Baird to Fulham

RamLad1884

Bit harsh, some of you. I thought it was a solid signing at the time. Baird fixed all our shortcomings of last season: Christie was crap and we all thought he still would be, we'd lost all DM cover with Mascerell and Eustace going, and there wasn't enough experienced ex-prem "leaders" on the pitch to stop us bottling it. He never got a fair crack at it, really. Most people were ready to slate him after only a couple of appearances.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Bit harsh, some of you. I thought it was a solid signing at the time. Baird fixed all our shortcomings of last season: Christie was crap and we all thought he still would be, we'd lost all DM cover with Mascerell and Eustace going, and there wasn't enough experienced ex-prem "leaders" on the pitch to stop us bottling it. He never got a fair crack at it, really. Most people were ready to slate him after only a couple of appearances.

VERY harsh some are being.

Good signing on the face of it - right back needed because Cyrus was very poor for the second half of the season; experienced pro; current international in a team doing well; good talker on the pitch; and clearly influential in the dressing room; Premier league experience.

He had a good start to the season and not his fault he got injured or sent off or whatever it was and then Cyrus rediscovered his form; not his fault either that he was offered and accepted the captain role.  He did his best, caused no trouble but was overtaken in his main position by a younger and quicker player. Not his fault.

Good luck and thank you Chris Baird and I hope the summer goes well for you

One of the best crosses was made by Baird from full back... forget which game it was brentford maybe or Wolves dunno.

He wasnt that bad but I guess with Bucko back we are trying to save some money.

Christie finished last season in poor form so chris evans (?) identified a cheapo over the hill short term signing instead of a proper exciting definately one to take us forward kind of a guy.

then christie came good 

good move for both parties at this point as there is no way Baird will want to sit on the bench.

i see hanson played RB for the u21s the other day but if christie got injured we'd could always do a phil brown and pick rory delap.

yes, in theory he wasn't a bad signing

But the idea of making him club captain was just the first of many shambolic, unfathormable decisions by our dear departed leader - possibly his earliest indication of being utterly out of his depth.

The fact of the matter is that he wasn't needed at Derby County, never fit in at Derby County and was never wanted at Derby County. Only he can try and make sense of why that happened.

47 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

One of the best crosses was made by Baird from full back... forget which game it was brentford maybe or Wolves dunno.

He wasnt that bad but I guess with Bucko back we are trying to save some money.

I think more to the point we are trying to forge a united squad again, instead of the fragmented shambles it has become.

A few quotes from the Fulham forum

Better than what we have and a leader which we don't have many of.

Great to see him back. Just for his presence if nothing else. A leader we've been wanting at least.

Amazing! Absolutely love this guy's character and one of my favourite recent Fulham players! Really shouldn't have been allowed to leave in the first place as he was a great influence in the dressing room

I would absolutely start him in defensive midfield ahead of ince and parker. Delighted with this news!

Sitting at work and just had to tell my colleague as I was beaming, fab news!

He is a warrior and a leader, and he is versatile, so it can only be a plus to have him in the ranks.

I'm very pleased about this and had thought that he might have returned in the summer.

Welcome back Chris,at last we sign a TEAM player!

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=52755.0

3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

He's garbage and pointless as a utility player as we have better back up in his position literally adds nothing to the squad 

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Bit harsh, some of you. I thought it was a solid signing at the time. Baird fixed all our shortcomings of last season: Christie was crap and we all thought he still would be, we'd lost all DM cover with Mascerell and Eustace going, and there wasn't enough experienced ex-prem "leaders" on the pitch to stop us bottling it. He never got a fair crack at it, really. Most people were ready to slate him after only a couple of appearances.

Unfortunately I think those two reasons and maybe as back up for Christie explain the signing to me. We lost the wise old head and utility player Eustace offered. Baird was seen as a replacement cover for Thorne coming back, particularly with Omar gone too and Hanson probably deemed raw. Add he also could fill at right back competition to Christie until he recovered his mojo, if at all.

Probably a cheap short term Championship level fit on the face of it, with the bonus of experience. He was never a fit John Eustace though (did I say that), the captaincy decision was truly baffling, would never boo him playing for us in a game, but never in a million years would he be guaranteed a regular start, if others were fit and playing to potential.

2 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Its astonishing how much time you have on your hands 

Only took me 2 minutes, found it interesting that not one negative comment from them. Even more interesting was "leader" being mentioned several times when myself included thought giving him the captain arm band was a mistake. 6 years at Fulham, they will know him better than us.

Archived