Pep Guardiola

Day

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Think Guardiola will go to City and Simeone to Chelsea. If United get Jose that would definitely make it very interesting indeed.

Pep, Simeone, Mourinho, Klopp & Wenger all coming head-to-head would be good indeed!

Wenger is a spent force against the elite nowadays

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have to laugh at the managerial merry to round. So little loyalty as they all look for their next big pay cheque.

And interesting how some of the posts refer to how at least some of these guys only appear to have succeeded when inheriting already strong squads.

Seems to show how increasingly the manager / head coach is like a ftse 100 CEO. All panache and media friendly showmanship whilst the real graft is undertaken by less celebrated staff on the team and that is what determines the success or otherwise. 

I can only assume a lack of motivation is behind Pep's decision, because at Munich you have everything - Amazing team, amazing set-up, amazing city, amazing lifestyle, guaranteed success.

Manchester City would be the natural fit, but Manchester United have more tradition and is arguably the better challenge. Chelsea is just pointless. If he wants to go to London, Arsenal are better.

I love Bayern, I'm glad they're getting Ancelotti he's a class act. 

Will be interesting to see what happens to players like Javi Martinez, Thiago and Xabi Alonso. They'll probably remain at Bayern, but they're definitely Guardiola-type players.

It will be a mad rush to get him. Whether you like his style or not, Guardiola is such a massive pull and most players in the world will be desperate to play under his guidance.

He's basically the key to someone like United really coming back. Get Pep, and the world's best players will follow.

At present, world class player probably look at United and think - Why would I go there? Horrible weather, horrible team horrible manager, little chance of success...

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can only assume a lack of motivation is behind Pep's decision, because at Munich you have everything - Amazing team, amazing set-up, amazing city, amazing lifestyle, guaranteed success.

Manchester City would be the natural fit, but Manchester United have more tradition and is arguably the better challenge. Chelsea is just pointless. If he wants to go to London, Arsenal are better.

I love Bayern, I'm glad they're getting Ancelotti he's a class act. 

Will be interesting to see what happens to players like Javi Martinez, Thiago and Xabi Alonso. They'll probably remain at Bayern, but they're definitely Guardiola-type players.

It will be a mad rush to get him. Whether you like his style or not, Guardiola is such a massive pull and most players in the world will be desperate to play under his guidance.

He's basically the key to someone like United really coming back. Get Pep, and the world's best players will follow.

At present, world class player probably look at United and think - Why would I go there? Horrible weather, horrible team horrible manager, little chance of success...

Had he proved that he would be able to turn a team like United round?

Could he go there and make their current squad perform better?

If he can only improve teams by opening the cheque book he might as well just choose the richest team who will pay him the most money.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Had he proved that he would be able to turn a team like United round?

Could he go there and make their current squad perform better?

If he can only improve teams by opening the cheque book he might as well just choose the richest team who will pay him the most money.

He improved Barcelona immensely without opening the cheque book. In fact, he scrapped a few of the high-earners from the Frank Rijkaard era and used more youth players than any Barca manager before him.

And if you look at the Barca team from his debut treble-winning season to the one that won the CL in 2011, there were a number of changes to personnel suggesting he can mould his teams.

Man Utd have a good enough team now to finish in the top four, so improving them enough to win the league shouldn't be beyond him if they're willing to spend like they have under LVG.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

He improved Barcelona immensely without opening the cheque book. In fact, he scrapped a few of the high-earners from the Frank Rijkaard era and used more youth players than any Barca manager before him.

And if you look at the Barca team from his debut treble-winning season to the one that won the CL in 2011, there were a number of changes to personnel suggesting he can mould his teams.

Man Utd have a good enough team now to finish in the top four, so improving them enough to win the league shouldn't be beyond him if they're willing to spend like they have under LVG.

Well they are sat in 5th position and have probably had close to £200m spent in them in the last 12 months (I am guessing a bit there). If a new manager was telling me he needed more money spent to be challenging for the top spot I would definitely be questioning how good a manager they really were.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well they are sat in 5th position and have probably had close to £200m spent in them in the last 12 months (I am guessing a bit there). If a new manager was telling me he needed more money spent to be challenging for the top spot I would definitely be questioning how good a manager they really were.

Or you'd question the £200m that had already been spent....

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

A tad unfair. Money doesn't always represent quality. I'd certainly rate City, Chelsea and Arsenal's squad above theirs in tems of quality. Who exactly do United have who are world class?

When you consider Martial, Mata , Shaw, Fellaini and Herrera cost them over £150m combined then you've got to question what the hell they were thinking about. 

Add in Depay, Schneiderlin and Blind for an extra £60m and you have your answer. Money doesn't equal quality. 

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Or you'd question the £200m that had already been spent....

Yes of course but if an incoming manager was unhappy with the players purchased I would want him to have a plan to offload the players that represented a waste of money to replace them with better quality.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

A tad unfair. Money doesn't always represent quality. I'd certainly rate City, Chelsea and Arsenal's squad above theirs in tems of quality. Who exactly do United have who are world class?

When you consider Martial, Mata , Shaw, Fellaini and Herrera cost them over £150m combined then you've got to question what the hell they were thinking about. 

Add in Depay, Schneiderlin and Blind for an extra £60m and you have your answer. Money doesn't equal quality. 

So is LVG doing a good job? If they do not have the same quality as City and Arsenal then surely they are only 1 place, at worst, below where they should be?

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So is LVG doing a good job? If they do not have the same quality as City and Arsenal then surely they are only 1 place, at worst, below where they should be?

Assuming he was the one behind the transfer decisions, then abolsutely not. Points wise he's not doing a good jon (not disastrious either) but the performances are what's killing them.

They have had some decent wins this season. They played well away at Southampton and Everton, nd they beat Liverpool comfortably enough too. Recently though they've gone to pot.

I don't think anyone expected them to win the league, but at least challenging they should be. At this rate they're on for about 65 points - some 20 behind what you expect a real challenger to get.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes of course but if an incoming manager was unhappy with the players purchased I would want him to have a plan to offload the players that represented a waste of money to replace them with better quality.

Indeed, but the chances are you'd get a lot less than £200m for them as they've largely under-performed, and United paid over the odds for them in the first place.

Pep has only taken over teams at the top of their game. Jose Mourinho has taken teams on the cusp of success right to the very top. Mourinho is arguably the more successful one out of the two, but tends to make enemies of his players within 3 seasons.

On 20 December 2015 at 10:32, StringerBell said:

Great news! I love a one club player.

It is easy to be a "one club player" when your one club is one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

The real "one club players" are people like Le Tissier or Carragher, players who played for one club all their careers despite them being tiny and *****. 

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It is easy to be a "one club player" when your one club is one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

The real "one club players" are people like Le Tissier or Carragher, players who played for one club all their careers despite them being tiny and *****. 

**** clubs don't win the European Cup....oh, wait...hold on, I can think of at least one....

Archived