Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mostyn6

Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Recommended Posts

Bit reluctant to post on this topic as it's had a disastrous affect on my wife's family, and doesn't really offer much in the way of solace.

My step-son had been acting oddly for years. He'd dropped out of Uni and we didn't know for 18 months. He was sleeping in some mates spare room, and had developed a gambling habit, spending any money he could put together into one-armed bandits.

He seemed to snap out of that and got a decent job. However, it eventually became apparent that he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and severe depression. The doctor who eventually made the prognosis was totally convinced it was due to smoking canabis in his teens. Anyone who tells you it's harmless is a prat.

Eventually he couldn't hold a job down,he thought everyone was talking about him and 'sniffing' him. He became completely delusional, but with lucid spells.

He was treated with various ant-psychotic drugs, but he suffered a reaction with some of them, one nearly killing him when he went into convulsions. It took 3 doses of antidote to bring him back. On two occasions he went missing for days on end and was sleeping rough. His 'voices' told him it was a task to be accomplished as a 'punishment.

About 5 1/2 years ago he agreed to be admitted as a voluntary patient at the infamous Bradgate Unit at Glenfield, Leicester. (Lester ram will probably know of  it's notoriety and inefficiency). As he was voluntary, he was allowed to go out for walks.

One day, he went out and tried to throw himself in front of a lorry. The lorry driver swerved and avoided him, then phoned the police.

Before they could get there,he'd tried twice more, the third time being hit by a car doing 40 mph. Unfortunately (I use the word humanely) he survived, and has lived the rest of the time in a virtually vegitative state, paralysed, but with Locked-in syndrome. He still suffers from schizophrenia. He has a permanent trachy, and is fed by a tube into his stomach.

His only communication with the outside world is by raising his eyebrows, so he can spell words if you work your way through the alphabet with a piece of card with the letters written on.

My wife does the 40-mile round trip to Loughborough twice a week, and has done for 5 1/2 years (she's there now, it being his birthday, hardly a joyous occasion).

How much it's cost the NHS to keep him alive is anydody's guess. Don't get me started on do-gooders who say 'everyone has a right to live' (even if  it's in no-one best interests).

That doesn't really help anyone I suppose, but there's always someone out there to help, if you seek it, and there's always someone worse off than yourself.

Well, I've got that off my chest, but I can't say I feel any better for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/15/2015 at 15:00, Uptherams said:

On the blue light point. Anyone can download a piece of software called f.lux for free.  It mirrors daylight and after two days or so of using it you are completely unaware that you are using it. Blue Light is a huge problem, even for people who don't think it is for them. I recommend everyone uses f.lux immediately. 

I thought I mentioned this at the time, but reading through the thread again clearly I didn't. I wear computer glasses for work, which cut out blue light. A helpful accessory for anyone spending a lot of time looking at a screen regardless of their emotional state. Helps with eyestrain and tiredness etc. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duco-Ergonomic-Advanced-Computer-Transparent/dp/B00L26W6MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450374610&sr=8-1&keywords=duco+computer

The pair I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

it's an easier link than the first one, but I cannot relate massively to it. Maybe little bits, fear-avoidance etc.

I have a book that is more user-friendly. It's all about the relationships we have with other people. Or don't. I studied it for my fostering  job and on a course it hit me like a thunderbolt. 

It helped me understand why I felt how I felt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Bit reluctant to post on this topic as it's had a disastrous affect on my wife's family, and doesn't really offer much in the way of solace.

My step-son had been acting oddly for years. He'd dropped out of Uni and we didn't know for 18 months. He was sleeping in some mates spare room, and had developed a gambling habit, spending any money he could put together into one-armed bandits.

He seemed to snap out of that and got a decent job. However, it eventually became apparent that he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and severe depression. The doctor who eventually made the prognosis was totally convinced it was due to smoking canabis in his teens. Anyone who tells you it's harmless is a prat.

Eventually he couldn't hold a job down,he thought everyone was talking about him and 'sniffing' him. He became completely delusional, but with lucid spells.

He was treated with various ant-psychotic drugs, but he suffered a reaction with some of them, one nearly killing him when he went into convulsions. It took 3 doses of antidote to bring him back. On two occasions he went missing for days on end and was sleeping rough. His 'voices' told him it was a task to be accomplished as a 'punishment.

About 5 1/2 years ago he agreed to be admitted as a voluntary patient at the infamous Bradgate Unit at Glenfield, Leicester. (Lester ram will probably know of  it's notoriety and inefficiency). As he was voluntary, he was allowed to go out for walks.

One day, he went out and tried to throw himself in front of a lorry. The lorry driver swerved and avoided him, then phoned the police.

Before they could get there,he'd tried twice more, the third time being hit by a car doing 40 mph. Unfortunately (I use the word humanely) he survived, and has lived the rest of the time in a virtually vegitative state, paralysed, but with Locked-in syndrome. He still suffers from schizophrenia. He has a permanent trachy, and is fed by a tube into his stomach.

His only communication with the outside world is by raising his eyebrows, so he can spell words if you work your way through the alphabet with a piece of card with the letters written on.

My wife does the 40-mile round trip to Loughborough twice a week, and has done for 5 1/2 years (she's there now, it being his birthday, hardly a joyous occasion).

How much it's cost the NHS to keep him alive is anydody's guess. Don't get me started on do-gooders who say 'everyone has a right to live' (even if  it's in no-one best interests).

That doesn't really help anyone I suppose, but there's always someone out there to help, if you seek it, and there's always someone worse off than yourself.

Well, I've got that off my chest, but I can't say I feel any better for it.

 

No, I can't imagine you would. 

My thoughts go out to you, your wife and your step-son, I can't begin to imagine the strain, but I really appreciate you sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post

All I can say is thank you for sharing all your words on here.... 

 

Us humans are amazing.... Everything shared I read thoroughly and I take a little bit out of every post to help me through the day, hour, half hour.... Would any mod by any chance keep this one pinned please? If that is ok?

 

Im always ready to listen and help so please DM me at any point... I help listen to others who have depression/addiction problems too... If not on here through DM I'm also on Twitter @baronmad79 and I'm accessible on there through DM if you want to know my real name etc...I can assure you I'm confidential and I wouldn't share anything with anyone else.

 

Regards Andy

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No, I can't imagine you would. 

My thoughts go out to you, your wife and your step-son, I can't begin to imagine the strain, but I really appreciate you sharing. 

 

i've 'liked' this post because it would be in appropriate to 'like' Phoenix's post ,

Heart goes out to @Phoenix and the rest of his family during these very difficult times , God bless ..

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, sage said:

I have a book that is more user-friendly. It's all about the relationships we have with other people. Or don't. I studied it for my fostering  job and on a course it hit me like a thunderbolt. 

It helped me understand why I felt how I felt.

 

Do you have the title please? 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Do you have the title please? 

This is the one i have for work

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attachment-Theory-Social-Work-Practice/dp/0333625625/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1450377780&sr=8-10&keywords=attachment+theory

This one may be more useful fir adults looking to help themselves, but may be heavy going

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Secure-Base-Attachment-Psychotherapy/dp/1583911529/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450377780&sr=8-9&keywords=attachment+theory

This one is an easier read (but not much)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attachment-Theory-Adult-Mental-Health/dp/0415687411/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450377985&sr=8-4&keywords=attachment+theory+secure+base

I'm happy to chat with anyone about it (in layman's terms) if anyone wants to PM me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Maybe re do it? Can't possibly do any harm. 

Read it back and it didn't make any sense. 

Basically I'm in self pity mode. I recognise that. But i'm stuck with it and tbh, not arsed to dig myself out

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Bit reluctant to post on this topic as it's had a disastrous affect on my wife's family, and doesn't really offer much in the way of solace.

My step-son had been acting oddly for years. He'd dropped out of Uni and we didn't know for 18 months. He was sleeping in some mates spare room, and had developed a gambling habit, spending any money he could put together into one-armed bandits.

He seemed to snap out of that and got a decent job. However, it eventually became apparent that he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and severe depression. The doctor who eventually made the prognosis was totally convinced it was due to smoking canabis in his teens. Anyone who tells you it's harmless is a prat.

Eventually he couldn't hold a job down,he thought everyone was talking about him and 'sniffing' him. He became completely delusional, but with lucid spells.

He was treated with various ant-psychotic drugs, but he suffered a reaction with some of them, one nearly killing him when he went into convulsions. It took 3 doses of antidote to bring him back. On two occasions he went missing for days on end and was sleeping rough. His 'voices' told him it was a task to be accomplished as a 'punishment.

About 5 1/2 years ago he agreed to be admitted as a voluntary patient at the infamous Bradgate Unit at Glenfield, Leicester. (Lester ram will probably know of  it's notoriety and inefficiency). As he was voluntary, he was allowed to go out for walks.

One day, he went out and tried to throw himself in front of a lorry. The lorry driver swerved and avoided him, then phoned the police.

Before they could get there,he'd tried twice more, the third time being hit by a car doing 40 mph. Unfortunately (I use the word humanely) he survived, and has lived the rest of the time in a virtually vegitative state, paralysed, but with Locked-in syndrome. He still suffers from schizophrenia. He has a permanent trachy, and is fed by a tube into his stomach.

His only communication with the outside world is by raising his eyebrows, so he can spell words if you work your way through the alphabet with a piece of card with the letters written on.

My wife does the 40-mile round trip to Loughborough twice a week, and has done for 5 1/2 years (she's there now, it being his birthday, hardly a joyous occasion).

How much it's cost the NHS to keep him alive is anydody's guess. Don't get me started on do-gooders who say 'everyone has a right to live' (even if  it's in no-one best interests).

That doesn't really help anyone I suppose, but there's always someone out there to help, if you seek it, and there's always someone worse off than yourself.

Well, I've got that off my chest, but I can't say I feel any better for it.

 

That brought a tear to my eyes mate, we have heard chronic stories about the Bradgate team and like you my brother in law was a human guinea pig and convulsed due to incorrect dosage on medication, the NHS is failing all mental health and further cuts to come its a terrible and still misunderstood disease.

We have heard that this part of glenfield hospital is finishing, it's surely not fit for purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

That brought a tear to my eyes mate, we have heard chronic stories about the Bradgate team and like you my brother in law was a human guinea pig and convulsed due to incorrect dosage on medication, the NHS is failing all mental health and further cuts to come its a terrible and still misunderstood disease.

We have heard that this part of glenfield hospital is finishing, it's surely not fit for purpose.

A girl at the unit hung herself from a tree in the grounds, around the time my step-son was in there. The unit's response was to cut the tree down. It beggars belief. Also, we got wind of the fact that a report was being compiled by the coroners office due to the exceptional number of suicides that had occurred. My wife contacted them and asked if they were also covering the considerable number of cases where the suicide attempt was unsuccessful. Sadly not, it was not in their remit.

Thanks, all, for your kind concerns.

Share this post


Link to post

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought to myself "don't think I'll follow this one - it's not for me". So glad I did though.

I've never considered myself as having mental health issues (and still don't) but having read every comment, the thread has totally opened my eyes to the fact that many more people are affected in one way or another than I ever thought, whether sufferers themselves or friend/relative of someone who is.

I can't offer any answers or advice since I guess you have to be a lot closer to what it means to be troubled by these illnesses than I have ever been. However, I feel I need to just say how brave you all are to open up with each other as you have and in doing so, realise that you are not on your own, which hopefully will go some way to provide some comfort, particularly at this time of the year.

Guys (and girls), your frankness in coming forward and discussing what must be extremely difficult, painful and personal feelings has been a real inspiration.

Thanks Mostyn6 for starting the thread and good luck to everyone trying to work their way through difficult times.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

psst. Anybody want any pills?

Happy to offer support and advice too, but truthfully my pills are better.

image.jpeg

if you're gonna draw on them, at least turn the hats into turbans!

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

if you're gonna draw on them, at least turn the hats into turbans!

Racist!  

Genuinely, hope you get things sorted buddy. Had a few run-ins myself with depression over the years; acknowledging it, and taking positive action is the best medicine.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.