Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

Morning Everyone

I'm probably a good bit older than most of you who have contributed to this thread. All will have different reasons for feeling low. The one constant thing I've learned from seeing people affected by this is that they are not the best judges of their condition.

Several people I know have recovered well and fairly quickly through seeking professional help. I urge any of you who are feeling unwell to do the same.

I read a story about a guy whose mate as he put "stood toe to toe with cancer" for years .His mate came out with a line which resonated with me ,he said living ain't for pussies there are hard knocks on the way .Brave man

I think everyone questions themselves sometime in their lives and everyone needs to plug into the good guy's and girls and don't waste time on the rest .

Couple of things in this thread ,things ALWAYS seem worse when your are in bed in the middle of the night .They don't look half as bad the next day.

For anyone who gets panic attacks ,cup your hands over your mouth and nose and breathe ,it does slow the heart rate down.

Hope this helps, maybe a good therapeutic DCFC fans piss up would be good.

After reading through this thread I realise how lucky I am not to have suffered what is obviously a very real and distressing condition.

But I also think it's brilliant how people are willing to help others by posting about their own experiences of what must have been some of the most difficult parts of their lives.

Good on you and I honestly hope that this thread helps the people that need it.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah man. I've been reading the thread but not posted because I was wanting to keep feeding off it. But then the last post was on Tuesday at 3pm and I didn't want it to get lost. 

Would like to see people keep posting. 

Cheers.

Agree. We had one before  I think , but it fizzled out. 

A question for anyone. Everyone advises talking, and that makes sense. What about when there is no one to talk to? Maybe that sounds odd. Is the only answer, professional help? 

8 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

A question for anyone. Everyone advises talking, and that makes sense. What about when there is no one to talk to? Maybe that sounds odd. Is the only answer, professional help? 

If there is truly no-one, then for the short term professional help must be the priority. But that person should do whatever they can to seek a social relationship, whether a new friend, a helping group or just a social group, that gives them an outlet to talk whenever they feel like doing so, without having to book an appointment or wait for the next scheduled chat.

It really cannot be understated how helpful it is to have an immediate outlet the moment you feel like you need one.

I'm impressed how eloquently you all speak about this topic. 

A couple of things I would like to share. A relative lost both her son and her husband and the GP offered immediate tablets. Her response fills me with admiration - 'no thank you, I'm not depressed, I am sad. I know why I am sad and tablets won't change that'. Depression is a medical, chemical thing. She now faces life in the way that nothing can happen that is worse than that and I love her and admire her very much for her absolute guts.

also, I had thyrotoxicosis and that is very bad for your mental state. Your mind races, you can't sleep, you can't stop your thoughts, you can't see reason, no concentration, frightened of everything. It's like being on a white knuckle ride you can't get off. I wonder now how I came through. My purpose for posting this is to offer proof that hormones (in this case thyroxine) can affect your mental state and its not always circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I'm impressed how eloquently you all speak about this topic. 

A couple of things I would like to share. A relative lost both her son and her husband and the GP offered immediate tablets. Her response fills me with admiration - 'no thank you, I'm not depressed, I am sad. I know why I am sad and tablets won't change that'. Depression is a medical, chemical thing. She now faces life in the way that nothing can happen that is worse than that and I love her and admire her very much for her absolute guts.

also, I had thyrotoxicosis and that is very bad for your mental state. Your mind races, you can't sleep, you can't stop your thoughts, you can't see reason, no concentration, frightened of everything. It's like being on a white knuckle ride you can't get off. I wonder now how I came through. My purpose for posting this is to offer proof that hormones (in this case thyroxine) can affect your mental state and its not always circumstances. 

Depression, as a medical condition is always as a result of chemical imbalances. All emotional states are, and as you imply, Depression can also be a symptom of a larger problem but that can only really be discussed with professionals. It's on the list of symptoms for so many things it's unreal.

It does conjure up confusion in many people though as "to be depressed" is still a legitimate way of describing sadness, in exaggeration. 

A few professionals suspect I have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) but it's difficult to diagnose, has varying severity (and if I do have it, it's not severe) and there's no medication for it. So it's rather meaningless for me to know. If I do have it then my depression would be a  symptom of it rather than a seperate issue.

I also have other issues related to BPD which is why it's suspected, such as social paranoia (centered on a fear of abandonment in relation to those close to me, amongst other things).

To add to the confusion and complexity of the issue, Depression can also lead to suffering from other ailments (both physical and mental) and the longer you wait before talking the more difficult the path can be to follow. 

The fact that there are so many factors means everyone deals with their version of depression in their own way, because sometimes two depressed people have almost nothing in common in relation to the illness.

On the note of people talking etc.

I think it can be difficult for many to discuss for lots of reasons, but one of the biggest challenges is how recently "hidden illnesses" have taken precedence. It was only 10 years ago or so that people really started talking about Depression openly at all, and it means that people as young as 30 may have been suffering for many years before people around them started recognising it as the problem that it is, and might feel wary of talking about it.

And of course, the older the sufferer is, the longer they could have gone without that much needed support. 

Outside of my close friends and my family, I haven't really talked about my experience with depression or my wider problems, but the moment I saw @Mostyn6 put this thread up I immediately saw it as a good opportunity to get what is a very wide audience on this forum talking about it. And that is so important. I wouldn't talk about any of this elsewhere on the internet to be honest because I think it's far too likely it would fall on deaf ears. Or worse, troll ears. 

The thing is there are people on this forum that I could have a right good argument with over politics , or whatever but the common bond that binds us all is DCFC .

It's a massive credit to everyone that by and large what gets posted in the Pub is forgotten about in the other forum sections

It's great that everyone sticks together on subjects like this  ,I would even extend that to Dawny [ maybe]

Depression touches everyone's lives in some way, whether it effects them or someone they'e close to, and it always negative. Hugely so. 

I'm a designer for a company that makes cancer treatment machines, and cancer is a similar issue, it brings people together, gets people talking.

The more people who talk about their experiences with Depression, what helped, what made things worse etc. The sooner people don't have to feel quiet so lost when they start suffering from it. 

I would like to offer sincere thanks to Mostyn for being brave enough to share his problems and initiate a dialogue which has allowed those of us touched by depression and mental illness to share our experiences.

I have never before spoken about my experiences with anyone other than those of us directly involved. I saw Mostyn's thread and felt compelled to participate. I have found sharing my and reading of others' experiences to be cathartic, therapeutic and healing.

On 12/15/2015 at 14:05, Mostyn6 said:

thanks for you concern, but I think I am far from that level.

Admittedly, I am a bit low at the moment, Christmas is always a bad time for me, but I hope that the good things in my life are enough to keep me on track.

There's no doubt that, in spite of never being diagnosed, I have been and probably still am 'clinically' depressed.

It became a question that kept me awake last night, whilst reflecting on a tough couple of years (which is not unique to me!), wondering how far away from being at rock bottom I am. It was a weird concept, as steps, and when there are no more steps down, is that where you find yourself wanting out.

I often contemplate the effects of ending it all, which is not the same as planning to end it all, if that makes sense.

I know it's a cruel world and I look at what others have been through and it trivialises everything I consider a problem in my own life, and the fact that I won't burden people with my own issues seems to fit in with lots of depression "frameworks" if you will.

I found myself just wondering where I was on the staircase of mental well-being. I worry that I could be only one or two more knocks from rock-bottom.

Mostyn

From other comment you've made in the past, you may find a source of your depression in terms of your sense of attachment. Have a read of the link below and see if it strikes a chord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_theory

It helped me understand why I was struggling a few years ago.

Sage 

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Typed a load of ***** here so edited it. Mad ramblings lol. 

Rambling is a natural side effect of talking about this. You aren't sure what little details might matter, you aren't sure what effect things have on you or have had on you either, not completely anyway. No-one will judge you for them.

4 hours ago, ketteringram said:

From my experience, It's often easier to talk to someone who knows you a little, but isn't too close. I used to speak to a colleague, who I still speak to about 'stuff' occasionally. She's not a 'close friend' or family, but then I wouldn't have dreamed of talking to them.