

While I'm not saying Maria wasn't using it solely to cheat (for 3 months), and she may have been, I don't care I'm not a fan - I have two family members who take Meldonium/Mildronate. One for Ischemia (which is what it's primarily for) and the other as a small part of a diabetic treatment. So to say it has nothing to do with it is just plain wrong. 

Manufacturer states its not for the treatment of diabetes, but hey what do they know. It does have a small beneficial property if used long term for someone who has type two diabetes. Kinda saying Sharapova doesn't.

Its banned in the USA where she is resident, so how can it be prescribed to her? Also there are so many better drugs out there for the list of ailments she has. Surprised she can barely pick up a racket.

We'll ignore the fact that 12 others have been caught using this since Jan, 7 being Russian.

4 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Manufacturer states its not for the treatment of diabetes, but hey what do they know. It does have a small beneficial property if used long term for someone who has type two diabetes. Kinda saying Sharapova doesn't.

Its banned in the USA where she is resident, so how can it be prescribed to her? Also there are so many better drugs out there for the list of ailments she has. Surprised she can barely pick up a racket.

We'll ignore the fact that 12 others have been caught using this since Jan, 7 being Russian.

Yeah as I said I'm not disagreeing with you that it's almost certainly being used for performance enhancement, just don't agree it has "nothing" to do with it. 

I also agree that there's obviously a drug-using culture in Russian sport.

Just playing devil's advocate here but is using a medicine which may have a marginal effect on performance really any worse than:

• Altitude training
  • Oxygen tanks
  • Computer modelling of motion/gait
  • Minor operations to improve joint function
  • Advanced clothing or footwear
  • Dietary (herbal) supplements

...just off the top of my head

They're all using science in order to enhance pre-existing talent/skills but the're just as un-natural.

On 8.3.2016 at 12:10, Gypsy Ram said:

Only a 100 emails a day? Pshhhh, you light weight.

Anyways from the title of this thread thought she got caught in a sex tape scandal or something. 

If you happen to come across with such a tape, please share. Screw the rules. :cool:

She's not as good looking as she was therefore i'm not that bothered about the issue.

No-one watches womens tennis for sporting reasons do they?

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Just playing devil's advocate here but is using a medicine which may have a marginal effect on performance really any worse than:

• Altitude training
  • Oxygen tanks
  • Computer modelling of motion/gait
  • Minor operations to improve joint function
  • Advanced clothing or footwear
  • Dietary (herbal) supplements

...just off the top of my head

They're all using science in order to enhance pre-existing talent/skills but the're just as un-natural.

All of the above are used to aid recovery and/or reduce injury.

What is unnatural about going up a hill and have a run?  Does Denver need to be relocated as it has been built to high above sea level?  How do you think distance runnners are now becomingcompetitive with those from North Africa?

Oxygen tanks, anyone with a basic grasp of biology knows that the most essential element for tissue repair is oxygen.  Oxygen treatments can take weeks off recovery periods.

Modeling, stops injuries, if you can run correctly less chance of pulled muscles and side effect is you can run quicker.  If you teach someone to do something right they will get better and better.

Clothing - as above.

Dietary, food is fuel, what you put in is what you get out.

Everybody uses science every day to improve their lives or the lives of others, if you say you don't just think what you are using to say it.

13 hours ago, McRamFan said:

All of the above are used to aid recovery and/or reduce injury.

What is unnatural about going up a hill and have a run?  Does Denver need to be relocated as it has been built to high above sea level?  How do you think distance runnners are now becomingcompetitive with those from North Africa?

Oxygen tanks, anyone with a basic grasp of biology knows that the most essential element for tissue repair is oxygen.  Oxygen treatments can take weeks off recovery periods.

Modeling, stops injuries, if you can run correctly less chance of pulled muscles and side effect is you can run quicker.  If you teach someone to do something right they will get better and better.

Clothing - as above.

Dietary, food is fuel, what you put in is what you get out.

Everybody uses science every day to improve their lives or the lives of others, if you say you don't just think what you are using to say it.

I'm sure that's true but the above are also used as performance enhancers by increasing oxygen intake and endurance as well as improving technique; reducing resistance etc.

I'm just pointing out the inconsistently that taking pills/injections/blood transfusions to achieve similar goals is deemed as cheating, where as using technology is fine. It's never going to be a level playing field because the athletes with access to the best technology (most money) will have the best chances.

Like I said, I'm just playing devil's advocate. No need to get all bitey.

22 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm sure that's true but the above are also used as performance enhancers by increasing oxygen intake and endurance as well as improving technique; reducing resistance etc.

I'm just pointing out the inconsistently that taking pills/injections/blood transfusions to achieve similar goals is deemed as cheating, where as using technology is fine. It's never going to be a level playing field because the athletes with access to the best technology (most money) will have the best chances.

Like I said, I'm just playing devil's advocate. No need to get all bitey.

You can't play devil's advocate and then accuse someone who replies to your arguments of getting "all bitey".

There has to be a cut off point somewhere. If you follow your line of logic then people who are afforded the time to actually train instead of sitting on their arse in an office all day are gaining an unfair adavantage. That's not to mention that many of the banned substances and treatments have detrimental effects on overall health.

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

She's not as good looking as she was therefore i'm not that bothered about the issue.

Dunno. Anything that increases the chances of the Williams broth...sorry sisters, dominating my screen, is a bad thing in my book...... :(

1 hour ago, Anon said:

You can't play devil's advocate and then accuse someone who replies to your arguments of getting "all bitey".

Devil's advocate: In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with, for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

Therefore no need to get bitey since I was merely trying to aid the debate.

Never mind. I'll move along.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Devil's advocate: In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with, for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

Therefore no need to get bitey since I was merely trying to aid the debate.

Never mind. I'll move along.

Thanks, I do understand what playing devil's advocate means. What I was trying to point out is that I don't see anything rude or bitey in McRamFan's reply to you, simply a rebuttal of your points.

Archived