Shotton to Birmingham

CornwallRam

21 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Reasonably mobile CB, versatile and scored a few from set-pieces. Not quite the standard of defender we needed, but will probably be decent enough at Brum.

Good luck to him.

Shotton is athletic and quite skillful for a defender. The problem is his anticipation -- especially when long ball is coming his wall. Actually, many Spanish CBs have the same problem (hello Albentosa!), probably because the Spanish game does not require this skill (they keep the ball on the ground).

The lack of anticipation explains why he is never being considered as a proper CB.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the Shotton signing on paper. Strong, athletic, experienced defender at the right age, versatile.

In practice he was abject dog **** from the first time he pulled on a shirt and it was an astonishing decision to sign him after what we saw in the loan period.

Thans **** he's gone, good luck to him, hope to never see him in a Derby shirt again. ****.

• 3 weeks later...

Shotton is nowhere near as bad as some made out, yes we didn't see the best of him but when you're playing a bit part role across the defence you are never likely to. Warnock Leeds player of the season before joining us for example has gone from being an absolute donkey to a decent defender, just his name on the team sheet at 2pm a few months ago triggered loud boo's across the forum and social media.

Funny how a run in the team has seen him produce much better performances and even after signing Olsson is still on the members team sheets in the match day threads.

By the way, I'm not saying Shotton should never have been let go, it was the right call as he wasn't going to get games here. Just that it's no surprise Birmingham fans have taken to him. 

Just now, SecretDave said:

He's only played one match for them. Bob Malcolm looked awesome for us when he played in his first match lol!

Shhhhhhh!

Don't utter his name you fool, lest he re-appear and remind us that that whole period wasn't a nightmare after all! :(

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

Shotton is nowhere near as bad as some made out, yes we didn't see the best of him but when you're playing a bit part role across the defence you are never likely to. Warnock Leeds player of the season before joining us for example has gone from being an absolute donkey to a decent defender, just his name on the team sheet at 2pm a few months ago triggered loud boo's across the forum and social media.

Funny how a run in the team has seen him produce much better performances and even after signing Olsson is still on the members team sheets in the match day threads.

By the way, I'm not saying Shotton should never have been let go, it was the right call as he wasn't going to get games here. Just that it's no surprise Birmingham fans have taken to him. 

Said it before but I think he is  a good play that is let down by his versatility. If he had settled in to one position earlier on in his career I think he would of been a better player but he has become a jack of all trades but a master of none.

As you say, a run in the team does wonders for a player, Warnock is a great example, written off a year ago when in and out of the team then lauded by the fans this season once he had a number of games under his belt. Bent has needed a run in the team but Clement either didnt play him or gave him pointless cameos, 5mins here and there isnt going to help anyone, no matter how good a player you are. Some on here disagree and think training matches are enough to be up to speed to come into the matchday squad and be on it straight away.

4 hours ago, Daveo said:

Absolutely spot on. Regular football is crucial, especially for some players.  It's possible of course that he is one of those players who suffers from lapses in concentration and maintaining levels of concentration for 90 minutes is more crucial for defenders (and goalkeepers) than it is for other players. One lapse can turn a good performance into a bad one.  I wonder will Birmingham fans continue to have high opinions of him, if the mistakes start to creep in.  Still i wish him the best, he has plenty of ability. 

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It's possible of course that he is one of those players who suffers from lapses in concentration and maintaining levels of concentration for 90 minutes is more crucial for defenders (and goalkeepers) than it is for other players. 

Rio Ferdinand was pretty bad for lapses of concentration at one point after moving to United, cost them quite a few goals, turned out alright in the end.

32 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Absolutely spot on. Regular football is crucial, especially for some players.  It's possible of course that he is one of those players who suffers from lapses in concentration and maintaining levels of concentration for 90 minutes is more crucial for defenders (and goalkeepers) than it is for other players. One lapse can turn a good performance into a bad one.  I wonder will Birmingham fans continue to have high opinions of him, if the mistakes start to creep in.  Still i wish him the best, he has plenty of ability. 

20 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Rio Ferdinand was pretty bad for lapses of concentration at one point after moving to United, cost them quite a few goals, turned out alright in the end.

Shotton is more reminiscent of Titus Bramble for my money... Seems to have all the attributes to make a great centre back... yet lack of concentration plus being far too complacent seems to cost him again and again... Just too much of a liability...

He bided his time but that first game Albentosa played in a back 3 where Keogh was shifted to the right, he was fantastic as the centre back. He was telling people what to do, totally dominant in the air, and just seemed imperious back there. He made one wayward pass as I recall. Then boom, in typical fashion, he was dropped. Remember thinking at the time, that he was probably pulling his hair out, thinking why did they bring me in if they are sticking me on the bench after I play like that. Happens far too much at Derby - Blackman, Camara, etc etc. We go get a player then dump them on the bench and out of the match day squad. If we get a strong player you can wait a few games but once they play they need to keep playing. Otherwise don't get them. In the past year, players seem to get worse after we bring them in, and that needs to change. Shotton will be fantastic for Birmingham, you just watch.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

He bided his time but that first game Albentosa played in a back 3 where Keogh was shifted to the right, he was fantastic as the centre back. He was telling people what to do, totally dominant in the air, and just seemed imperious back there. He made one wayward pass as I recall. Then boom, in typical fashion, he was dropped. Remember thinking at the time, that he was probably pulling his hair out, thinking why did they bring me in if they are sticking me on the bench after I play like that. 

From memory that was chesterfield in the cup.

Albentosa was substituted at half time.

last season we had keogh, shotton and rawson - all right side centre backs. I can't really understand why we needed another one unless we were going to sell keogh, because at 26/27 RA would not want to come here to be a squad player. 

We might have wanted a left footed centre back.

We had whitbread and bucko but whitbread was often unfit and bucko got injured. In trying to replace bucko, schteve used shotton, albentosa, forsyth and whitbread as left side centre back, but clearly none of them really could do the job as none of them made the position theirs. 

He also might have wanted an alternative right back to christie.

albentosa wasn't what we needed. The signing was another example of square pegs for round holes.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

From memory that was chesterfield in the cup.

Albentosa was substituted at half time.

last season we had keogh, shotton and rawson - all right side centre backs. I can't really understand why we needed another one unless we were going to sell keogh, because at 26/27 RA would not want to come here to be a squad player. 

We might have wanted a left footed centre back.

We had whitbread and bucko but whitbread was often unfit and bucko got injured. In trying to replace bucko, schteve used shotton, albentosa, forsyth and whitbread as left side centre back, but clearly none of them really could do the job as none of them made the position theirs. 

He also might have wanted an alternative right back to christie.

albentosa wasn't what we needed. The signing was another example of square pegs for round holes.

The idea might have been to move Keogh over to right back as Christie was out of form at the time. But you couple the dropping with the club not truly taking care if the lad and it was never going to work. I also recall he never hoofed in that match but later on when Mcclaren kept banging on about results over performances, he looked awful in his cameos - grabbing people exposed for pace and clearing versus playing out. Came across to me like he was playing in a style he thought mac wanted rather than doing what he did at Eibar. Another recent example of a player that we made worse.

Archived