Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Obviously, you're doing what you can to deal with this so may be preaching to the converted.  My mother in law had very similar symptoms to this -in fact identical including the hourly loo trips .- and was diagnosed with Diverticulitis after three days in hospital .  One of the biggest no-no's was tomatos to prevent flare up's but she wasn't told this for a year - just in case it's that .

I've tried all kinds of diets, more recently the low fodmap and nothing has really improved. Don't have any fruit or veg now, used to dabble in the odd bit of carrot but now I have had the inflammation of the bowel confirmed trying to stay low fibre so not to have....well you know...big ones.

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

Cheers Mostyn...I dropped off here for a while during her illness and only came back on after she died.

Doggo currently being operated on. No idea what to expect. Waiting for a call. More scared and forlorn right now than a middle aged man ought to be in the circumstances I guess.

Hope it all works out ok 

?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Hope it all works out ok 

?

Just had a rather dramatic call back. They opened him up and found no foreign body in his stomach or intestines, but his throat is blocked by a swelling/growth and he was full of gas. They've released that, but just as the vet was on the phone she got a shout from the nurse and had to hang up to go and check on him again. Half hour later, she calls back. The swelling has got worse and he can't breath. They put a tube down his throat and I had to make a decision on a second operation. Of course I've OK'd it, so they're giving him a tracheotomy so he can breath while (they hope) the swelling goes down.

They hope the swelling is due to his being sick so much, but it could be anything. They'll keep him overnight, but he's had so much trauma now that the odds are diminishing. Zero without this second op though.

Cruel ducking world. Poor little lad. 

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

Just had a rather dramatic call back. They opened him up and found no foreign body in his stomach or intestines, but his throat is blocked by a swelling/growth and he was full of gas. They've released that, but just as the vet was on the phone she got a shout from the nurse and had to hang up to go and check on him again. Half hour later, she calls back. The swelling has got worse and he can't breath. They put a tube down his throat and I had to make a decision on a second operation. Of course I've OK'd it, so they're giving him a tracheotomy so he can breath while (they hope) the swelling goes down.

They hope the swelling is due to his being sick so much, but it could be anything. They'll keep him overnight, but he's had so much trauma now that the odds are diminishing. Zero without this second op though.

On the positive side, vets can be miracle workers these days. It'll cost you, mind, but that's not really the point. 

Fingers crossed for you. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

On the positive side, vets can be miracle workers these days. It'll cost you, mind, but that's not really the point. 

Fingers crossed for you. 

Thanks Gboro. £1300 and counting...and no, he's not insured, and yes I do feel a klutz about that. Never mind. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

3 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Thanks Gboro. £1300 and counting...and no, he's not insured, and yes I do feel a klutz about that. Never mind. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Been there, done that. New puppy is looking very unwell on her first day, walking in a semi daze. Late on we let her out to go to the toilet, but her back legs seem to buckle under her. 

Vet trip, £1300 later she's had fluids dripped in, and she's home. I think the person who sold her sold her at about 4 weeks and told us she was 8. I think she was still on milk from the mother, and had never been on solids. 

Good luck, don't worry about the money. You would only have spent it on something else. 

11 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Young dog, he'll be ok.

Just wait until you bring it home, under strict instructions about what it can and can't do, and drive yourself mad trying to contain it! 

All the best, thoughts are with you.

4 hours ago, Needlesh said:

It could be a sting? Sometimes dogs eat wasps or bees and get stung in the throat. Hopefully thats all it is. 

Edited by RamNut

He's overnight at the vets. Just spoken to them and he's breathing through his tracheotomy OK, and he's even stood up a bit. They've given him a huge dose of steroids (her words) to hopefully bring the swelling in his throat down. Next 24 hours will tell. Off to bed, clinging to hope.

Thanks to all of you guys. Been a horrible day, and you've helped make it that bit easier.

3 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Update: Vet called. He's made it through the night. Hoping to take his tracheotomy tube out later today.

Much like supporting our DCFC, it's the hope that hurts!

not gonna lie, been kinda sweating on this update. Sounds like it's going the right way now. Still rooting for ya.

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've also gone down this road on more than one occasion,  I don't trust the NHS as it is simply not thorough enough- seen this time and again with family and friends- so pay the same consultant £250 quid to do the same job but with more care. It's a strange world .   Anyway ,  a new system in place re the above - you can have a private consultation but then you cannot get referred straight to an NHS waiting list. You now have to go back to your GP and get re- reffered .  Bonkers.  You will notice that the Nuffield is basically becoming an offshoot of the NHS as so many people are now going past the 2 week referral for suspected nastiness. 

Please also be aware that if you go private, althougth its the last thing you are thinking about when you get there- ensure the consultant provides a full costing as I got stung once for £650 for cleaning a camera they shoved in my nose .

My 2 year old has been suffering with severe constipation for over a year now.

He has been on Movicol in his milk the whole time but it changes nothing. We're told his bowel has stretched and he is just building up and up until it's unbearable. When he does eventually go he is pushing so hard and screaming, it's absolutely heartbreaking to watch. We go back to the paediatrician, they tell us the same thing, and the cycle goes on.

We talk about going private but we don't really have the money to do so. How has it come to this? Our NHS can't fix a 2 year old in absolute agony? He can only be fixed if i start earning more money? 

18 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

He has been on Movicol in his milk the whole time but it changes nothing. We're told his bowel has stretched and he is just building up and up until it's unbearable. When he does eventually go he is pushing so hard and screaming, it's absolutely heartbreaking to watch. We go back to the paediatrician, they tell us the same thing, and the cycle goes on.

We talk about going private but we don't really have the money to do so. How has it come to this? Our NHS can't fix a 2 year old in absolute agony? He can only be fixed if i start earning more money? 

I had a call from the nurse on my case the other day, talking me through what they plan on doing with my sedated body.

Was pretty unpleasant, but she went on to say that because of my age they will be able to nail the causes and treat it effectively so don’t worry. 

Young ones it’s a different story, they are not referred for scans and colonoscopy’s initially but treated for psychological issues as GP’s see bowel problems as kids being kids.

Because they are left so long in pain, some are beyond the first phase of treatment and end up having sections of their bowel removed.

Not looking to scare you here, but make sure you push them and if your GP won’t refer you to the gastrointestinal department at the hospital, find a GP that will. 

I could bore you all for hours with my full story from the last 3 years, but it really does come down to luck with the NHS and who you get on the day with the clipboard.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Not looking to scare you here, but make sure you push them and if your GP won’t refer you to the gastrointestinal department at the hospital, find a GP that will. 

@Smyth_18 I agree totally with David. It's very difficult because as laymen we're labouring in the dark. GP's get what, 10 minutes per patient, and that includes writing up the notes. They'll go through a fairly standard decision tree and if your case doesn't fit neatly into their boxes you an easily miss out on the right treatment. Keep on at them. Make it easier for them to refer you than keep telling you no. If necessary over-state the symptoms, be a bit dramatic, whatever it takes. 

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Thats awful mate .  I think to see the kind of gastric person you need would probably be an initial 250-300 for an apt .  You can go back onto the NHS for anything further needed - just a bit more convoluted than it used to be .  So many people use Nuffield now I think you could get a loan to pay back over 10 months through Nuffield but worth giving them a ring to see .  if you can fund that initial apt it will hopefully be worth it .  Don't assume it will all needed to be funded on privately - it's flexible

Without being too graphic I was prescribed creams from a gp that set my arse on fire for 18 months . Insisted on seeing a consultant -paid to see him on finding there was a 4 month wait and I couldent sit down at work - saw consultant who was horrified I was using paraffin based creams as I had a tear that required surgery .

If this is still too much in my experience you may need to speak to the practice manager at your GP regarding getting a referral .