Pep Guardiola

Day

Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola says he will clarify his future at the club "next week" with his contract expiring in the summer.

The former Barcelona manager was linked by the Daily Express and Spanish radio in November with a move to Manchester City after two-and-a-half years in the Bundesliga.

Following Bayern's 1-0 German Cup victory over Darmstadt at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday, Guardiola says his long-awaited decision is near.

"Tonight I have no answer. Next week you will know the answer. Next week there will be clarity," Guardiola told German broadcaster ARD.

Guardiola has had much domestic success since joining Bayern in the summer of 2013, winning two Bundesliga titles, a German Cup and the Club World Cup.

But Manchester United's global appeal could lure Guardiola to Old Trafford, according to Bayern Munich's honorary president Franz Beckenbauer.

Beckenbauer believes Guardiola will ultimately have his pick of clubs should he decide to leave Bayern, although feels United would be his preferred destination.

"Pep is interesting for every top club in the world," Beckenbauer told Munich-based newspaper Merkur. "That's just normal.

"He can pick his club and, in terms of popularity, Manchester United might be the number one worldwide."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11890/10101424/pep-guardiola-to-reveal-bayern-munich-future-next-week

Be great to see him in the Premier League, be interesting what he could do with the Man United squad, at Barca and Bayern he had quality players to work with. Man Utd have poor poor squad, would be his first real challenge in management for me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Daveo said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11890/10101424/pep-guardiola-to-reveal-bayern-munich-future-next-week

Be great to see him in the Premier League, be interesting what he could do with the Man United squad, at Barca and Bayern he had quality players to work with. Man Utd have poor poor squad, would be his first real challenge in management for me.

do you really believe that?

Or, like us under Clough, they just needed better coaching/management?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

do you really believe that?

Or, like us under Clough, they just needed better coaching/management?

Wouldn't say it was really poor, but for Man United's standards it was bad. I'm trying to think of a worse Man Utd squad in my lifetime but I'm struggling.

Maybe poor is being slightly harsh but it's not a squad that you would look at and think could win the league and it's far from being one able to compete in the Champions League and I don't think Guardiola would magically turn them into that overnight. 

He's walked into clubs with great squads already at his disposal, really hope he takes United on and see what he's made of. He could stay at Bayern and win the league season after season without trying like Celtic in the SPL, must want to challenge himself which is why it looks like he's off, what bigger challenge than Man Utd right now? 

Would have loved to see him go to Arsenal but Wenger will be there until he gets a letter from the Queen. 

United have a very poor squad, as the Bournemouth player (i forget who) put it, they have lost that aura now.

They have an incredible goalkeeper who is obviously not happy at all living in Manchester, a couple of decent prospects in midfield that are in and out of the team and Rooney who seems about as interested in playing for them as De Gea is..

If Pep goes there it would definitely show you how good a manager he is because they have a major rebuilding job ahead......and having said all that they are still only 4 points off the top....!

If De Gea is so uninterested in playing for them why did he sign a new contract? Why not wait for it to expire at the end of this year and go where he wants?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

If De Gea is so uninterested in playing for them why did he sign a new contract? Why not wait for it to expire at the end of this year and go where he wants?

Signing an extension to his contract won't make a scrap of difference to whether he leaves in the future or not - if he's determined to move then he will. It almost certainly still have given him a significant increase in salary and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a maximum transfer fee written into the contract as well - knowing that if the likes of Real Madrid come calling and meet the fee then it's job done!

He's done a good job at Bayern, bring in new players such as gotze, lewandowski, bernat, thiago alcantara, costa, and kingsley coman.

it will interesting to see where coman ends up now.

The man utd squad is cr@p compared to many others.

no proper centre forward option other than rooney

no right side midfield unless depay shifts over.

too many holding midfielders.

It still needs mega-bucks and who wants to work with giggs sat on your knee.

i think man city is a more likely destination.

I love FC Hollyood. And while I acknowledge Pep's brilliance he's taken a very likeable German machine and in a short space of time made changes I don't like. I know change is inevitable but I just loved that treble winning team that Osram built. Was gutted Kroos and Schweini left. There's been plenty of talk of Muller going too.

2 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I love FC Hollyood. And while I acknowledge Pep's brilliance he's taken a very likeable German machine and in a short space of time made changes I don't like. I know change is inevitable but I just loved that treble winning team that Osram built. Was gutted Kroos and Schweini left. There's been plenty of talk of Muller going too.

Just signed a new contract hasn't he?

EDIT: Just checked and signed until 2021 a couple of days ago. 

Archived