Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

so, just to give an update to the hordes of you that messaged me privately, and here publicly, with your concerns and support.

I shelled out £400 on a pretty damned good treadmill from Argos (Reebok ZR9 if you're after a bargain!), and burned off a few calories putting the bloody thing together. I've had three workouts in 3 days and my calves are a bit tight, but I can already feel that I am feeling a bit...no, quite a lot better about myself.

I also got hold of Vitamin D tablets, which have definitely, without doubt, given me more energy in the office at work.

I saw this article today:- http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/18/sad-exercise-antidepressants and made me think about writing this.

So, firstly, I'm not too proud to admit I took the advice from posters on here, and secondly, thanks to anyone in here who gave a ****, cos I do about others, and it gave me a little bit of a boost that people didn't just slate me for starting this thread.

Here's to better times x

Well played fella.

I bet you still get dark moments? Dark thoughts? 

What I've done is to start up little "projects" when I'm in a good mood and try to focus on them. Quite easy because I have like an obsessive/addictive personality. 

I'm sorting out a coaching course and hoping that I get good news on a team I want to manage.

I booked tattoo work that I've  been delaying. 

I just started saying yes to being more social even though my instinct is to say no. 

I don't touch computer games. I'm not a huge gamer anyway but I would spend a few hours per week. I've banned myself though because I end up thinking while I'm playing.End up feeling proper down.

I dunno about exercise but just changing your life seems to help. Say yes when you would say no. Go do things that you say you'll do one day. 

Just a shake up. 

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

so, just to give an update to the hordes of you that messaged me privately, and here publicly, with your concerns and support.

I shelled out £400 on a pretty damned good treadmill from Argos (Reebok ZR9 if you're after a bargain!), and burned off a few calories putting the bloody thing together. I've had three workouts in 3 days and my calves are a bit tight, but I can already feel that I am feeling a bit...no, quite a lot better about myself.

I also got hold of Vitamin D tablets, which have definitely, without doubt, given me more energy in the office at work.

I saw this article today:- http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/18/sad-exercise-antidepressants and made me think about writing this.

So, firstly, I'm not too proud to admit I took the advice from posters on here, and secondly, thanks to anyone in here who gave a ****, cos I do about others, and it gave me a little bit of a boost that people didn't just slate me for starting this thread.

Here's to better times x

Good man... 

9 hours ago, Boycie said:

We were all depressed when you never turned up at the Brunny on sat.

Froggg had to drink your pint, and the rest.

Sorry, I left my car headlights on and my battery died. Going up to my seat as the game kicked off

19 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Here's to better times x

Get your trainers on and get outside for a run, this is great weather to be out there blowing the cobwebs off. Try out your local parkrun on a Saturday morning (google it), there are enough of them about when you can run with anything from 150 to 400 other people. Hope all goes well for you.

36 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Get your trainers on and get outside for a run, this is great weather to be out there blowing the cobwebs off. Try out your local parkrun on a Saturday morning (google it), there are enough of them about when you can run with anything from 150 to 400 other people. Hope all goes well for you.

Whoa there! 

I'm only trying introduce exercise into my hectic life, not trying to break into the Olympic squad!! 

Nowhere near fit enough for that malarkey yet. By the time I've jogged to the end of the road, it's time to stop and rest lol. 

I need to learn to er...er....er.. Run before i can run!! 

20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Here's to better times x

Just don't beat yourself up if you aren't on the treadmill everyday! I always used to find a long walk with the dog helped, the fresh air, the generally overly happy nature of the dog and getting out of the house of your own free will. I knew I was in a dark place when I couldn't even find the enthusiasm to do that.

The whole thing of this thread to me is never be afraid to ask for help, wouldn't be living the life I am if it hadn't been for the support and belief of a few people. Despite the amount of tripe and bad things the internet brings, bringing people together in times of need is definitely a great use, the beauty of a neutral voice to remind you the sun is still there behind the clouds.

27 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Despite the amount of tripe and bad things the internet brings, bringing people together in times of need is definitely a great use, the beauty of a neutral voice to remind you the sun is still there behind the clouds.

Internet and computers has to be rationed in my experience. Helps you withdraw sometimes. I have not been clinically depressed myself though I did have a miserable few years. What broke it for me was ditching the computer and TV which I'd spend hours in front of in the evening and getting some fresh air, forcing myself to do things and meet people (last thing you want to do sometimes). I found it too easy to come back from work log on the PC and stay there all night.

I still follow the philosophy now, other than a couple of threads on this forum, a couple of other forums, a scan of a few news websites - that is pretty much my internet usage. Bit of Youtube at the weekend maybe!

• 4 weeks later...

Been getting worse over the last couple of weeks culminating in a really rough weekend. Will initiate the advice I always give others and have some discussion with the key people in my life over the next few days but as of right now I'm very much considering hitting a refresh button for most aspects of my life. 

Not really looking forward to it, one of my coping methods was to have my other half generally unaware of the scope of it all while talking to my family (it's probably a really bad idea, but is kind of nice to have someone who's always smiley and trying to innocently cheer you up around) but I fear that's going to have to change this time.

I was close to reviving this thread last week. Not sure why I didn't.

I confided in an aunt a few weeks ago, she was a bit upset that I'd gone through a rough period alone, and very upset with my mother, who I have no relationship with whatsoever.

A few days passed and my aunt's daughter (my cousin) sent me a lengthy text about her husband, who I really admire, but haven't seen for a while, going through a really really rough period. She echoed a lot of the advice given in here, and that thankfully, her husband is getting better.

I'd like to think I'd come through the roughest part with the introduction of more regular exercise, and knowing I can vent on here without criticism for it.

Hope you do find the first step again @SaintRam, your contribution to this thread has been noted and appreciated I can assure you.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Been getting worse over the last couple of weeks culminating in a really rough weekend. Will initiate the advice I always give others and have some discussion with the key people in my life over the next few days but as of right now I'm very much considering hitting a refresh button for most aspects of my life. 

Not really looking forward to it, one of my coping methods was to have my other half generally unaware of the scope of it all while talking to my family (it's probably a really bad idea, but is kind of nice to have someone who's always smiley and trying to innocently cheer you up around) but I fear that's going to have to change this time.

It may seem a good idea , but speaking from experience....... When you want to talk to them, and explain how you are feeling, you'll put it off. Again and again, and it becomes more difficult with time. Then it seems impossible. 

I know easier said than done. 

Do it. 

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

As a sufferer of clinical depression and anxiety, I suggest talking to someone about how you're feeling, I know it's not easy, but you feel like a weight has been lifted afterwards! 

It's weird, I was about to bring this thread up... I've been a bit low recently, just thinking back to the time I was being stalked/trolled on line a few years ago and it made my life hell... Started to get withdrawn and blinkered all over again and couldn't tell anyone about it... Made me really depressed and it got to the stage where I swallowed pills. 

Its a long story and only slightly linked to my well known addiction. One or two know on here already. That's why I've been a bit cheesed today on threads being hijacked by accounts I see as trolls. Also sounded off plenty on Twitter too. @SaintRam I'm always  and I'm sure there's plenty on this thread there if you need to talk.