Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Well i don't know that much. My experience was with someone who was a gentle soul who went seriously mentally ill with no warning signs at all. I think he would be dead if he hadn't been detained.

Can't comment on your example, obviously, except to say that I'm dubious about 'no warning signs at all'. 

Apart from that, I can only reiterate the point I've already made; that I'm not talking about the restraint of people who are a danger to others, I'm saying if you use that as a benchmark for everyone, you do untold harm to the majority who are no threat to anyone. 

Fine lines in the type of matters being referred to immediately above. Some poor bloke (in front of his 14 yo son) was stabbed to his death last week in Guildford.  His killer’s opening gambit in court today was:

"Innocent until proven guilty," adding: "I'm paranoid. I'm hearing voices."

Not sure this is the thread for opening up this wider debate however.

Edited by i-Ram

57 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think with respect to those that started the thread and have used it for positive means, it's not really the place to start debating that. I'm not even very comfortable with the turn it has taken in the last couple of pages.

Not saying anyone's views are invalid, but I don't feel it's the place to be saying contentious stuff IMO

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I think at the very least it's valid to question the medical model of mental illness, as this tends to frame the way in which people understand their experience. 

Fine if that's not what anyone wants to discuss here, but it's good to be aware that there are other, generally more empowering, ways of making sense of life. 

26 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I think at the very least it's valid to question the medical model of mental illness, as this tends to frame the way in which people understand their experience. 

Fine if that's not what anyone wants to discuss here, but it's good to be aware that there are other, generally more empowering, ways of making sense of life. 

Yes - not saying we shouldn't talk about it, but maybe needs a separate thread and keep this one to more personal experiences and a safe place to chat about our own mental health. I think the people who need a thread like this the most will likely be deterred from posting if it just becomes a big debate about the nuances of health provision

I'd just like to say thanks to the people who responded positively/humourously to my previous posts in this thread.

While my problem was more physical than mental, the unexpected speed at which I was admitted to hospital and had surgery caught me well off balance, mentally speaking.

I hope those who are really struggling find the way to open up to someone, anyone who they think can help, it's not a weakness to ask, I only wish I could summon the same courage personally.

Just seen this advertised, don't know if it would be of use to anyone on here.

This free course, Understanding depression and anxiety, explores the causes of these mental health issues, with a particular focus on stress. You will consider some risk and causal factors for some depression and anxiety disorders, and learn about the biology and psychology behind them.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/health-sports-psychology/health/understanding-depression-and-anxiety/content-section-0?active-tab=description-tab

37 minutes ago, froggg said:

?

Come now, they're here to save lives, not check every last detail.

Whoops, removed the wrong one, again!

True story, before my recent op a junior nurse turned up with a biro to draw a circle around the bit that needed attention. 

On closer inspection, she thankfully put the pen away and said if he can't hit the bullseye without guidance they're wasn't much hope!

She never said if that referred to him or me.

Edited by reveldevil
Bullseye

7 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Very eye catching reading this thread as an healthcare proffesional 

Use us as case studies ?. In all seriousness we have each other’s back, we have something in common obviously and we aren’t judgemental and are understanding... pretty much everything the professionals aren’t. Present company excluded obviously! 

7 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Come now, they're here to save lives, not check every last detail.

Whoops, removed the wrong one, again!

True story, before my recent op a junior nurse turned up with a biro to draw a circle around the bit that needed attention. 

On closer inspection, she thankfully put the pen away and said if he can't hit the bullseye without guidance they're wasn't much hope!

She never said if that referred to him or me.

A biro?I can’t imagine that being very comfortable press against your bits.

It wouldn’t have filled me full of confidence.

10 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

we aren’t judgemental and are understanding... pretty much everything the professionals aren’t.

because we don't have to do it day after day, year after year. And we don't have to deal with lack of staff, resources, funding, mis-management, unrealistic targets etc etc

I bet almost all of us have a story about that **** in the health service that didn't treat us/a friend/a family member as we might have hoped. It makes sense. When we're at our most vulnerable we need them the most. We have understandably high expectations. But if we're being non-judgemental we should probably extend that to "the professionals" who are doing a very tough job under difficult circumstances. They may have just been having a bad day...

Anxiety has struck me again unfortunately. Since Friday I've been struck down with the worst flu I have ever experienced. To top it off our 21 month old was being sick everywhere Saturday night and high temp. Took him to hospital Sunday and he has an ear infection. The wife is also bedridden with an ear infection.

Luckily Billy seems ok but what hurts is having to sit him in front of the TV or scrolling through YouTube because we're incapable of looking after him properly.

Also, I've never had more than 2 days off work and I've been off since Friday lunch. I feel like I am letting people down & it's not going down well, although they sound pretty understanding.

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Luckily Billy seems ok but what hurts is having to sit him in front of the TV or scrolling through YouTube because we're incapable of looking after him properly.

Billy will be fine, this is what happens to me when the missus is at work during the day and I’m alright.

Just make sure you’ve got it on kids mode, some weird places on YouTube that you can end up.

7 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Anxiety has struck me again unfortunately. Since Friday I've been struck down with the worst flu I have ever experienced. To top it off our 21 month old was being sick everywhere Saturday night and high temp. Took him to hospital Sunday and he has an ear infection. The wife is also bedridden with an ear infection.

Also, I've never had more than 2 days off work and I've been off since Friday lunch. I feel like I am letting people down & it's not going down well, although they sound pretty understanding.

Balderdash!

Looks to me like you're coping remarkably well with everything you've got to contend with this week.

You're a loyal worker and responsible parent, clearly. Stop beating yourself up for a minute and give yourself a pat on the back instead. Billy isn't going to be scarred by Cbeebies/whatever for a few days til you get back on your feet, fella.

Just wanted to say anxiety and depression very common after flu particularly if you are prone to mental health issues. Don't worry about having time off work or letting the little one watch TV. Put your needs first for a bit. As a family you are part of a team and everyone is important including you. Have you tried magnesium supplements. They do help and can be taken with prescription medication too. Vitamin B supplements are good too. Hope you feel better soon - anxiety is horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

I respect that posting on here is a very personal matter, and timing is to a degree affected by current state of mind. I would be comforted though if @AshfieldRam, @Moist One and @ronnieronalde might sometime soon let us know there is more light since the turn of the year. Good to see the latter two posting from time to time. Stay strong you Rams, and Ronnie!

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I respect that posting on here is a very personal matter, and timing is to a degree affected by current state of mind. I would be comforted though if @AshfieldRam, @Moist One and @ronnieronalde might sometime soon let us know there is more light since the turn of the year. Good to see the latter two posting from time to time. Stay strong you Rams, and Ronnie!

My foot is better and Christmas is done and dusted. I’m able to exercise frequently and have been for the last three weeks. Whilst I still have isolation and loneliness issues. I don’t feel like jumping in front of a truck right now. Thanks for asking x