Formula One Championship - 2016 Season

RicME85

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Scary moment there, Raikkonen losing it on the straight and narrowly missing cars at full speed.

Yeah, and vettels...think I would be changing my pants

35 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Vestappen can be a cock, but that was an incredible drive - only a matter of time before he wins his first championship with that much natural talent.....

He's exciting to watch. I agree 2 or 3 years tops

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Vestappen can be a cock, but that was an incredible drive - only a matter of time before he wins his first championship with that much natural talent.....

If I was his age, and had his lifestyle and job, I'd be a far bigger cock tbf.

15 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

F1 eh?

Did someone drive faster than someone else?

Yeah, they did, because they had a faster car.  It's amazing how the drivers with the fast cars always win! F1 will work just as well when it's driverless cars doing all the racing. 

5 hours ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, they did, because they had a faster car.  It's amazing how the drivers with the fast cars always win! F1 will work just as well when it's driverless cars doing all the racing. 

If that was the case, drivers in the same team would do identical lap times every lap of every race.

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

So how come team-mates don't cross the line in exactly the same position in every single race?

And it simply isn't true that the driver in th fastest car wins. Average drivers in good cars very rarely win (nor find themselves in good cars anyway), and world class drivers like Hamilton can win in average cars.

You could also say the same about football. What's Messi going to win in a crap team?

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

So how come team-mates don't cross the line in exactly the same position in every single race?

And it simply isn't true that the driver in th fastest car wins. Average drivers in good cars very rarely win (nor find themselves in good cars anyway), and world class drivers like Hamilton can win in average cars.

You could also say the same about football. What's Messi going to win in a crap team?

Poor, poor analogy. Football is a team game and Messi is the ultimate team player. Football, when played the right way is rewarding of itself without winning anything.

Watching Brazil and Holland as a kid, Spain and Barca more recently, Steve's Derby of 2013/14 was a thing of poetic epicness.

Witnessing sublime interchanges and balletic movement of a team in sync, in thought and deed, warms the cockles like driving fast round a tarmac circuit never could.

I don't mean to be too critical of F1, I used to be a fan myself years ago.  But then I realised what I found most exciting were the crashes (hoping no one got seriously hurt).  Of course it's true to say that the drivers are talented and they do have an influence on the outcome of the race.  But a far larger influence than the driver, is the quality of the car.  This year for example, there are what, 20 drivers?, and yet everyone knew that only 2 have the equipment to win the title. The only person a driver can be measured against is their teammate.  That's why F1 is much more of an engineering project than a sport in my eyes.

The analogy with Messi would only work if his greatness was mostly due to his superior football boots. 

7 hours ago, Duracell said:

Hamilton has never won a race in an average car. Senna did, Alonso has.

Thought I don't like certain things about him, particularly his God stuff and that every photo he posts is always a pose, you can certainly see he is immense behind the wheel of an F1 car.

I would still rate Alonso as the best driver on the grid and it's a crying shame he's not in the other Merc, as it's a one team championship at the moment.

I really hope that next season we can have a closing up of performance, particularly Red Bull, Ferrari and especially McLaren.  A 5 way fight for the title (Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Alonso and Vettel) would go a long way to determining how good Lewis really is.

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Hamilton has never won a race in an average car. Senna did, Alonso has.

Thought I don't like certain things about him, particularly his God stuff and that every photo he posts is always a pose, you can certainly see he is immense behind the wheel of an F1 car.

I would still rate Alonso as the best driver on the grid and it's a crying shame he's not in the other Merc, as it's a one team championship at the moment.

I really hope that next season we can have a closing up of performance, particularly Red Bull, Ferrari and especially McLaren.  A 5 way fight for the title (Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Alonso and Vettel) would go a long way to determining how good Lewis really is.

I would argue that he won with McLaren in 2009 in an average car, and again 2013 in the Mercedes.

OK maybe not totally average but certainly not the best car by any means.

Teams don't just put any driver in the best cars. If someone like Paul d'resta was in the Mercedes this year would he have had the wins Hamilton or rosberg, I doubt it. 

You don't win 52 races without being a great driver regardless if the cars you have driven.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope Rosberg gets it over the line this weekend.

It's been tedious this year, but it'd be cruel if Hamilton snatched it for the second time in his career.

Lets hope next year's rule changes make for better racing and someone has the balls to kill DRS for ever. If you want passing like that watch a motorway for 2 hours.

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just hope Rosberg gets it over the line this weekend.

It's been tedious this year, but it'd be cruel if Hamilton snatched it for the second time in his career.

Lets hope next year's rule changes make for better racing and someone has the balls to kill DRS for ever. If you want passing like that watch a motorway for 2 hours.

I hope Rosberg loses, whilst Hamilton can be grating at times, Rosberg is an utter miserable mardy spoilt bitch slapped child. Love to see him crying after he takes himself out by trying to be cleverer than he is.

However it's in the bag as I expect Mercedes will make sure he wins, as they have done all season.

Archived