Clement needs to prove his mettle now

TheHomunculusLives

The last two performances have been terrible, the worst under Clement by far and on a par with some of the abject fare of McClaren's last couple of months in the job.

But we've still only lost four games all season and have time to turn things round.

I stand by the comments I made before the last two matches, which were that Clement has done no better than I would expect from any half decent manager bearing in mind the squad he inherited and the money he's been given. 

So I think now the pressure's on is when we'll find out how good he actually is. If he is the man who is going to make Derby the established Premier League club we all think we can be, he needs to get his house in order fast and make sure we finish in the top two.

I remain convinced we have the best squad of players in the division and the play offs isn't good enough. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he'll have half a chance if he has all the players buying into his philosophy.

But are they ? Are divisions/cliques rearing their ugly head ? I haven't got a clue and I am not mischief making here either, I am just at a loss to explain the disappearance of the unity/camaraderie  I felt we had at one time.

I wish him well, he's a likeable bloke to me, maybe a clear the air meeting might be called before the next game who knows ?

30 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

The last two performances have been terrible, the worst under Clement by far and on a par with some of the abject fare of McClaren's last couple of months in the job.

But we've still only lost four games all season and have time to turn things round.

I stand by the comments I made before the last two matches, which were that Clement has done no better than I would expect from any half decent manager bearing in mind the squad he inherited and the money he's been given. 

So I think now the pressure's on is when we'll find out how good he actually is. If he is the man who is going to make Derby the established Premier League club we all think we can be, he needs to get his house in order fast and make sure we finish in the top two.

I remain convinced we have the best squad of players in the division and the play offs isn't good enough. 

Sorry but anybody who thinks we have the best squad id sadly mistaken .We have some poor stand ins like Shotton etc and I do think we have added players in quantity not quality .

In addition we do not have quality players to cover at least three positions ,Thorne .Martin and Warnock we have bought badly IMO .

Last couple of games are exactly like the end of last season. Individuals standing around waiting until they can see their name in lights before coming to life. 

Try working for each other. 

Say what you like about Dawkins. Him, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick did at least work for the good of the team. Few too many selfish players now. Oh, they're good players. Match winners. But as a unit it's getting embarrassed by some of the pass and move football played against us in the last 2 games.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Last couple of games are exactly like the end of last season. Individuals standing around waiting until they can see their name in lights before coming to life. 

Try working for each other. 

Say what you like about Dawkins. Him, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick did at least work for the good of the team. Few too many selfish players now. Oh, they're good players. Match winners. But as a unit it's getting embarrassed by some of the pass and move football played against us in the last 2 games.

Get Nigel Pearson in if we are serious about promotion this season. Mel are you reading this.

3 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

We said the same before the Preston game when we were a fair few points adrift of our peers. 

This slump is going to be harder to get over for sure but he had proved he can do it. 

It can't be as bad as last season surely. .........

True. The only difference this time is that a greater proportion of the squad are the current regimes choices. Which is a double edged sword as you presumably have much greater clarity as to their shortcomings relative to expectations. But on the other hand it's more difficult to admit to a mistake. 

CRAIG BRYSON

so i'm sure everything that needs to be said about todays game, has already been said, we had absolutely no movement off the ball when in possession(exactly like reading) and we had nothing about us. one person in particular who was poor, was johnson imo.

anyway, craig bryson! is he the person we are missing? do we need to get him tutoring our attacking midfielders on how to support martin?

in particular what im referring to is his ability to run beyond martin and he is that extra man which links our team together. I think we miss him more than we realise...

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

If he is the man who is going to make Derby the established Premier League club we all think we can be

Overlooking one small point; we need to get into the Premier League first to become an established Premier League club the words cart and horse come to mind

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Overlooking one small point; we need to get into the Premier League first to become an established Premier League club the words cart and horse come to mind

The medium term plan is to be established as a Premiership club, so if Clement can't get us promoted with all the support he's been given then obviously he's not good enough to manage a Premiership side.

Just now, TheHomunculusLives said:

The medium term plan is to be established as a Premiership club, so if Clement can't get us promoted with all the support he's been given then obviously he's not good enough to manage a Premiership side.

Lol is he good enough to get us into the Premiership that's the more relevant question 

Bryson would give us the energy whilst Johnson isnt quite putting in the same amount of energy as when he arrived here.

But I do fear we would have to change our style back to tippy tappy, just to accomodate him. I really cant see Bryson being the answer, whilst Russell and Ince remain so poor.

Just now, hintonsboots said:

What a manager who won the championship with a record points tally. He wouldn't let a Derby side be shafted by Reading and Birmingham. 

Hey, respect your opinion, he's just not for me, I think he's got issues. I'd probably take a sabbatical during his tenure if he got the gig, he's just one of those people I can't stand I'm afraid, can't even bare to see his mug on the telly.

2 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Hey, respect your opinion, he's just not for me, I think he's got issues. I'd probably take a sabbatical during his tenure if he got the gig, he's just one of those people I can't stand I'm afraid, can't even bare to see his mug on the telly.

Yes I can appreciate that but can PC take us up ? I like the guy, talks a good game, but will Mel stick with him.

Archived