'He won't be good enough if we get promoted'

robglosta

Can we please put this nonsense phrase, and all of it's derivations, to bed? 

As it stands, we are not in the top flight.  If we get promoted this year, the squad and Paul Clement will have achieved their primary objective and we can then begin the preparation for adjusting to the higher levels of English football.  Unless I am mistaken, we don't yet have the 160m in our bank in order to buy the reinforcements necessary for the league above?  

It's like Norwich moaning that Kyle Lafferty will be no good when they get into a Champions League spot - it's delusional and non-productive.   

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i don't want to think about the Premier League until if and when we are promoted. Hopefully there will be plenty of time for that this summer.  

However i don't think it's delusional to say a player won't be good enough if we were promoted, clearly the league above is of a higher standard. Nor do i think it's non-productive for the club to be already targeting transfers for next season if we were to be promoted and i assume we would concentrate on those positions currently filled by players that wouldn't be deemed good enough. 

However i don't want to think about any of that just yet.

Mel has stated that if we go up we only want to add a couple of quality players to a decent squad, not have to start from scratch.

If we trust Mel, Sam and PC to do their jobs then our job is to enjoy the season, hang on to the rollercoaster and worry about next season at the end of this one!

21 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Can we please put this nonsense phrase, and all of it's derivations, to bed? 

As it stands, we are not in the top flight.  If we get promoted this year, the squad and Paul Clement will have achieved their primary objective and we can then begin the preparation for adjusting to the higher levels of English football.  Unless I am mistaken, we don't yet have the 160m in our bank in order to buy the reinforcements necessary for the league above?  

It's like Norwich moaning that Kyle Lafferty will be no good when they get into a Champions League spot - it's delusional and non-productive.   

I prefer to bookmark statements like that, then when the opposite occurs, mercilessly take the mickey out of the OP.

It's petty, vindictive and all that, but if one idiot stops posting mindless knee-jerk drivel, it's worth it.

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Personally i don't want to think about the Premier League until if and when we are promoted. Hopefully there will be plenty of time for that this summer.  

However i don't think it's delusional to say a player won't be good enough if we were promoted, clearly the league above is of a higher standard. Nor do i think it's non-productive for the club to be already targeting transfers for next season if we were to be promoted and i assume we would concentrate on those positions currently filled by players that wouldn't be deemed good enough. 

However i don't want to think about any of that just yet.

Sorry, I mean it's delusional to think it's important when the aim this year is to secure promotion from this league.  You just can't prepare fully until you know your up, as that involves hefty transfers and wages. 

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

But what if they're not "proven Premier League quality"? Whatever will we do if we don't have a squad made up entirely of Premier League rejects?

Exactly, how are we meant to struggle in the Premier league without experience of struggling in the Premier league?

As far as I can see it looks to me that Mel Morris has a plan for how he wants Derby be as a club, ultimately he like us all wants Derby to be a full time top flight club and is putting All the infrastructure in place , it seems to me that he has chosen a coach who he believes has the ability to improve players as well as the ability to build and coach a team that can get us up and constantly compete in the prem, so in terms of buying players you need to buy a mix of established experienced players and younger ones that we feel can come in and grow into top players ,so I'm not to worried about this not good enough if we go up theory as I'm sure Mel and his team are well aware of what players are coming in to do a job at this level and which ones they feel have the potential to grow into top flight players ,, what a time to be a derby fan ,,, I've seen us win the league , be the best team in the land and then followed us around third division grounds wondering how a club like our could be allowed to be run into the ground,,, buckle up and enjoy the ride folks , football is cyclical and our time is coming round again

1 hour ago, archied said:

As far as I can see it looks to me that Mel Morris has a plan for how he wants Derby be as a club, ultimately he like us all wants Derby to be a full time top flight club and is putting All the infrastructure in place , it seems to me that he has chosen a coach who he believes has the ability to improve players as well as the ability to build and coach a team that can get us up and constantly compete in the prem, so in terms of buying players you need to buy a mix of established experienced players and younger ones that we feel can come in and grow into top players ,so I'm not to worried about this not good enough if we go up theory as I'm sure Mel and his team are well aware of what players are coming in to do a job at this level and which ones they feel have the potential to grow into top flight players ,, what a time to be a derby fan ,,, I've seen us win the league , be the best team in the land and then followed us around third division grounds wondering how a club like our could be allowed to be run into the ground,,, buckle up and enjoy the ride folks , football is cyclical and our time is coming round again

I've been reading the opinions/rants on this and other threads for some considerable time and have finally plucked up the courage to register, just so that I can add my 100% agreement to this excellent post.

Martin

If you'd asked Leicester fans when they were in the championship if Mahrez and Vardy were good enough to be Prem regulars what do you think they'd have said? How about if you'd asked them if they'd tear it a new one and take them top at half way? Danny Drinkwater gets rave reviews in the Prem, never saw that coming myself.

People need to chill.

15 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think we are bringing in too many players. Did we need both Johnson and Butterfield? Pearce as well as Shackell? Weimann, Blackman and Camara? I would rather have signed a couple fewer but upped the quality, bar Johnson and Shackell who are proven top Championship/steady  Premiership performers.

You are trolling. Anyone else smell Gump?

Archived