Rams Fans down under...Help required.

Monkeytennis12345

Just a quick question. 

My family and I are emigrating to Oz in May ( The day after the last home game of the season....!) and I'm looking for Rams supporters clubs/groups in Melbourne. 

After 44 years of watching The Rams, I'm (OBVIOUSLY!) going to really miss my weekly dose of Derby,being the masochist that I am, so want to hook-up with like-minded fools down under.

Any good links, please?

Ta........  

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how dated the information is, but the contact details for the Australian branch of the supporters club (ramsfans.co.uk) is listed as:

Australia: Luke Bozzetto, lukebozzetto87@gmail.com Mobile phone 0413 183 436

Would probably be a good place to start. 

1 hour ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

It came out of the blue. I work in the Airline industry and was offered a role with Jetstar. Too good a chance to turn down. Head office is 5 mins walk from the MCG! However, I currently live 5 mins walk from Pride Park. Going to really miss my weekly dose of Black and White . 

Great stuff - my Aussie pals swear by Jetstar and I use it when I'm down that way. I know it looks a big if at the moment, but if we make it up you'll be able to watch a lot of the games on the tellybox.

2 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

It came out of the blue. I work in the Airline industry and was offered a role with Jetstar. Too good a chance to turn down. Head office is 5 mins walk from the MCG! However, I currently live 5 mins walk from Pride Park. Going to really miss my weekly dose of Black and White . 

But on the upside according to my brother in law, a day at the boxing day test at the mcg is one of sports great institutions. 

17 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

But on the upside according to my brother in law, a day at the boxing day test at the mcg is one of sports great institutions. 

That's already on the cards !! My new boss down under is from Long Eaton and we used to play in the same cricket team. He goes to the test every year ! 

Thanks for the best wishes, chaps. If we can get up this season then it'll be one helluva send off !! 

I used to live in Melbourne and the only other Rams fan I know there is my sister! Unfortunately she is also moving back to the UK come April. I will see if she has met any Rams fans whilst living there because she knows quite a few people there from the homeland!

Just do what I do, get drunk and persuade people to support Derby. Well I at least try to.

2 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

The whole MCG area is awesome, the australian open tennis courts are there too and one of the football teams stadiums. Melbourne is a fantastic city.

5 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I used to live in Melbourne and the only other Rams fan I know there is my sister! Unfortunately she is also moving back to the UK come April. I will see if she has met any Rams fans whilst living there because she knows quite a few people there from the homeland!

Just do what I do, get drunk and persuade people to support Derby. Well I at least try to.

The whole MCG area is awesome, the australian open tennis courts are there too and one of the football teams stadiums. Melbourne is a fantastic city.

Don't worry. I shall be spreading the word....I'm sure I shall find a few hidden in the suburbs.

And you're right about the MCG area. It's like sporting heaven ! All that's missing is Pride Park and The Brunswick .......

Just now, Monkeytennis12345 said:

Don't worry. I shall be spreading the word....I'm sure I shall find a few hidden in the suburbs.

And you're right about the MCG area. It's like sporting heaven ! All that's missing is Pride Park and The Brunswick .......

I did think about suggesting to Derby that they do a wimbledon and move the club. I know its a tiny bit further than Wimbledon to MK, but the weather is to die for alone. Decent food as well, although some of the recognised chains do some questionable things differently than they do here. 

Derby County is one of reasons I came back, I remember watching the forest home game in Adelaide last year, I slammed my laptop shut and basically screamed. I think at that time of night people wondered what I was doing haha. 

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Melbourne isn't that far from Derby. It's even closer than Burton. Might be more Fester fans though :ph34r:

Have lived in Melbourne for 26 years and am absolutely Derby mad. First watched them in the Tim Ward era so remember King Kev, Roy Mac, Charlie and all the greats. You will love Melbourne as it's a sporting paradise as well as a great place to live. Although nothing can quite replace the mighty Rams, you'll find yourself spoilt for choice for sport. And all the stadiums are amazing.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Melbourne isn't that far from Derby. It's even closer than Burton. Might be more Fester fans though :ph34r:

Its pretty close to Derby, one of my relatives is from there and they support Derby! WE ARE EVERYWHERE

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Have lived in Melbourne for 26 years and am absolutely Derby mad. First watched them in the Tim Ward era so remember King Kev, Roy Mac, Charlie and all the greats. You will love Melbourne as it's a sporting paradise as well as a great place to live. Although nothing can quite replace the mighty Rams, you'll find yourself spoilt for choice for sport. And all the stadiums are amazing.

The Etihad stadium is great, went to watch the big bash there last year. Good atmosphere and surprisingly all the Aussies loved Pieterson when he came out to bat. 

Archived