Star Wars

David

34 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

On the story note, to be honest, my friends and I are all massive Star Wars fans but not because of the films. We enjoy the films, sure, but the storyline we enjoy isn't anything George Lucas has written, it's the storyline centered on a character called Revan written for the RPG games Knights of the Old Republic and KOTOR 2. Also continued in the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. 

This is set thousands of years before the original movies.

It's more the universe that the films opened the door to that I'm a huge fan of, rather than the films themselves. I can't speak for anyone here, but that's true of all of my friends as well. 

Brilliant games those for Star Wars nerds (as was the much maligned Star Wars Galaxies).

For my sins, I'm still playing SWTOR :huh:

13 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I for one, will be front and centre at Derby Cinema De lux at 0:01 tomorrow morning, ready to renew my acquaintances with old friends I haven't see for more than 30 years, and I can't wait!!!  I'm not going in costume though, that's just f**king sad

Got tickets for me and my 12yo for 10:15am Friday morning - forget Christmas, Dec 17th has been known as Star Wars Eve in our house for the past few weeks :p

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, maxjam said:

Brilliant games those for Star Wars nerds (as was the much maligned Star Wars Galaxies.

For my sins, I'm still playing SWTOR :huh:

Got tickets for me and my 12yo for 10:15am Friday morning - forget Christmas, Dec 17th has been known as Star Wars Eve for the past few weeks :p

I play SWTOR for a few weeks every 6-10 months lol, just to see whats changed. SWG was great. 

I think it highlights a lot of people's problem with getting into the Star Wars franchise through the movies when you consider that the writing team at BioWare (a game developer for those who don't know) is far superior to the writing team that worked on any of the 6 Star Wars movies.

I'm hearing good things about the new one though, maybe the writing's been stepped up.

I was taken to see Star Wars (A New Hope) when I was 7 and it blew me away.

By some coincidence, my own son was 7 when Phantom Menace came out and I took him to see it and he loved it

Today is my birthday and that 7 year old boy is now pushing 20, and without any prompting he's got me tickets for the new one, taking me to see it on Friday night.

If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye then you have a cold dead heart

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I was taken to see Star Wars (A New Hope) when I was 7 and it blew me away.

By some coincidence, my own son was 7 when Phantom Menace came out and I took him to see it and he loved it

Today is my birthday and that 7 year old boy is now pushing 20, and without any prompting he's got me tickets for the new one, taking me to see it on Friday night.

If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye then you have a cold dead heart

Think your kid must be a little older than that given it came out in 1999. Might want to check before buying your next birthday card.

8 hours ago, SaintRam said:

The cinematic quality of the modern 3 is better (effects, general budget related things etc.), the story varies as does the acting and generally they're worse than the original 3 but more watchable to the modern first time viewer.

The "hype" really comes from various generations. People who saw the originals in the cinema were generally in love with it immediately. Watching it for the first time nowadays must be a bit like watching old Doctor Who's, but at the time no-one had done anything like it. 

The prequel trilogy, from a critic's point of view, are tosh in comparison but they did pander to the movie style of the time and so they got kids hooked and used it to create a kids animated show. A new wave of hype. I've watched the prequel trilogy plenty, for the same reason I watch stuff like Fast and Furious (although I do prefer SW), it's just quite good entertainment, it doesn't hold me emotionally or anything like that, in fact I'm usually having a conversation during. However, if I wasn't a Star Wars fan before the prequel trilogy, I doubt I would have become one. 

Also, my fandom has also been bolstered by being a gamer and the presence of some really great Star Wars games over the years.

See the new film, and if you like it, then worry about the rest. But as an adult who didn't see the original Star Wars when it was very advanced, I doubt any of the 6 films are going to hook you. Actually, I don't think any of the new ones will "hook" you either, but you never know. 

I don't see how the cinematic quality is better at all.

Actors (not) reacting to CGI characters that aren't even there. Talking whilst walking, and then stopping, because the actors ran out of stage to walk on. Talking whilst sitting on the sofa. Then some more talking whilst sat on a different sofa. It's like watching a play or a soap opera. 

6 hours ago, GreenwichRam said:

I'm sure some of you will have seen this already, but there's been a great theory on Jar Jar doing the rounds for a few years that can be a perspective-changer if you buy into it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

TL;DR: George Lucas planned for Jar Jar to be a darkside version of Yoda, appearing to be a bumbling fool but actually a master of the force and in fact the 'main' villain of the prequel trilogy. Unfortunately, the outpouring against the character caused GL to drop this storyline, though hints of it remain throughout those 3 movies.

Very likely not true, but a fascinating way to kill a Wednesday morning! 

Yeah I read that. Suggestions he could be Snoke in the new ones :lol:

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

as many have said, i guess you have to fall in love with the story and characters as a 10 year old to fully appreciate it....and get all the little characters to play with and act out the scenes with of course...

As for plot twists....the whole the chick you are attracted to Leia is your sister, the dude you are trying to kill, Vader is Daddy didn't do it for you? I remember watching it at Ripley cinemas and there being a massive gasp when Luke found out Vader was his Dad..

As for the new one...I will try to post pictures on here, we are going with the kids to watch it on opening night all of us in Star Wars costumes.....I....cannot.....wait.

Yeah isn't the 'I am your father' scene pretty much held up as the biggest twist in cinema history? Maybe the Sixth Sense rivals it but that's nowhere as popular. 

8 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

if anyone's not seen these series of reviews of the prequels, they're the closest thing there is to the bible when it comes to the YouTube-film-criticsphere

They are significantly more entertaining than the prequels themselves and I'd recommend Daveo watches this instead. 

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I play SWTOR for a few weeks every 6-10 months lol, just to see whats changed. SWG was great. 

I think it highlights a lot of people's problem with getting into the Star Wars franchise through the movies when you consider that the writing team at BioWare (a game developer for those who don't know) is far superior to the writing team that worked on any of the 6 Star Wars movies.

I'm hearing good things about the new one though, maybe the writing's been stepped up.

I play games and I grew up watching Star Wars. I also love KOTOR, Mass Effect and am currently playing Dragon Age. But you seriously rate Biowares writers as better than Lawrence Kasdan?

8 hours ago, Daveo said:

I think this is it, you need to watch them at a young age and fall in love with the characters, maybe then I would have appreciated it more.

I knew going into it the CGI would be bad, but you have no plot twists to make you think wow but you can get over that with the action scenes but even those are massive let down, the fight scenes are just laughable, they did a great job with the lightsabers but acting was so so bad. 

you've been spoiled by the "remastered" versions when Lucas stick in extra bits that weren't needed and look ***** because when he added them cgi was still young. Luckily I have the original cinematic versions pre-addons on DVD.

the plot twist was Vader being Lukes father, but its hard to keep that secret for 30 years.

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I knew a Star Wars nerd would be along to check my Maths!

Just checked and Phantom Menace was indeed late May 1999 so he was actually only 3 and a bit, not sure how I got that so far out?! Still the point remains the same

Haha I'm not a nerd. Just googled it as I seem to remember it coming out and me being 24, it didn't seem to add up!

Archived