One of the best days ever !!

loweman2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely to see the late, great Rob Hindmarch. It was a few years after his passing away that I found out about it. He was a true leader, bringing all the players together as  one on and off the pitch. We need one of the current lot to do the same thing. Bucko sounds the closest thing to him in this squad. Pity he's not actually playing, but he could still have a positive effect in the dressing room. Maybe one of the others could pick up from where he leaves off and drag us through this rough patch. Problem is I can't see anyone to do it at the moment. Perhaps Johnson or Thorne, if Bucko has a word in their shell-likes....

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

For those who there v Plymouth, I'm sure you remember that we were actually losing 1-0 into the second half and then the news swept around the BBG that Portsmouth had let one in! The crowd settled down, the players heard it too, relaxed, stepped up a gear and scored 4. Thank you very much. Bobby and Cally in particular scoring absolute belters.

Well, that's me cheered up for the weekend.

All a bit vague for some that was there! Remember hitting Sadlergate that night and everywhere was intoxicated with the excitement of it all, then copious amounts of booze rotted the memory.

Thing that stood out that season, when we were on form and broke quick Cally caused a real buzz, you just always expected something to happen. Phil Gee seemed like Linford Christie, nobody could catch him in that league and Bobby was our battering Ram. Just always felt we would win.

Anyone remember was that the season at Sheffield when we slipped the winner through John Burridge's legs? That away end was heaving that day and boy didn't we make some noise, well that's my memory of it.

13 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

All a bit vague for some that was there! Remember hitting Sadlergate that night and everywhere was intoxicated with the excitement of it all, then copious amounts of booze rotted the memory.

Thing that stood out that season, when we were on form and broke quick Cally caused a real buzz, you just always expected something to happen. Phil Gee seemed like Linford Christie, nobody could catch him in that league and Bobby was our battering Ram. Just always felt we would win.

Anyone remember was that the season at Sheffield when we slipped the winner through John Burridge's legs? That away end was heaving that day and boy didn't we make some noise, well that's my memory of it.

We did Bramhall Lane twice in 2 years - 86 in the cup (1-0 Hindmarch) and then 87 (1-0 Gee) meaning we were a win from promotion. Both big Derby away days but 87 was 10,000+. Not bad for a 18000 crowd! Pretty sure we had over half of Sincil Bank and Meadow Lane in them days.

As for the nutmeg thru fat Budgie, you'll like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLC93FED1145C1ED1F&v=eOGU4aAlVeM

5 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I've just gone all nostalgic ,I am on the top photo somewhere.

Me too KK, I would have been close to the right edge of the photo somewhere near where the shade meets the sun at the back of the Popside.

Just made the weekend a tad better that. Amazing photo's, great days!

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

We did Bramhall Lane twice in 2 years - 86 in the cup (1-0 Hindmarch) and then 87 (1-0 Gee) meaning we were a win from promotion. Both big Derby away days but 87 was 10,000+. Not bad for a 18000 crowd! Pretty sure we had over half of Sincil Bank and Meadow Lane in them days.

As for the nutmeg thru fat Budgie, you'll like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLC93FED1145C1ED1F&v=eOGU4aAlVeM

That's the one. As if to prove my point Cally pass and Gee scoots off. Was on the top deck and nearly ended up on the lower, mental that day.

I was on the pop side that day and it was the culmination of an amazing and truly happy two years of being a Rams supporter.

you are right Timbuktoo, we were indeed losing

the one thing that sticks in my mind more than anything else that day was that Bobby Davison scored an unbelievably skilful and majestically clever goal , which just demonstrated how he had got better and better and better for us over his time at the club, from the raw and aggressive striker we signed from little Halifax Town. He had a one on one with the keeper, odds on to lose it and even if he got there first, there was surely no real chance of scoring. But he did get their first and did an unbelievably subtle and amazing chip over the advancing keeper that Pele would have been proud of. 

What a player he was. 

And what a day it was. 

Whatever happens today and whatever downs we may suffer , those memories continue to burn bright and always will do 

37 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I was on the pop side that day and it was the culmination of an amazing and truly happy two years of being a Rams supporter.

you are right Timbuktoo, we were indeed losing

the one thing that sticks in my mind more than anything else that day was that Bobby Davison scored an unbelievably skilful and majestically clever goal , which just demonstrated how he had got better and better and better for us over his time at the club, from the raw and aggressive striker we signed from little Halifax Town. He had a one on one with the keeper, odds on to lose it and even if he got there first, there was surely no real chance of scoring. But he did get their first and did an unbelievably subtle and amazing chip over the advancing keeper that Pele would have been proud of. 

What a player he was. 

And what a day it was. 

Whatever happens today and whatever downs we may suffer , those memories continue to burn bright and always will do 

Thanks for reminding me about that goal. Probably one of the best finishes I have ever seen, Bobby was such a natural goalscorer, but it was surprising that he didn't cut it in the top division. They were a great few years, similar to the mid seventies.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. One of the first games I took my son to in the Ossie Upper. Happy days at the BBG. A place with real atmosphere.  I remember when I first went there with my Dad and a collapsible stool, which I often got swept off in the Normo End by the swaying crowd.  Brings a tear to my eye. 

Archived