Arnaud Mendy loaned to Grimsby Town

CumbrianRam

Grimsby Town have snapped up Derby County midfielder Arnaud Mendy on a month's loan and secured Bradley Wood on a professional contract.

Mendy made his Derby debut as a late substitute against Sheffield Wednesday before the international break and has now been allowed out to gain first-team experience by Rams boss Nigel Clough.

The French teenager will go straight into Grimsby manager Mike Newell's squad for Saturday's League Two game at home to Rochdale.

Newell, who signed Josh Magennis from Cardiff City on Thursday, is also hoping to bring in another Championship striker on loan before the weekend.

Meanwhile, the Mariners have rewarded promising defender Wood with a four-year professional contract at Blundell Park.

Wood was given his first-team debut against Darlington last month and he has started the club's last five games.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11696_5630563,00.html

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few comments from Grimsby fans after Mendy's debut for them yesterday...........

"a complete headless chicken, not a box to box player, looked completely out of his depth and lacked positional sense ,. newell did not get him JF with his contacts at derby got this signing rolling

newell lets get back to basics , players mark players not have them looking around to see where his man has disappeared to , this lad is NOT your answer to your midfield problems , yet again another game lost due to no engine room supporting the front 2, when was the last time we saw a bolland type run from midfield that saw our midfielder in front of our front 2 ??????

we need a midfielder that can break from our back and support/lead the line and commit defenders to mark his runs from deep, been 2 years since we last saw this .... this is an area that needs resolving not another headless signing"

"Sorry Arnaud, you might be glad that the manager likes the way you play but I don't think you'll feel the same way after todays match if the set up is the same as previous weeks of late."

"May be class in France..."

"Class? No co mment from me...."

http://www.sportgrimsby.co.uk/headlines/Ar...il/article.html

A few comments from Grimsby fans after Mendy's debut for them yesterday...........

"a complete headless chicken, not a box to box player, looked completely out of his depth and lacked positional sense ,. newell did not get him JF with his contacts at derby got this signing rolling

newell lets get back to basics , players mark players not have them looking around to see where his man has disappeared to , this lad is NOT your answer to your midfield problems , yet again another game lost due to no engine room supporting the front 2, when was the last time we saw a bolland type run from midfield that saw our midfielder in front of our front 2 ??????

we need a midfielder that can break from our back and support/lead the line and commit defenders to mark his runs from deep, been 2 years since we last saw this .... this is an area that needs resolving not another headless signing"

"Sorry Arnaud, you might be glad that the manager likes the way you play but I don't think you'll feel the same way after todays match if the set up is the same as previous weeks of late."

"May be class in France..."

"Class? No comment from me...."

http://www.sportgrimsby.co.uk/headlines/Ar...il/article.html

Mike Newell has been sacked, so he may be resigned to the bench and TBH I would rather we have him back if that is the case.

Yeah he was sacked last night, my mates seem quite pleased about it. I thought Newell was a decent manager and they did well to get him, it reminds me of that saying "you can't polish a turd". Guess if Mendy stays will depend on who they get in next.

• 2 weeks later...

JOSH Megginis and Arnaud Mendy have both returned to their respective clubs after a short period with the Mariners.

Town's caretaker boss Neil Woods explained: "The two loan players Mendy and Megginis have been sent back to their clubs. Not for anything that they have done and not in a bad way - it's just to be fair to them.

"As the caretaker manager I think I need to be fair to the players that we've got here first.

"They've been a little bit of a victim of the circumstances of the last two weeks. They are not going to get in the eighteen and I don't think it is fair to keep loan players here.

"They both understand the situation and they will both be going back this weekend."

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10417~1841091,00.html

Just a thought but is he really that good? I mean Grimsby are struggling at the moment, seriously struggling..they are in the bottom 2. Now if Mendy was that good surely they would of wanted to keep him for that month? His debut also left alot to be desired and for Grimsby fans to say a player is ***** that can't be good.

Also who would you drop to play him? I know you wouldn't think of dropping Savage even if he only had one leg but we also have Green making his comeback next week against Coventry, Hendrie should also be nearing fitness, plus Addison and Livermore I doubt Mendy isn't even plan E.

Archived