Too many players? Can any U21s make the first team now?

Rampage

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will only be an exceptional player like Hughes that will break through going forward with the amount of money we have and the number of players we're therefore buying.  I would love to see someone like Zanzala given a chance to see if he can step up to senior football, but unless he becomes absolutely sensational it won't happen, because we're in a position now as the new Chelsea of the Championship where we don't really need to rely on a strong youth policy.

If they're good enough they will get their chance, just like they will be given oppertunity out on loan if clubs deem them good enough. From the players we've sent out on loan over the past couple of years have any of them had a successful loan spell bar Rawson?

A few of our youngsters have been exposed to league football and they're coming up short. 

I think players will always make the step up if they're good enough. Even at a club brimming with players like Man City, Iheanacho has managed to break into the first team because he's good enough.

Theres a difference between playing young players because they're good enough, and playing young players because you have to. We played Callum Ball because we had to, but players like Hughes and Hendrick would have made the first team by now no matter how much money Nigel or Steve had to spend on central midfielders.

The U21 system also reduces the pressure to throw talented youngsters into the first team compared with a few years ago.

How many young players we have has more to do with the talent produced by Moor Farm and Clement's judgment of when to play them than it does our transfer window spending.

If the players are good enough they will make the squad.

Wa have a first class academy that should be attracting players that will be pushing for first team places.

I think the current batch are going to struggle to force their way into the squad, however, I think Rawson, Lowe, Vernam and Zanzala all stand a chance. 

I would love to have an academy that brings through local talent as opposed to snatching other teams talent.

I think Rawson has a great chance because he has proved already at Rotherham that he is at least Championship standard at a very young age for a centre half. My question is what happens next with him? I think it's right to let him continue his development up there for now, but next season I want to see him given chances at Derby rather than sticking with more proven performers with less potential such as Buxton and Shotton.

This made me think of Man Utd's class of 92 and how long it took them to break through into a successful established top flight team. 

One look at their squads between 1992-95 you see some familiar but young fresh faces hardly getting a game bar Giggs, the move onto 95-96 season and see the change after a few players are retired and moved on. They were good enough and they got their chance in time. Same will apply here. 

I think most of the fans keep their youngester better than they are (well, not only youngsters). Quite a few can really make the step up and you'll never know how long it takes time. Playing junior games is totally different world to real football as we have seen with our better youth players going loan to lower divisions. Bennett, Calero.. didn't really work. Of course there's lots of factors why players are successful or not, but ability and mindset demands are much, much higher in men games.

23 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

This made me think of Man Utd's class of 92 and how long it took them to break through into a successful established top flight team. 

One look at their squads between 1992-95 you see some familiar but young fresh faces hardly getting a game bar Giggs, the move onto 95-96 season and see the change after a few players are retired and moved on. They were good enough and they got their chance in time. Same will apply here. 

The difference being that not many clubs are a step up from playing for Man Utd reserves/youth team.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The difference being that not many clubs are a step up from playing for Man Utd reserves/youth team.

True I'll give you that.

Though didn't Mel or Darren Wassall say we were setting the bar high and looking to be in the top 10 Academies in Europe?! So the point still stands, if aim to be that good, forgive the crudeness but surely proof will be in the players coming off the conveyor belt.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

True I'll give you that.

Though didn't Mel or Darren Wassall say we were setting the bar high and looking to be in the top 10 Academies in Europe?! So the point still stands, if aim to be that good, forgive the crudeness but surely proof will be in the players coming off the conveyor belt.

And I think that's the main reason we don't see too many players leaving on loan. Current players need to get us promoted, sooner the better.

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think it will only be an exceptional player like Hughes that will break through going forward with the amount of money we have and the number of players we're therefore buying.  I would love to see someone like Zanzala given a chance to see if he can step up to senior football, but unless he becomes absolutely sensational it won't happen, because we're in a position now as the new Chelsea of the Championship where we don't really need to rely on a strong youth policy.

Sadly, I think that is true. We need to get some more out on loan.

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Not sure whether a young Will Hughes would be given a chance in the current set-up. Its much easier to give youth a go when all you are aiming for is mid-table, as we where under Nigel. It would be difficult to throw a 17 year old in when there is serious pressure to win nearly every game. Only the exceptional would be given a chance.  

Archived