Stephen Warnock

TheDeadlySaul

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Is it really essential we have two first team quality players for every position? I can't remember the last time christie was injured (touch wood) and Olson is a tough cookie, crossing the bridge when we come to it comes to mind here.

Exactly...

"we have a bloated squad... but wait, don't let anyone leave!!"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Tombo said:

BUT... Lowe gets injured and Olsson has to come in as cover. Warnock does very little wrong but still gets dropped in favour of Olsson and loses his place even on the bench.

Good post Tombo, although I feel that even if Lowe hadn't been injured, Olsson or another left back would have still come in. Olsson is very much the Forsyth replacement. Warnock obviously has gone out on loan on his own accord, I'm sure DW would have kept him if he was willing to stay. But he's what? 34? He's out of contract and knows if he joins a promotion challenging L1 side and does well, he has a good chance of signing on for another season at Championship level. Plus Olsson is better so he wouldn't have got a chance here anyway.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can't agree with that so far.

I can. Swings and roundabouts - Warnock may perform better individually but it's at the detriment of the whole balance of the team.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can't agree with that so far.

Personally I think he's better for what we need. He's a lot more like Forsyth in the attacking sense, and I don't think he's been bad defensively either. Hasn't made any mistakes, wouldn't blame him for the OG at Fulham either. Plus he's in his prime for a full-back. Using him over Warnock is the most logical option for me.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

I can. Swings and roundabouts - Warnock may perform better individually but it's at the detriment of the whole balance of the team.

yeah, those few successive goal mouth clearances and interceptions were utterly detrimental.

21 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Good post Tombo, although I feel that even if Lowe hadn't been injured, Olsson or another left back would have still come in. Olsson is very much the Forsyth replacement. Warnock obviously has gone out on loan on his own accord, I'm sure DW would have kept him if he was willing to stay. But he's what? 34? He's out of contract and knows if he joins a promotion challenging L1 side and does well, he has a good chance of signing on for another season at Championship level. Plus Olsson is better so he wouldn't have got a chance here anyway.

They said that Olsson came in because Lowe was going to be out longer than they thought

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yeah, those few successive goal mouth clearances and interceptions were utterly detrimental.

Olsson has already reached opposition's byline to cross more times than Warnock did in 6 months.  Warnock is a good player, but has slowed too much to fulfill the role we need him for. It isn't just offensively where we suffer either. Warnock's positioning and awareness is excellent, but he often has to stand well off opposition wingers and allow them a relatively easy cross because he's worried about being done for pace.

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I dont agree with this.

But then I dont agree with having Olsson as first choice, at this stage.

Warnock has been one of the shining lights in a dull campaign.

I realise he is getting older, and is out of contract, but I would still be at least giving him 50% of game time with Olsson if I was in charge,

He's garbage. Only redeeming grace is he plays his backside off. Anyway, Good riddance. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

It also suggests that we are closer to the ffp limit that what Mr Morris is letting on

no it doesn't. It suggests that Warnock isn't going to play and they don't want him to have a new contract.

Why can you not get it into your head? We have bigger revenue streams than ANYONE in this league, we aren't even top of the wages, all spending (transfers) are spread out over the length of that related contract (ie if Johnson cost £10m and signed a 5 year contract, that means £2m THIS season), and FFP is judged over a rolling previous 3 year period, where we hardly spent anything.

I never really understood why we suddenly started signing 30 somethings

it didn't really fit with the philosophy of grooming teenagers.....unless we were actually going for promotion.

Which of course we weren't.

Never. Not at all.

Aaagh.....that bstrd Clement!

(even if they were all signed before he'd even arrived)

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

no it doesn't. It suggests that Warnock isn't going to play and they don't want him to have a new contract.

Why can you not get it into your head? We have bigger revenue streams than ANYONE in this league, we aren't even top of the wages, all spending (transfers) are spread out over the length of that related contract (ie if Johnson cost £10m and signed a 5 year contract, that means £2m THIS season), and FFP is judged over a rolling previous 3 year period, where we hardly spent anything.

Sorry, I was trying to play Devil's advocate, back off to the sky sports newcastle bashing thread I go :lol:

Watch this video

Chris Martin is not tall for a number 9. He will never beat a defender aerially in a straight fight - the only time you'll ever see him score from a deep cross is when he gets in between the central defenders, but that's not the most effective way to create goal-scoring chances. The CF is often facing away from goal and the cross has to be perfect.

We look at our best when we work the ball in such a way that Chris Martin or an advancing attacking player can finish it off with just one or two touches. In so many of these goals in the video above, the assister (?) is already in the penalty area when the pass to Martin is made.

In order to do that, you need full-backs overlapping. Brayford/Forsyth/Smith/Wisdom/Christie almost seem to be in shot in every other goal, even if they haven't provided the assist themselves.

There was nothing wrong with Warnock's individual performances. He's a good player - maybe even a very good player for this level, and Wigan is below him. But he doesn't suit our team at all, and while we all like to point fingers at this summer's recruits for not fitting the system, Warnock was arguably where we stopped building a team and started playing Football League Stickerbook.

Yeah, I know he's experience, I know he's a good defender and he never gave anything less than one hundred percent in a Rams shirt. But he also lacked the pace and attacking ability to get forward in a team that demands pacey full-backs with attacking ability.

Olsson looks like good back-up to Forsyth.

So basically it's just the same situation as after Fozzy was injured - no more, no less. We had Warnock as the only left back for 3 months, now we have Olsson.

Nobody was moaning back in November, December or January - so what's changed?

I guess that some people want to have a go at Mel Morris, Darren Wassall and anybody else they can throw mud at any chance they can.

Archived