'He won't be good enough if we get promoted'

robglosta

29 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think we are bringing in too many players. Did we need both Johnson and Butterfield? Pearce as well as Shackell? Weimann, Blackman and Camara? I would rather have signed a couple fewer but upped the quality, bar Johnson and Shackell who are proven top Championship/steady  Premiership performers.

Problem with upping the quality, is you also hyperinflate on spend. Which you seem to have been against in another thread.

Did we need Pearce? Yes - he was signed before Shackell - and what if that knock the latter picked up against Leeds was more serious? Or if he picks up an uncharacteristic red card? Buxton seems to have disappeared, only featuring for the u21s since his injury and he's the only other left sided CB.

Johnson and Butterfield? Maybe not, but Johnson came available, and he's added a lot of steel in that midfield. Butterfield oozes quality, and in Hughes' absence - which lets not forget looked to be until the end of the season - has really stepped up.

On the face of it, Weimann looked a steal at £2.5m. Square peg in a round hole, I feel, but he gives us more option for 2 up top, which so many have been crying out for. Still scored some crucial goals. Still love that goal against QPR.

Jury's out on the two new signings - we haven't seen them play for Derby yet! But for under £5m for the pair, seems sensible.

Of course, you could always flip it on its head - I'd rather any of these be sat in the Derby squad than any other team in the Championship.. especially Blackman, not only have we got him, but Sheffield Wednesday haven't!

I'd rather too many players, than not enough.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think we are bringing in too many players. Did we need both Johnson and Butterfield? Pearce as well as Shackell? Weimann, Blackman and Camara? I would rather have signed a couple fewer but upped the quality, bar Johnson and Shackell who are proven top Championship/steady  Premiership performers.

You mention did we need both Johnson and Butterfield.

Both midfielders, both totally different. Johnson is a tank, gives us physicality, Butterfield is more intricate, a like-for-like replacement for the injured Hughes. Not suggesting he is as good as Hughes, but who wouldn't want two Hughes's in their squad? Plus, he's only 25, still plenty young enough to step up.

Stop writing players off as not PL quality before they've even had a proper shot at it, it's unnecessarily negative. Have a bit of faith!

To find out if players are good enough, we firstly need to get there, that's the only priority at the moment.  If we were to get promoted I'd say Carson, Shackell, Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Ince and martin would still be first choices each week.  But that doesn't mean that a number of other players couldn't make the step up.  Most of Bournemouth's players have made the step up after a period of settling in.  Who'd have thought Wes Morgan would turn into such a commanding centre half, keeping the likes of Aguero & Costa in his pocket???  Leon Britton was playing for Swansea in League 2 and he was being touted as a target for Arsenal two seasons ago.  Some will sink but others will swim, but one things for sure, we won't need a whole new 11...

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Fair points Ramsbottom. It is hard to say who will step up and who won't.

Dan Gosling & Harry Arter bossed the Man U game a few weeks back, and neither of them are any better than our midfielders...  OK maybe Bryson...

5 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think it's a new approach to promotion which involves buying up ALL the players in the league...

The biggest problem I fear in terms of adding quality over quantity is actually landing those players... You either have to take a punt on someone with no English league experience (Camara?), take a punt on a Prem league reject who could be past it/not good enough (Weimann?) or take a punt on a championship high flyer (Blackman)

Not sure how else you're supposed to buy guaranteed quality... When most of those are surely gonna go to a Prem club or already be at one?

Archived