Ipswich away - real ale pubs

North East Ram

On 14 December 2015 at 23:09, admira said:

I'm a Rams ST holder living in Ipswich so am happy to advise. The aforementioned Fat Cat is a great pub but a fair trek out of town. You're better off with The Dove in St Helens Street which has won loads of awards. Good grub too. 

The Thomas Wolsey is far nearer the ground. Although it's supposed to be home fans pub only, I always go there post match. Hell I live here don't I?

The Station Hotel (opposite Railway station) is the normal away fans pub and it's had a load of money spent on it recently. I'll be in there pre match. 

Feel free to PM me of you want to meet up with me and other Ipswich based rams. 

Went to The Dove which was well worth the visit. A few Rams in there too. Decent ales and grub as advised. Stuck to the Derbyshire ales obviously but hard not to when Thornbridge Jaipur is on.

The thirst of some Derby fans is incredible - stella and super strength on the 9am train. One owd boy who clearly either can't handle his ale or hadn't stopped drinking since last Tuesday played the drums with his hands banging against the bog door all the way to Ipswich. He even 'sang along' to some of his solo work. I'm not sure if he is a professional musician. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Went to The Dove which was well worth the visit. A few Rams in there too. Decent ales and grub as advised. Stuck to the Derbyshire ales obviously but hard not to when Thornbridge Jaipur is on.

The thirst of some Derby fans is incredible - stella and super strength on the 9am train. One owd boy who clearly either can't handle his ale or hadn't stopped drinking since last Tuesday played the drums with his hands banging against the bog door all the way to Ipswich. He even 'sang along' to some of his solo work. I'm not sure if he is a professional musician. 

You chose well. They ran out of the cask ales in The Station. I thought it was a bit of a let down. Who runs out of beer on a Saturday afternoon?

2 hours ago, Gritters said:

You chose well. They ran out of the cask ales in The Station. I thought it was a bit of a let down. Who runs out of beer on a Saturday afternoon?

It didn't look a great pub but was very popular even at 11ish when I walked past. Probably due to the fact you can stumble from the train to bar in about 30 seconds ? 

We're spoilt though in Derby. The ground isn't the best located but the pubs and ales are superb. When away fans give us grief for PP, you can tell they've not looked in town - adding all of 30 mins to your whole day which when you're travelling away, is not a big sacrifice.

2 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

It didn't look a great pub but was very popular even at 11ish when I walked past. Probably due to the fact you can stumble from the train to bar in about 30 seconds ? 

We're spoilt though in Derby. The ground isn't the best located but the pubs and ales are superb. When away fans give us grief for PP, you can tell they've not looked in town - adding all of 30 mins to your whole day which when you're travelling away, is not a big sacrifice.

It's definitely worth it for a good beer.

2 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

It's definitely worth it for a good beer.

Archived