Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

God knows there's some drivel posted on here at times but surely this deservres special recognition.

Are you really suggesting a manager tells his team;

'Now lads, I believe you're actually capable of some really fluent, attractive winning football.  And to be honest if we did play this expansive game we could well entertain the fans, win more games than we lose, increase gates, draw the spotlight back on to the club and with a bit of luck might even make Wembley.

In fact I had a dream last night that if we played this way it might enable us to beat Forest 5 nil too.

But then, thank god, I woke up smelt the coffee.  We're going to play like that but not this week, or next week or the week after that.  Maybe next season, perhaps the on after.  After all I don't want to take off the shackles TOO SOON!'

The saying "Learn to walk before you run" springs to mind!

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand why some nutters love Nigel Clough so much? He did a good job of stabilising us, but ultimately he's a poor and extremely negative manager who was never going to take us beyond mid-table snoozefests.

And I certainly don't miss his constant falling out with players.

I really don't understand why some people have to resort to name calling or mocking others for posting their opinion.

Why for example is someone who rates Clough jnr's contribution to our club a nutter ? By all means disagree with an opinion but resorting to name calling is becoming the norm on here lately. Two decent posters have quit the forum recently and if this trend continues all that will be left will be the glass half empty and moaning ***** we seem to have been joined by in recent weeks.

And who wants to be part of that ? Think on. 

1 hour ago, Holdontightuk said:

Why is it never going to happen? Because Rush is staying whatever or MM is incapable of seeing how wrong the decision was at the time? Or the anti Clough brigade vocal minority continue to delude themselves......McClaren called the decision "very brave", stating at the time that he had inherited a very good team with great spirit. All he did was light the blue touch paper......too soon, before we were truly ready and likely under pressure from Rush. 

It's a simple enough conversation for MM....."Nigel, we were wrong, please come back. I'll write off the £25mill spent so far personally and here's another £25mill for you to spend more wisely should you need it. You've got 5 years but 3 would be nice". Then just let him get on with it. 

If ever a Manager represented the Derby Way, it was Nigel Clough. Slow but sure organic growth. The others and the current situation is based on short cuts to nowhere.   

During the time of the overly tight GSE the combination of (someone like) MM and NC would have been my dream team. We now have MM but I doubt NC will be leaving Burton anytime soon – despite the fact that managing Derby was probably his dream job.

I think we’ll get to the Promised Land eventually with MM as owner - but it'll probably be with yet another t**t of a manager like BD and SM who'd prefer it if they were managing some other team.

25 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I really don't understand why some people have to resort to name calling or mocking others for posting their opinion.

Why for example is someone who rates Clough jnr's contribution to our club a nutter ? By all means disagree with an opinion but resorting to name calling is becoming the norm on here lately. Two decent posters have quit the forum recently and if this trend continues all that will be left will be the glass half empty and moaning ***** we seem to have been joined by in recent weeks.

And who wants to be part of that ? Think on. 

Who quit?

2 hours ago, Holdontightuk said:

The mistakes started when Clough was sacked. 4 years of clearing out deadwood, rebuilding and laying new foundations. The seeds of future success were there for everyone to see: youth team players being promoted to first team; bargain signings with huge potential; small squad with great team spirit, togetherness and shared vision. Keogh, Buxton, Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Martin and Russell......all had bought in to this shared vision that Clough had created. But, we just weren't quite there, another piece or two still missing......Clough knew this but was having to continue to operate within extremely tight budgets. He just needed more time still, maybe not that much longer either. Or he needed some gentle encouraging with an increase in budget. 

I will always wonder what if....what if Rush hadn't joined? What if he had simply been more patient? What if Clough had been given let's say £5 million? What if, what if?? 

But no, once again the Ego's landed and the essence of what had been created was completely missed by everyone.....Rush, the Americans, Morris and the fans. 

We deserve to be where we are now. Clough's achievements recorded as failure by the myopic majority. Crazy money provided to short term managers who were never really committed to DCFC. It's so dire really, its laughable. 

MM could do much worse than turn the clock back and try to start again with the same guy.

No to CLUELESS NIGEL CLOUGH! 

I would not bring Nigel back. I don't believe that he had/has the capability to improve us beyond what he did before he was sacked. 

That being said, it's disappointing to see his contribution boiled down to easy name-calling of NLN or clueless. He did a fantastic job for us in extremely difficult circumstances. I don't think we should minimise the amount of effort it took to sort out the clusterf*ck that Davies and Jewell left behind them. Considering where we were as a club when Clough took charge, and where we were when he left, he put us into a great position, for someone to come along, who could pick things up, and take us on yet further, which is pretty much what McClaren did. 

Clough gave us stability, and incremental improvement at a time when we should have been happy just to stay in the division while the off-the-field mess was sorted out.

As I said, he wouldn't be the right man for us now, but he was the right man, for what we needed, when he came here, and personally, I saw his tenure as a success - it's just a shame that he couldn't take us all the way, but everyone has their limitations, he shouldn't be ridiculed for that given the job he did for us.

Wolfie20....he wasn't given any money, yet we've managed to blow almost £30mill since he left including loan signings. It's laughable how short memories are. He performed a minor miracle in what he achieved and some of the foundations he created and he was clearly completely committed to the club. Yet some on here would have Rowett instead (really?!). Its hilarious how some on here think Pearson or Warburton offer up any more potential to us, when we could have 2 out and out Derby men leading us in Clough and MM. Just cut out the middle man in Rush. 

5 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I would not bring Nigel back. I don't believe that he had/has the capability to improve us beyond what he did before he was sacked. 

That being said, it's disappointing to see his contribution boiled down to easy name-calling of NLN or clueless. He did a fantastic job for us in extremely difficult circumstances. I don't think we should minimise the amount of effort it took to sort out the clusterf*ck that Davies and Jewell left behind them. Considering where we were as a club when Clough took charge, and where we were when he left, he put us into a great position, for someone to come along, who could pick things up, and take us on yet further, which is pretty much what McClaren did. 

Clough gave us stability, and incremental improvement at a time when we should have been happy just to stay in the division while the off-the-field mess was sorted out.

As I said, he wouldn't be the right man for us now, but he was the right man, for what we needed, when he came here, and personally, I saw his tenure as a success - it's just a shame that he couldn't take us all the way, but everyone has their limitations, he shouldn't be ridiculed for that given the job he did for us.

Next Season:

Burton 3 Derby 0

Let's all have a chat, then.

Archived