Johnny's beard.

manxramselly

Was it Cloughie who made Derek Hayles shave his beard off in the seventies because he reckoned he would be four miles an hour faster without it?If not,who was it?Did it make him faster and do you think Johnnys is getting a bit out of control and that extra four miles an hour could be the difference between automatic promotion and the play-offs?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The extra wind resistance slows him down. It blocks out so much light that he can't see the ball at his feet, so his control has gone to pot. The weight stops him from being able to lift his head, so he can never pick out a teammate with a pass and the opposition players hide behind the thing and take him by surprise when tackling him.

The beard must go!

26 minutes ago, manxramselly said:

Was it Cloughie who made Derek Hayles shave his beard off in the seventies because he reckoned he would be four miles an hour faster without it?If not,who was it?Did it make him faster and do you think Johnnys is getting a bit out of control and that extra four miles an hour could be the difference between automatic promotion and the play-offs?

Russell looks miles better without the beard.:D

I don't like beards. They remind me of pubic hair. It's like looking at someone's pubes. Ugh (though I've never seen a bush as luxuriant as Johnnie's)

51 minutes ago, manxramselly said:

Hayles was a way after Cloughie. 1977 I think which was either mackay or possibly Addison? 

Eddie would know  (as would archarm king Kevin and other venerable forum members ).

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

I think Derek Hales came after Sir Brian and Dave Mackay. Colin Murphy I think without looking it up (cos I'm trying to forget those times)

and losing the beard wouldn't have made him any better

I've looked it up now. Signed at the end of 1976 by Colin Murphy and sold to West Ham by Docherty (probably the only sensible decision he made) in 1977. Played 30 times in all competitions and scored 7 goals. 

1 hour ago, r_wilcockson said:

I think there is a direct correlation between the length of Johnny's beard and his form. He was on fire at the start of the season, and now can no longer pass or shoot. Where is Yani P and his graphs......

Sort of like samson in reverse? 

But with beard instead of hair.

So not really like him at all.

Oh well......

Archived