Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

The mistakes started when Clough was sacked. 4 years of clearing out deadwood, rebuilding and laying new foundations. The seeds of future success were there for everyone to see: youth team players being promoted to first team; bargain signings with huge potential; small squad with great team spirit, togetherness and shared vision. Keogh, Buxton, Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Martin and Russell......all had bought in to this shared vision that Clough had created. But, we just weren't quite there, another piece or two still missing......Clough knew this but was having to continue to operate within extremely tight budgets. He just needed more time still, maybe not that much longer either. Or he needed some gentle encouraging with an increase in budget. 

I will always wonder what if....what if Rush hadn't joined? What if he had simply been more patient? What if Clough had been given let's say £5 million? What if, what if?? 

But no, once again the Ego's landed and the essence of what had been created was completely missed by everyone.....Rush, the Americans, Morris and the fans. 

We deserve to be where we are now. Clough's achievements recorded as failure by the myopic majority. Crazy money provided to short term managers who were never really committed to DCFC. It's so dire really, its laughable. 

MM could do much worse than turn the clock back and try to start again with the same guy.

And the award for Best Troll goes to...

6 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

I think Clough was doing well at Sheffield United and, once again, fell victim to deluded people above him......are they doing better this year without him? Are Derby, some 3 years and £25mill later? No to both!

Ain't got a problem with young cloughie but yes we doing better than when he was here and have done since he left. Anyhoo you are Barbara Clough an I claim my £25 mil

Overall i think Clough had more good buys than bad (or we just remember the good) he did a good job steadying the ship. 

But he wasnt next level, the chief scout was his brother and a newsagent.

The scouting network consisted of the Scottish B team and burton albion. If we'd of gave clough 25mil we would have just bought Burton Albion. Or why spend money when theres deals like Ben Pringle to sign. 

As soon as big mac came in we were instantly better. Better coaching, players had belief no more non league nigel.

Mac had far better contacts. look at the deals in the loan market brought in wisdom, ibe, bamford & ince all loans through having contact and respect in the football world. Nigel loaned reserve team players from championsip sides that at the time were equally as crap as us

Mac took us to the next level 

5 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

Yeah and whilst you're at it do the same for Man Utd fans during Ferguson's first few years! 

Wasn't that partly down to redevelopment at Old Trafford? either way Fergie was around to win the fans over, Clough wasn't so if a poll was able to be done it would be interesting to see how many would be in favour of Clough returning. 

No, but given the situation we are now in regarding squad size, lack of cohesive "team" etc, I can see a certain attraction. I could also see Nigel buying into large parts of the Derby way (including youth development which really started whilst Nigel was here and with Wassall taking up the academy job). However, he's a bit too limited in certain respects. We wouldn't have spent excessivly for example, but would we have ever attracted George Thorne for example under Nigel?

In truth, a manager that had Nigel's virtues without his flaws would be very very good full stop.

I also think after the way he was sacked he'd never consider coming back here. He was a stubborn bugger.

3 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

McClaren just took the shackles off....too soon. If I was MM, I'd be crawling over broken glass to bring Clough back. 

God knows there's some drivel posted on here at times but surely this deservres special recognition.

Are you really suggesting a manager tells his team;

'Now lads, I believe you're actually capable of some really fluent, attractive winning football.  And to be honest if we did play this expansive game we could well entertain the fans, win more games than we lose, increase gates, draw the spotlight back on to the club and with a bit of luck might even make Wembley.

In fact I had a dream last night that if we played this way it might enable us to beat Forest 5 nil too.

But then, thank god, I woke up smelt the coffee.  We're going to play like that but not this week, or next week or the week after that.  Maybe next season, perhaps the on after.  After all I don't want to take off the shackles TOO SOON!'

59 minutes ago, Holdontightuk said:

The mistakes started when Clough was sacked. 4 years of clearing out deadwood, rebuilding and laying new foundations. The seeds of future success were there for everyone to see: youth team players being promoted to first team; bargain signings with huge potential; small squad with great team spirit, togetherness and shared vision. Keogh, Buxton, Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Martin and Russell......all had bought in to this shared vision that Clough had created. But, we just weren't quite there, another piece or two still missing......Clough knew this but was having to continue to operate within extremely tight budgets. He just needed more time still, maybe not that much longer either. Or he needed some gentle encouraging with an increase in budget. 

I will always wonder what if....what if Rush hadn't joined? What if he had simply been more patient? What if Clough had been given let's say £5 million? What if, what if?? 

But no, once again the Ego's landed and the essence of what had been created was completely missed by everyone.....Rush, the Americans, Morris and the fans. 

We deserve to be where we are now. Clough's achievements recorded as failure by the myopic majority. Crazy money provided to short term managers who were never really committed to DCFC. It's so dire really, its laughable. 

MM could do much worse than turn the clock back and try to start again with the same guy.

Yes, lets go back to year in year out 33% win rate!

McClaren with the shackles on would be an option. But when has he ever developed a team organically? Clough did it at Burton and look where they are now. I don't think anyone can argue that he didn't lay the foundations for their current over-achieving. 

Regards his "flaws"....he was managing with his hands tied behind his back and the defensive approach was born out of this. Give him what we gave McClaren and Clement and we would be ahead of where we are now, in my opinion. 

The problems started when Rush arrived. I doubt MM has got either the balls or the vision to see this mind you. 

Archived