Stephen Warnock

TheDeadlySaul

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team I play for conceded a goal like the ones against Wolves and Rotherham. The attacker pulled off the cb on to the much shorter fb and easily beat him in the air. The blame laid squarely with the cb who had left him. As for the 2 goals Derby conceded in the aforementioned matches, Shackell should have been marking Saville and Best. But then again Shackell isn't allowed to have any faults in his defensive duties pointed out is he, so must be Keogh's fault, he always has a mistake in after all. 

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Warnock provided a good assist at the weekend. Got forward into the box, put a good ball in, and even showed pace for it.

Hope you were watching Wassall.

Having said that, and with all the concerns I have with Olsson, Christie was to blaime even more so at Rotherham when i watch the goals back again.

Thankfully he got dropped and now has returned a better player.

Good management?

Keown analysed one of Andy Carroll's goals from the weekend, think it was his third. It was a similar situation to the Rovrum equaliser where the attacker came in at the back post and won a header against the smaller full-back. In Keown's opinion, Bellerin had no chance and in that situation, Koscielny should have swapped places with Bellerin, pushing him more central, so Koscielny could go wide to cover Carroll. In the situation of the Rotherham goal, the same applies. Shackell should have pulled the full-back in and gone wide himself. If that happened I think Shackell would have defended it.

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Keown analysed one of Andy Carroll's goals from the weekend, think it was his third. It was a similar situation to the Rovrum equaliser where the attacker came in at the back post and won a header against the smaller full-back. In Keown's opinion, Bellerin had no chance and in that situation, Koscielny should have swapped places with Bellerin, pushing him more central, so Koscielny could go wide to cover Carroll. In the situation of the Rotherham goal, the same applies. Shackell should have pulled the full-back in and gone wide himself. If that happened I think Shackell would have defended it.

I'd have question for Keown.

How many times you see fb and cb swapping their men in modern football? You don't. Those situations happens so fastly that there is no time for that.

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

How many times you see fb and cb swapping their men in modern football? You don't. Those situations happens so fastly that there is no time for that.

mmm, usually a CB is on the oppositions strongest aerial threat. 

Carroll is one of the strongest aerial threats in Football, let alone at West Ham, why Debuchy was marking him I've no idea. 

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

mmm, usually a CB is on the oppositions strongest aerial threat. 

Carroll is one of the strongest aerial threats in Football, let alone at West Ham, why Debuchy was marking him I've no idea. 

In deadball situations yes. But that wasn't one, you have to play zonally in normal, quick crosses or otherwise you're automaticly late.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

That was one of the responses on MOTD. That it doesn't happen very often. Keown's response was that it's difficult to do, and should only be in exceptional cases, and argued that Arsenal should have allowed for that to happen when you have the greatest aerial threat in the league attacking you.

Of course you could be forgiven for not describing Leon Best as an 'exceptional threat', but in part of the planning for a game you should look at the strengths of particularly the opposition's attacking players, and try to make allowances to deal with those.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Get Warnock back. He is an excellent professional and likes playing for us. We may yet need him.

For the playoffs, perhaps.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Warnock is the best replacement for an injured Olsson. Warnock will desperately want his League winners medal at Wigan AND a Wembley appearance for us if he could get one.

Precisely. Olsson isn't injured, Warnock wouldn't be on our bench if we recalled him. We may as well leave him at Wigan, let him win the league, or get autos at very least, then he can come back to us for the play-offs if needed. If not then ta very much and he'll probably go to Wigan on a free.

Archived