Decent cameras - help!

Ram@Lincoln

Looking at buying a 'proper' camera for Christmas but not really sure what I'm after.

It's going to be used for nature and landscape photography, so I'd like a decent long range zoom on it and a crisp picture.

I'd also like to film good quality video from it, so needs to be able to do that and as a bonus the ability to plug in a external microphone would be great.

Currently looking at this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4245153.htm 

But it's £259.99 after the cashback, so rather pricey but its a DSLR.

Or should I get this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2379045.htm

£158.99 so a lot cheaper but a bridge one.

Basically, should I put the money into the DSLR or save £100 with the bridg? Any photographers out there?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Nikon D3200 which I think was the predecessor to the D3300. Good camera with plenty of gizmos and a half decent lens. Photos are as much down to the guy behind the camera as anything else but so far I'm more than happy with the majority I've taken. Video is OK but nowhere near the quality of the Canon camcorder I have. One problem with the Nikon in video mode is when trying to get a smooth zoom.

The price seems to have dropped a bit since last year.

Can't comment on the other option.

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Looking at buying a 'proper' camera for Christmas but not really sure what I'm after.

It's going to be used for nature and landscape photography, so I'd like a decent long range zoom on it and a crisp picture.

I'd also like to film good quality video from it, so needs to be able to do that and as a bonus the ability to plug in a external microphone would be great.

Currently looking at this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4245153.htm 

But it's £259.99 after the cashback, so rather pricey but its a DSLR.

Or should I get this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2379045.htm

£158.99 so a lot cheaper but a bridge one.

Basically, should I put the money into the DSLR or save £100 with the bridg? Any photographers out there?

Not saying I'm a photographer yet Lincoln, but I take 15,000 photos every year - landscape/portraits and anything that looks interesting. I have a Canon 5D which also does video. Some advice/questions:

What do you want to do and achieve photographically? If you think that you are likely to want to develop your skills and what you photograph then I would go down the DSLR route so that you can later buy different lenses and different 'bodies' as finance allows.  If you are wanting to do landscape/nature and get better at what you do then you probably will want access to a range of lenses eventually. If you think that you 'just' want a decent camera that takes some consistently good shots but not get into it too much as a hobby then you can find some really good cameras at relatively cheap prices that aren't DSLRs

Think ahead - if you buy a DSLR you will probably stay with the brand you first choose forever because lenses and bodies tend not to be interchangeable between brands and you get used to a way of working. So be comfortable with what you choose - go into a shop and handle the kit and see if it's intuitive for you, even if you later buy online.

Get the best lenses you can afford - it's the 'glass' that makes the best pictures (once you take the photographer out of the equation)

There are lots of magazines and websites that offer advice and comparisons.  I've found them really useful - I read Practical Photography every month and it's good for ideas, comparisons and critiques of other people's photographs and it also covers camera equipment

Have a budget and try to stick to it.  As with any hobby you can spend whatever you like (or don't like). Online tends to be cheaper as with many things

I have used this site to buy online and found them really good, and cheaper than many: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk

I also print the photographs I want out of those I take, so if you want to do that it's worth thinking about your computer at some point - I have an iMac and a canon printer.  The iMac allows me to improve/alter the photos I take (but not 'photoshop' them).  But you can also take the memory card to Boots or Jessops. Some people just keep their photos on their computers.  Again it depends what you think you might want to do with the photos you take.

Hope that helps. It's a hobby I really enjoy between matches......

4 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Hope that helps. 

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. I guess its the old age thing of 'you get what you pay for'. I've had a interest in photography the last couple of years but stepped up my game over the summer, albeit on my phone's camera. Went on a cross country USA trip and should have had a better camera to get some of the sights I saw.

This might be a fad I'm going through, so I don't really want to spend hundreds on a camera that might be used extensively for a couple of months then relegated to the desk draw unless I go on holiday. I've been looking at all sorts really, one of my work colleagues has a Canon 70D, which is what I'd probably buy if I was spending £500+ on a camera as I've played around with his before and like it. 

My thinking now, is that I buy a cheaper camera now, then if I do become more serious/use the thing a lot I'd buy a better one further down the line. I could then always sell the cheaper one to put towards the better one. 

Thanks to a unexpected work bonus coming in I have probably around £1000 I could spend, but there are 'better' things that I could spend it on, like a new washing machine that the missus bleats on about.

I've been browsing eBay and this one seems a decent buy when compared to the prices at Argos/Currys etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ72EB-K-Digital-Bridge-Camera-16-1-Megapixel-60x-Opt-Zoom-/321893047698?hash=item4af2521d92

Obviously its not a patch on your camera or the 70D but for now to see if I'll continue the interest/hobby, it looks a pretty good price. Thoughts?

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Not saying I'm a photographer yet Lincoln, but I take 15,000 photos every year - landscape/portraits and anything that looks interesting. I have a Canon 5D which also does video. Some advice/questions:

What do you want to do and achieve photographically? If you think that you are likely to want to develop your skills and what you photograph then I would go down the DSLR route so that you can later buy different lenses and different 'bodies' as finance allows.  If you are wanting to do landscape/nature and get better at what you do then you probably will want access to a range of lenses eventually. If you think that you 'just' want a decent camera that takes some consistently good shots but not get into it too much as a hobby then you can find some really good cameras at relatively cheap prices that aren't DSLRs

Think ahead - if you buy a DSLR you will probably stay with the brand you first choose forever because lenses and bodies tend not to be interchangeable between brands and you get used to a way of working. So be comfortable with what you choose - go into a shop and handle the kit and see if it's intuitive for you, even if you later buy online.

Get the best lenses you can afford - it's the 'glass' that makes the best pictures (once you take the photographer out of the equation)

There are lots of magazines and websites that offer advice and comparisons.  I've found them really useful - I read Practical Photography every month and it's good for ideas, comparisons and critiques of other people's photographs and it also covers camera equipment

Have a budget and try to stick to it.  As with any hobby you can spend whatever you like (or don't like). Online tends to be cheaper as with many things

I have used this site to buy online and found them really good, and cheaper than many: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk

I also print the photographs I want out of those I take, so if you want to do that it's worth thinking about your computer at some point - I have an iMac and a canon printer.  The iMac allows me to improve/alter the photos I take (but not 'photoshop' them).  But you can also take the memory card to Boots or Jessops. Some people just keep their photos on their computers.  Again it depends what you think you might want to do with the photos you take.

Hope that helps. It's a hobby I really enjoy between matches......

Just got in from a night shift so I'll be brief, very sensible post.

6 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. I guess its the old age thing of 'you get what you pay for'. I've had a interest in photography the last couple of years but stepped up my game over the summer, albeit on my phone's camera. Went on a cross country USA trip and should have had a better camera to get some of the sights I saw.

This might be a fad I'm going through, so I don't really want to spend hundreds on a camera that might be used extensively for a couple of months then relegated to the desk draw unless I go on holiday. I've been looking at all sorts really, one of my work colleagues has a Canon 70D, which is what I'd probably buy if I was spending £500+ on a camera as I've played around with his before and like it. 

My thinking now, is that I buy a cheaper camera now, then if I do become more serious/use the thing a lot I'd buy a better one further down the line. I could then always sell the cheaper one to put towards the better one. 

Thanks to a unexpected work bonus coming in I have probably around £1000 I could spend, but there are 'better' things that I could spend it on, like a new washing machine that the missus bleats on about.

I've been browsing eBay and this one seems a decent buy when compared to the prices at Argos/Currys etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ72EB-K-Digital-Bridge-Camera-16-1-Megapixel-60x-Opt-Zoom-/321893047698?hash=item4af2521d92

Obviously its not a patch on your camera or the 70D but for now to see if I'll continue the interest/hobby, it looks a pretty good price. Thoughts?

If I was starting out now I'd go for a top end bridge camera, for good results through all the focal lengths without carrying all that heavy and expensive gear, you can always sell it if you get smitten... and upgrade.

A bit late to this particular party..

I own the D5100 - which is probably comparable now to the D3300. If you want the quality, there's only really the Nikon/Canon pairing in the DSLR stakes. Can't say I know much about the bridge families.

Whatever you choose though, I can't recommend enough going and having a play with the ones you've narrowed it down to. I nearly bought a Canon online, but went down to Jacob's and had a few in the hand first. Couldn't get on with the Canon in the hand, so it was a good job I tried it first, ended up with the Nikon. They were pretty similar on paper, but the layout of the Nikon was much better for me.

I went into Jessops and had a play with a few of them. Ended up ordering the Panasonic FZ200 and FZ72, Going to see which one I like the most then just return the other one. Got them on Amazon Warehouse deals as they have 30% currently. Both in 'like new' condition just a bashed box for half the price of new. 

4 hours ago, AnimalisaRam said:

A bit late to this particular party..

I own the D5100 - which is probably comparable now to the D3300. If you want the quality, there's only really the Nikon/Canon pairing in the DSLR stakes. Can't say I know much about the bridge families.

Whatever you choose though, I can't recommend enough going and having a play with the ones you've narrowed it down to. I nearly bought a Canon online, but went down to Jacob's and had a few in the hand first. Couldn't get on with the Canon in the hand, so it was a good job I tried it first, ended up with the Nikon. They were pretty similar on paper, but the layout of the Nikon was much better for me.

Agree with this, and I've always used Nikon, but yes it's just personal preference. I only have the D3200, but as that body will do everything I need , I'd rather spend the money on lenses, rather than an expensive body. 

I tried to post a couple of pictures which I've taken at the ipro, but not sure if that's allowed, and secondly, the file size is too big, and I've no idea how to make it smaller! 

Never buy a camera without consulting http://snapsort.com/

Absolute godsend for getting the best your budget allows. I point everyone that asks me about getting a DSLR straight there.

As said before its all about the lens really, it's sort of like needing the body that can make the most of your lenses.

The Nikon D3200 (and D3300) has a very good reputation for entry level and beats a fair few 'bigger' ones.

I'm sure others can help you if you are looking at Cannon, Sony or Pentax.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Agree with this, and I've always used Nikon, but yes it's just personal preference. I only have the D3200, but as that body will do everything I need , I'd rather spend the money on lenses, rather than an expensive body. 

I tried to post a couple of pictures which I've taken at the ipro, but not sure if that's allowed, and secondly, the file size is too big, and I've no idea how to make it smaller! 

Ah, I've always wondered about taking a camera in there, I've always been bothered about the stewards being arsey about it.. Then again, up in the gods in the SW corner, think I'd have to take my 70-300 lens in!

33 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Ah, I've always wondered about taking a camera in there, I've always been bothered about the stewards being arsey about it.. Then again, up in the gods in the SW corner, think I'd have to take my 70-300 lens in!

I usually take it just for one game a season. Usually the first one. I'm on the end of a row, right where the stairs are. So there is always a steward right behind me. They have never bothered me about the camera. I'd normally spend about fifteen minutes or so taking pics, and then pack it away to enjoy the game. 

Archived