Callum McManaman

admira

I thought that, it was quite refreshing to learn of transfer news from the Telegraph, it took me back to days when I would run up the shop and buy a copy for 20p, I still remember reading we had signed Poom, Wanchope and Solis for 1.7 mil and thinking "who".

Id run back down Perth Street to my old man all excited because we were linked or had just bought someone.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won the FA Cup with Wigan in 2013 and was named man of the match in the 1-0 victory over Manchester City in the final at Wembley.

There's a video of this MOTM performance on Youtube

A lot of running without really producing all that much quality, wouldn't have fit in well with the passing side we were trying to build when first linked but who knows what ideas Pearson has for our style of play. Not sure he does anything we can't get from Russell.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought that, it was quite refreshing to learn of transfer news from the Telegraph, it took me back to days when I would run up the shop and buy a copy for 20p, I still remember reading we had signed Poom, Wanchope and Solis for 1.7 mil and thinking "who".

Id run back down Perth Street to my old man all excited because we were linked or had just bought someone.

Must admit I do miss all the excitement (pre internet)

Like when were reading teletext and you had to call Clubcall or Teamtalk because there were some breaking transfer rumour ... Unfortunately for me old man it were an 0891 number but hey ho!

McManaman is the exact type of player we should be looking at.

Someone extremely talented, who is out of form, therefore somewhat cheaper than his ability should cost. Pearson will back himself to get the best out of him, I'm sure.

McManaman and Ince would be a superb at this level. Not many, if any, wide players have that raw ability at this level. 

Signing in-form players rarely works out. 

I can see this being a Marc Albrighton esc signing. Albrighton was poor for Villa but Pearson gave him a chance at Leicester and he has been excellant. Similar styles of play too as both McManaman and Albrighton are quick, direct and can put a good ball into the box. Hope we get McManaman.

PistoldPete2

hes the sort of player we need. Whats he been up to for the last 2 years tho? Seems to have gone backwards.

15 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

hes the sort of player we need. Whats he been up to for the last 2 years tho? Seems to have gone backwards.

That's the key! Unless they're in form at a level where you're cheap (Vardy, Mahrez), it's likely that any players we acquire will be out of form or any general hype that was once there has died down.

On 26/06/2016 at 00:31, 86 points said:

Whereabouts? 

On thread, yes please. He could provide the kind of service Martin would thrive on. 

Martin thrives on being surrounded by people on the same wavelength as him, capable of quick passing and intelligent movement in tight spaces.

I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that someone running down the wing and aimlessly whipping it into the box is the type of service he needs when it's not what he's ever needed before.

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Martin thrives on being surrounded by people on the same wavelength as him, capable of quick passing and intelligent movement in tight spaces.

I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that someone running down the wing and aimlessly whipping it into the box is the type of service he needs when it's not what he's ever needed before.

Which is exactly why we need to keep Bryson (or of course replace him with a similar type of player but better)

On 6/25/2016 at 16:34, Ambitious said:

McManaman is the exact type of player we should be looking at.

Someone extremely talented, who is out of form, therefore somewhat cheaper than his ability should cost. Pearson will back himself to get the best out of him, I'm sure.

McManaman and Ince would be a superb at this level. Not many, if any, wide players have that raw ability at this level. 

Signing in-form players rarely works out. 

As an alternative view I was going to start a thread on one season wonders/half season wonders. McManaman, Ricketts, Blackman

A fit Bryson would be the last player I would ever sell, he started to look like the Bryson of old towards the end of last season...We can sell Hendrick, Johnson and even Butterfield as we can replace these, no sure what we would need to spend to replace a fit, engine of the team like Bryson.

Bryson, Martin, Russell and Hughes seem to have this connection which stems from the first season under McLaren. 

12 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Bryson, Martin, Russell and Hughes seem to have this connection which stems from the first season under McLaren. 

Completely agree, however think with Bryson we know technically he's not as good as Hughes or Butterfield, but you can get away with that being the sort of player he is in midfield...

Russell though his lack of technical ability shows a lot more on the wing, maybe it is time for a bit more quality in that position rather than a workhorse like Russell

15 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A fit Bryson would be the last player I would ever sell, he started to look like the Bryson of old towards the end of last season...We can sell Hendrick, Johnson and even Butterfield as we can replace these, no sure what we would need to spend to replace a fit, engine of the team like Bryson.

Totally 100% agree... For me whenever you play a midfield 3 you need a defensive player, a creative player and an 'engine' box-to-boxer...

However, we might not be playing a midfield 3 this season... And I'm not sure Hughes and Bryson is a robust enough midfield pairing in a 4-4-2... Hughes with Thorne or Johnson... Maybe Butterfield... Not enough tackling between Hughes and Bryson for me...

I have everything crossed that we stay playing 4-3-3

Oh and on topic... No thanks to McManaman... Russell and Ince are better, I prefer Wiemann too... And would rather see what Camara is like than spend money again...

50 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Totally 100% agree... For me whenever you play a midfield 3 you need a defensive player, a creative player and an 'engine' box-to-boxer...

However, we might not be playing a midfield 3 this season... And I'm not sure Hughes and Bryson is a robust enough midfield pairing in a 4-4-2... Hughes with Thorne or Johnson... Maybe Butterfield... Not enough tackling between Hughes and Bryson for me...

I have everything crossed that we stay playing 4-3-3

Oh and on topic... No thanks to McManaman... Russell and Ince are better, I prefer Wiemann too... And would rather see what Camara is like than spend money again...

I'm agreeing with you, those two wouldn't be robust enough. But have to correct this bolded misunderstanding. Hughes has 3rd highest tackles/game ratio in our team, only Olsson and Thorne (just) in front of him. So basicly Hughes does that well too. Heading ability would be bigger problem with Bryso-Hughesy. (and Thorne, Butters, Hanson, Baird etc..)

Those stats are from Whoscored.com, but have to say I was suprised that Hughes wasn't topping tackling stats.

Archived