Star Wars

David

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It is but I think Alien & Aliens fall into a different genre of sci-fi horror and there are other good 80's examples (Predator, Terminator).

Star Wars were family/children's films - Fantasy sci-fi as opposed to horror. In my opinion anyway.

ET was better.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Wolfie said earlier in the thread, you have to remember that when the original trilogy came out it was nothing like we'd seen before - it was a different world back then.  Prior to that it was Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang every Christmas

Personally speaking when you're a 10 year old and you've been taken to the cinema for the first time and see Star Wars explode onto a massive screen (and we only had a small tv that took several minutes to warm up back then!) it leaves a lasting impression.  I've been massive Star Wars fan ever since.

Star Wars has (imo) always been aimed at kids as well, hence the easy to follow storyline and at times, basic dialogue. By the time the prequel trilogy came along those of us that watched and enjoyed the original trilogy had all grown up - unfortunately Star Wars didn't grow up with us. 

An example of this is without even watching any Star Wars films you've probably heard of Jar Jar Binks - probably the most hated character George Lucas ever created, yet I now watch these films with my kids now and they love him! (And Boss Nass *shakes fist*) Marketing is also massive aimed at kids. 

Its a kids movie that also appeals to those of us that are 40+ and watched the original trilogy, if you're 20-30 its probably just another movie...

To understand Star Wars fandom is to understand the age we lived in, technology and entertainment has advanced massively since the first movie, it was like being at the birth of something newand exciting - an equivalent would be to take someone out of the 1970s that is used to using a wired telephone with a dial and giving them a mobile with the internet, they would probably believe in magic!

12 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Why was Jar Jar Binks hated so much?

A few reasons, but I think the real core of the issue was that people who had seen the original movies as a youngster discovered that, while they probably expected there to be some elements aimed at the younger viewers as Star Wars is a family franchise, what worked for kids in this modern era (I assume poor market research was done by the same committee that wrote some of the worst lines in movie history) was different, and very very annoying. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

A few reasons, but I think the real core of the issue was that people who had seen the original movies as a youngster discovered that, while they probably expected there to be some elements aimed at the younger viewers as Star Wars is a family franchise, what worked for kids in this modern era (I assume poor market research was done by the same committee that wrote some of the worst lines in movie history) was different, and very very annoying. 

I'm sure some of you will have seen this already, but there's been a great theory on Jar Jar doing the rounds for a few years that can be a perspective-changer if you buy into it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

TL;DR: George Lucas planned for Jar Jar to be a darkside version of Yoda, appearing to be a bumbling fool but actually a master of the force and in fact the 'main' villain of the prequel trilogy. Unfortunately, the outpouring against the character caused GL to drop this storyline, though hints of it remain throughout those 3 movies.

Very likely not true, but a fascinating way to kill a Wednesday morning! 

3 hours ago, Daveo said:

Only just got round to watching Star Wars which is crazy given how huge this series of films is, the missus is a big fan and with the new one coming out I thought I had better watch them as I'll be dragged to the cinema.

I've only seen the first 3 so far but I don't get it, I get the storyline, I don't get the hype, I don't see how this has become so popular.

The storyline is Eastenders level of basic, special effects truly horrific, fight scenes cringeworthy, characters shocking, there's only a handful that actual talk. R2D2 and the Wookie are irritating and Jabba the Hut reminds me of an ex.

People have said on Twitter to me if I don't like the first 3 don't continue as it gets worse, the missus claims they get better. 

I just can't face watching anymore and this is coming from someone that has watched Prison Break all the way through.

To me it's another example of how branding can mask how poor it is, just like The Walking Dead.

****bunker**** flak incoming

the originals were made in the 1970's, imagine the primitive computing available then, it was truly cronic and it still holds up today, my 7 year old lad is absolutely obsessed with the whole Star Wars story hence why 95% of his Christmas toys are Star Wars (santa emailed me)

how many films franchises are available for the whole family without worrying about swearing, nudity and blood.

As I've said a couple of times, putting aside the CGI it's still a poor set of films from what I've seen so far. I can see a 7 year old would love it, the characters are perfect for kids. What I don't understand is 20-40 year olds obsessed and going crazy for it now.

Over 40's I get the nostalgia factor but I was into the Turtles as a kid, loved it, had figures, clothing the lot, kids today love the turtles but when a new film comes out I'm not going nuts for it, I've grown up. Might watch it on Netflix if I'm bored one day. 

Reason why Star Wars is so popular has got be the branding and it's seen as being cool to be into it, because noway can it be the thrilling storyline as it's poor.

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

As I've said a couple of times, putting aside the CGI it's still a poor set of films from what I've seen so far. I can see a 7 year old would love it, the characters are perfect for kids. What I don't understand is 20-40 year olds obsessed and going crazy for it now.

Over 40's I get the nostalgia factor but I was into the Turtles as a kid, loved it, had figures, clothing the lot, kids today love the turtles but when a new film comes out I'm not going nuts for it, I've grown up. Might watch it on Netflix if I'm bored one day. 

Reason why Star Wars is so popular has got be the branding and it's seen as being cool to be into it, because noway can it be the thrilling storyline as it's poor.

That's true.

Like Spiderman, loved it as a kid and nowadays I'd watch it if it was on and probably enjoy it... but can't see the hype and going mental for it.

There's grown men on my facebook talking about going to the first showings and taking light sabre toys for crying out loud.

2 hours ago, Daveo said:

I think this is it, you need to watch them at a young age and fall in love with the characters, maybe then I would have appreciated it more.

I knew going into it the CGI would be bad, but you have no plot twists to make you think wow but you can get over that with the action scenes but even those are massive let down, the fight scenes are just laughable, they did a great job with the lightsabers but acting was so so bad. 

as many have said, i guess you have to fall in love with the story and characters as a 10 year old to fully appreciate it....and get all the little characters to play with and act out the scenes with of course...

As for plot twists....the whole the chick you are attracted to Leia is your sister, the dude you are trying to kill, Vader is Daddy didn't do it for you? I remember watching it at Ripley cinemas and there being a massive gasp when Luke found out Vader was his Dad..

As for the new one...I will try to post pictures on here, we are going with the kids to watch it on opening night all of us in Star Wars costumes.....I....cannot.....wait.

It's purely to the N word you have used there. Nostalgia. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the film but I'm sure it'll be below par. I was the same with the Jurassic World film earlier in the year, the trailer with the theme tune gave me hairs on my neck the first time I watched it because it's a massive throwback to one of my favorite childhood films. The new film itself being incredibly crap. 

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

As for the new one...I will try to post pictures on here, we are going with the kids to watch it on opening night all of us in Star Wars costumes.....I....cannot.....wait.

Please tell me you're going as Princess Leia?

25 minutes ago, Daveo said:

On the story note, to be honest, my friends and I are all massive Star Wars fans but not because of the films. We enjoy the films, sure, but the storyline we enjoy isn't anything George Lucas has written, it's the storyline centered on a character called Revan written for the RPG games Knights of the Old Republic and KOTOR 2. Also continued in the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. 

This is set thousands of years before the original movies.

It's more the universe that the films opened the door to that I'm a huge fan of, rather than the films themselves. I can't speak for anyone here, but that's true of all of my friends as well. 

As many people have already said, it's a generational thing.  You're never going to enjoy it as someone who was between 5 & 15 when the first three came out.  Kids these days look upon Star Wars like I do with Citizen Kane or Casablanca, brilliant films on a technical level at the time they were released, but look dated to those films that came after, and in a lot of cases, built upon.  It's so beloved because at the time there was stuff in it that audiences simply hadn't seen before.  

For better or for worse it's heralded a quantum leap in special effects and how films are marketed to a mass audience, no Star Wars no Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter or Jurrasic Park.

I for one, will be front and centre at Derby Cinema De lux at 0:01 tomorrow morning, ready to renew my acquaintances with old friends I haven't see for more than 30 years, and I can't wait!!!  I'm not going in costume though, that's just f**king sad

Archived