Tennis

SaintRam

Anyone seen the Canadian tennis player, **** the umpire with a ball, then get disqualified when the tie with GB was in the balance at 2-2 in a best of 5 series. Think its on BBC website now.

Was on the red button all weekend i think, because they were no andy murray, BBC probably pulled it from beeb1 and 2.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Anyone seen the Canadian tennis player, **** the umpire with a ball, then get disqualified when the tie with GB was in the balance at 2-2 in a best of 5 series. Think its on BBC website now.

Was on the red button all weekend i think, because they were no andy murray, BBC probably pulled it from beeb1 and 2.

Felt sorry for the guy. Think he's only 17, lost his rag then belted the ball away. Unfortunately for him it hit the umpire and if he had another 100 attempts I'd wager he wouldn't hit him again if he tried - at least not in the eye.

Poor fellow was very apologetic and looked distraught at what had happened.

• 3 months later...

Nadal is a monster on Clay.

If he surpasses Federer's 18 grand slams (Nadal's on 15) by winning the next four French Opens (not entirely impossible) would that make him the best player ever?

IMO Federer is like Messi, in that it's just more natural, whereas Nadal is such a powerful athlete like Ronaldo (obviously with great skill too) where he is just ruthless in blowing his opponents away.

Fed will always be the best ever in my eyes, like Messi, but the numbers ultimately decides it right? 

Will be interesting to see if Nadal can produce again on grass and hard court. 

• 7 months later...
52 minutes ago, Andicis said:

British number 2 Kyle Edmund has reached the semis of the Australian open, hopefully he can beat Cillic in the semis and get to the finals vs Federer. 

Quite incredible really.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

He seems to have come from nowhere, rank 49 before this tournament, looking to be moving into slot 25 after this one, hopefully it gives him a lot of confidence going forward.

Reckon his exposure to Davis Cup matches has helped him. Not only being alongside Murray but the whole playing big games scenario it brings about. Can’t be easy as a youngster playing in front of sometimes hostile crowds, good prep for him when playing outside the U.K in big tournaments.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Reckon his exposure to Davis Cup matches has helped him. Not only being alongside Murray but the whole playing big games scenario it brings about. Can’t be easy as a youngster playing in front of sometimes hostile crowds, good prep for him when playing outside the U.K in big tournaments.

I agree with this. I was worried about British tennis after Murray retires, but hopefully this guy can take up the mantle, as he's only 23, and has plenty of years ahead of him. 

I don't understand how Murrays ranking has dropped, I thought there was some sort of protected ranking system in place for long term injurys?

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I don't understand how Murrays ranking has dropped, I thought there was some sort of protected ranking system in place for long term injurys?

Protected ranking kicks in after a player has been out for 6 months. Basically it means that once they come back, their eligibility for entry into tournaments reverts back to as it was when they first got injured (or the equivalent of their average ranking over the first 3 months of their injury). That guarantee holds for the first dozen or so tournaments they play. They would normally be unseeded, but at least they get a guaranteed entry.

2 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Watched Federer v Cilic.Great 5 set Grand Slam final and Fed won again, his 20th grand slam.

Greatest of all-time no question imo.

I watched it too. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with it as a spectacle. Was kind of a weird five-setter where the games seemed to fly by at times. Very few rallies and lots of unforced errors on both sides.

Fed looked totally in control in the fourth until his served dropped to like 36%.

Thought Cilic was going to win it then as he started batting off some great winners, but he had a really poor last set with most of his shots finding the net.

Wasn't a classic. Don't think Fed played that well, he didn't need to at times as he just chipped the backhand back on to Cilic's backhand and waited for him to make a mistake rather than go looking for outright winners.

It was more a tactical approach, but it got him over the line. No doubt Fed is the best ever.

20th career slam for Federer, and this at the age of 36.

A truly phenomenal sportsman, one of the greatest I've ever seen in any sport.

His landmark achievement not enough to earn him top billing on Sky Sports News though. A twenty second mention just 2 hours after he won in Melbourne, squeezed in after a lengthy Graeme Murty pre-match interview for the historic Ross County vs Rangers clash, is all that Federer's achievement seemed to warrant. 

Could it be Sky Sports News considers the sports they are trying to flog us to be more newsworthy?

Archived