Ssewankambo gone

DerbyPride

45 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Struggling with this one to be honest.

If we have taken the decision to sell the boy, with no obvious choice for cover at right back. Which in itself is particularly confusing?

What I find further more exasperating is who exactly made this decision, surely not our make shift manager. :o:(

Who, out of all the people at Derby County, is best qualified to make a decision on an academy player?

Hang on, don't tell me - I can get this......

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Duracell said:

The only thing I know about him from that is that he's quick. So is Theo Robinson. Not sure what he did in his appearances to suggest he was the next big thing. Those who know more than me tell me his positioning and decision making are very poor.

I've seen him a couple less times than Sage, I think, but have to agree. 

He's not even that fast - if the first 3 yards are in the brain then he's 5 yards away from what he needs to be.

That he hasn't pushed Christie (our 3rd best performer, really?) for a first team team place despite supposedly being the same sort of player speaks volumes.

Never saw him so i can't comment on his ability, but this is probably another one to attribute to our european scout.

Nothing lost and there are others from the academy getting pro contracts.

there are better prospects out there. 

38 minutes ago, sage said:

You mean the former Academy Manager who probably knows him better than anyone. He isn't good enough, so if someone offers a fee, it's goodbye.  

But it's not his job long term and therefore he shouldn't be selling players on just because he doesn't rate him. 

The next man in should be given opportunity to make that decision surely!

16 minutes ago, eddie said:

Who, out of all the people at Derby County, is best qualified to make a decision on an academy player?

Hang on, don't tell me - I can get this......

U21 football and first team football are 2 very different things, there will be young guns coming through the ranks tearing it up and when they get to the first team they haven't got it. 

So the same could be said in reverse, yes!?

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

But it's not his job long term and therefore he shouldn't be selling players on just because he doesn't rate him. 

The next man in should be given opportunity to make that decision surely!

He is an U21 player. Should be his call. Have you seen him play?

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Yeah I have and to me he had the attributes to at least be cover for our one and only right back at the club. IMHO that is. 

I have seen him play 7 times, Been poor on at least 5 of thos eoccasions. Gives the ball away and has no defensive positional sense

Blimey, everything really does have to result in an inquiry or witch hunt! Before the age of the internet and having the ability / need to know and comment on everything, the fact that an U21 player, with little/no first team experience for us and not really banging on the door of a first team place wouldn't have merited a shrug, nevermind all of this irrelevant introspection and mock-concern, -horror, -outrage at the idea of allowing him to further his career elsewhere, instead of rotting in our reserves. Releasing players in this way is just business as usual for a football club. You bring them in, you try them and if they don't work out you move them on.  Years ago, apart from the hardy souls who go to reserve games, many of us wouldn't even have heard of him.

The idea that Darren Wassall isn't the best person inthe club to judge this -particularly now he is running the 1st team as well as his knowledge of the academy - well, it just beggars belief... 

For those hand wringers worried about cover, well, presumably we could still go into the emergency loan market? Maybe DW considers this to be a better option than risking using a player he doesn't rate... if we can't get a loan in, well maybe we'll play a back three, or stick Keogh there, or Jeff or whoever will take this bloke's place in the U21s... or maybe it will never happen at all and everyone can sleep peacefully in their beds that we won't rue the day a player hardly anybody saw play isn't around anymore.

It's quite amusing the amount people kick off about losing a player they've seen probably twice and clearly hasn't impressed. Also these said people would sell half or our first team at least that are in the main internationals, it beggars belief!!

Quite a lot of players aren't making it.......

Atkins

etheridge

dryden

ssewankambo

hendrie

sharpe

hoganson

lelan 

obrien

tuite

gjokaj

Naylor

wixted

bunjaku

ball

doyle

others?

That is just life.  Most young players don't make it.

The question you need to ask is where are any of the above now?

Years ago, we were releasing the likes of Justin Phillips, Jonathan Davidson and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. Only one of them made a living out of football playing at the likes of Port Vale.  Justin Phillips' next job was a milkman.  Ramage and Paul Williams were the two who "made it" at that time.

Loads of youth team players fail to make the grade.  Nothing new here, just one of those things.

9 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

U21 football and first team football are 2 very different things, there will be young guns coming through the ranks tearing it up and when they get to the first team they haven't got it. 

So the same could be said in reverse, yes!?

That's an argument for never ever releasing a player - equally, it's an argument for never ever signing any player in the first place or even not bothering with an academy.

Tricky, yes?

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

That's an argument for never ever releasing a player - equally, it's an argument for never ever signing any player in the first place or even not bothering with an academy.

Tricky, yes?

Yes it's a tricky one, but DW shouldn't have the authority to release anyone as he isn't the manager in the long term......

Or is he???????

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Yes it's a tricky one, but DW shouldn't have the authority to release anyone as he isn't the manager in the long term......

Or is he???????

He's been sold, not released - players get sold - and the timing is such that the transfer window in Norway is open until the end of March only. Are you arguing that every day-to-day decision within the club should be put on hold until there is a permanent managerial appointment?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Quite a lot of players aren't making it.......

Atkins

etheridge

dryden

ssewankambo

hendrie

sharpe

hoganson

lelan 

obrien

tuite

gjokaj

Naylor

wixted

bunjaku

ball

doyle

others?

Doyle, O'brien, Lelan, Sharp and Naylor are all playing professional football

I think most of us are going by his name and not his performances. I was a bit shocked but the posters who have seen him are not that impressed and like someone said not far behind Christie in terms of age. I am no longer shocked after seeing opinions who have seen him play.

Archived