Star Wars

David

Only just got round to watching Star Wars which is crazy given how huge this series of films is, the missus is a big fan and with the new one coming out I thought I had better watch them as I'll be dragged to the cinema.

I've only seen the first 3 so far but I don't get it, I get the storyline, I don't get the hype, I don't see how this has become so popular.

The storyline is Eastenders level of basic, special effects truly horrific, fight scenes cringeworthy, characters shocking, there's only a handful that actual talk. R2D2 and the Wookie are irritating and Jabba the Hut reminds me of an ex.

People have said on Twitter to me if I don't like the first 3 don't continue as it gets worse, the missus claims they get better. 

I just can't face watching anymore and this is coming from someone that has watched Prison Break all the way through.

To me it's another example of how branding can mask how poor it is, just like The Walking Dead.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Only just got round to watching Star Wars which is crazy given how huge this series of films is, the missus is a big fan and with the new one coming out I thought I had better watch them as I'll be dragged to the cinema.

I've only seen the first 3 so far but I don't get it, I get the storyline, I don't get the hype, I don't see how this has become so popular.

The storyline is Eastenders level of basic, special effects truly horrific, fight scenes cringeworthy, characters shocking, there's only a handful that actual talk. R2D2 and the Wookie are irritating and Jabba the Hut reminds me of an ex.

People have said on Twitter to me if I don't like the first 3 don't continue as it gets worse, the missus claims they get better. 

I just can't face watching anymore and this is coming from someone that has watched Prison Break all the way through.

To me it's another example of how branding can mask how poor it is, just like The Walking Dead.

What do you mean by the first 3? Chronologically in terms of when the films were made or in terms of the storyline?

24 minutes ago, Daveo said:

by first three, do you mean the ones made since 2000s which were prequels? Or the original 3 (Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of Jedi) which were made in late 70s/early 80s?

Personally, the more recent ones were ruined by shocking CGI.

5 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I've been watching in release order, New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi

personally, they're a bit 'meh' for me. Don't love them, don't hate them. The last one they made, I think it was the last one anyway, did entertain me, where he got burned.

You've got to bear in mind that A New Hope was made almost 30 years ago. When I first saw them I was about 10 years old and they just blew my mind with the effects and characters. If you're comparing them to today's (sometimes inferior) CGI effects and choreographed stunts, then they are going to look old. Just that at the time, there had been nothing like it at the cinema before - ILM really did break the mould and many films since have tried to emulate them (and failed).

That said, I don't agree with most who say they prefer Empire Strikes Back. For me, there's too much time messing around in the forest and not enough lasers and explosions - but that's my 10 year old self coming through. My ratings for what it's worth (nothing):

A New Hope: 9/10

Empire Strikes Back: 7/10

Return of the Jedi: 7/10 (would have been 8 but for the Ewoks)

The Phantom Menace: 3/10 (Jar ******* Jar Binks)

Attack of the Clones: 5/10

Revenge of the Sith: 5.5/10

The last 2 lose a point for some horrific script writing. Some of the dialogue is truly awful.

There are plently of "huge" franchise films and TV shows that I've never understood the hype for but Star Wars was just a part of growing up and is regarded fondly as a result.

Yeah, don't watch the other three, that'll put you off watching films in general and make you question things about life. 

Just get yourself along to see Force Awakens, now you've watched the originals you'll get what's going on. I think you've missed out on not seeing them as a kid and playing all the Star Wars games and buying the toys and ****, that's what the experience really is.

I think this is it, you need to watch them at a young age and fall in love with the characters, maybe then I would have appreciated it more.

I knew going into it the CGI would be bad, but you have no plot twists to make you think wow but you can get over that with the action scenes but even those are massive let down, the fight scenes are just laughable, they did a great job with the lightsabers but acting was so so bad. 

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Star Wars was just a part of growing up and is regarded fondly as a result.

Exactly this.

I'll take your confusion as genuine rather than an attempt to wind people up, but seriously - if you watch any scifi films from the late 70s/early 80s they all look crap now. You have to watch them and appreciate how groundbreaking they were at the time, and how magical kids of that era found them

The cinematic quality of the modern 3 is better (effects, general budget related things etc.), the story varies as does the acting and generally they're worse than the original 3 but more watchable to the modern first time viewer.

The "hype" really comes from various generations. People who saw the originals in the cinema were generally in love with it immediately. Watching it for the first time nowadays must be a bit like watching old Doctor Who's, but at the time no-one had done anything like it. 

The prequel trilogy, from a critic's point of view, are tosh in comparison but they did pander to the movie style of the time and so they got kids hooked and used it to create a kids animated show. A new wave of hype. I've watched the prequel trilogy plenty, for the same reason I watch stuff like Fast and Furious (although I do prefer SW), it's just quite good entertainment, it doesn't hold me emotionally or anything like that, in fact I'm usually having a conversation during. However, if I wasn't a Star Wars fan before the prequel trilogy, I doubt I would have become one. 

Also, my fandom has also been bolstered by being a gamer and the presence of some really great Star Wars games over the years.

See the new film, and if you like it, then worry about the rest. But as an adult who didn't see the original Star Wars when it was very advanced, I doubt any of the 6 films are going to hook you. Actually, I don't think any of the new ones will "hook" you either, but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Exactly this.

I'll take your confusion as genuine rather than an attempt to wind people up, but seriously - if you watch any scifi films from the late 70s/early 80s they all look crap now. You have to watch them and appreciate how groundbreaking they were at the time, and how magical kids of that era found them

Looking crap is fine but theres no excuse for not having any depth to the storyline and bad acting. 

Again you've made a point that I didn't really think about, how it would feel watching as a kid in that era. A bit like Doctor Who I guess and I can only assume that's why people still watch it down, the nostalgia.

I'm struggling to see how people my own age and younger are so into Star Wars, I feel like it's seen as being "cool" to be into

24 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The last 2 lose a point for some horrific script writing. Some of the dialogue is truly awful.

"Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"

"Not from my perspective."

- written by a committee in a board room that one.

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

I am in this position. I thought rather than just dismiss it as rubbish I should at least watch it properly now I'm old enough to judge it...

Tried the first one from 1977 on Monday and fell asleep during the big finale. The clichéd lines were embarrassing! I get that it mustve been way advanced for it's time, but it was still just so bad. It seemed to miss huge chunks out the story, like I'm supposed to believe princess Leah would be hugging and kissing Luke and Han after meeting them the same day? Luke just decides to be a Jedi, and a good one without even thinking of it? It just doesn't show any time elapse to suspend the belief whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Exactly this.

Disagree, Aliens is phenomenal.

3 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I'm struggling to see how people my own age and younger are so into Star Wars, I feel like it's seen as being "cool" to be into

This.

I'm 25 so wasn't around for all the hype of the original films but so many people my age seem to be so into it. I know loads of people my age who are suddenly huge SW fans who've never mentioned it before the hype around this new film started. 

OK, one of those really stupid things that has stayed with me for 30 odd years:

I vividly remember watching "Every Second Counts" (80's quiz hosted by Paul Daniels) and someone was awarded a correct answer for saying that Empire Strikes Back was set in the future. I was like: NOOOOO!. What are the first 4 words on every Star Wars film?!?!?!?!

A travesty. I might sue for the mental anguish ever since.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Disagree, Aliens is phenomenal.

It is but I think Alien & Aliens fall into a different genre of sci-fi horror and there are other good 80's examples (Predator, Terminator).

Star Wars were family/children's films - Fantasy sci-fi as opposed to horror. In my opinion anyway.

Archived