The Damned United

Day

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<div align='CENTER'>[url=

Damned United

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2063/126/81/13201819570/n13201819570_1179738_4819

From the best-selling and critically acclaimed novel by David Peace, The Damned United is directed by Tom Hooper and stars Michael Sheen as the legendary, opinionated football manager Brian Clough, with Timothy Spall as his right hand man, only friend, and crutch Peter Taylor.

Set in 1960s and 1970s England, THE DAMNED UNITED tells the confrontational and darkly humorous story of Brian Cloughs doomed 44 day tenure as manager of the reigning champions of English football Leeds United. Previously managed by his bitter rival Don Revie (Colm Meaney), and on the back of their most successful period ever as a football club, Leeds had an aggressive and cynical style of football - an anathema to the principled yet flamboyant Brian Clough, who had achieved astonishing success as manager of Hartlepool and Derby County building teams in his own vision with trusty lieutenant Peter Taylor. Taking the Leeds job without Taylor by his side, with a changing room full of Dons boys, would lead to an unheralded examination of Cloughs belligerence and brilliance over 44 days. This is that story. The story of The Damned United. Jim Broadbent plays Sam Longson, Derby Chairman. THE DAMNED UNITED was filmed in locations throughout Yorkshire, Leeds, Derbyshire and Spain

In UK cinemas from March 27th 2009.

As anyone else studied the faces on the crowds faces?

Some look like he's just about to score, others look like they've seen a ghost, the kids look confused and theres the guy to the right who is giving a great big ooooooooooooooh

Its only a corner that has just left his foot!!

Originally posted by David;1305

As anyone else studied the faces on the crowds faces?

Some look like he's just about to score, others look like they've seen a ghost, the kids look confused and theres the guy to the right who is giving a great big ooooooooooooooh

Its only a corner that has just left his foot!!

It's called acting mate...

We were told to look worried and anxious, because the Leeds were on top and Johnny Giles was just about to take a corner.

In the film they will have one of the kids look Giles up and down in awe. I think the scene is that Derby lost this game, and Revie did not shake Clough's hand.

Notice the guy in the hoodie....and one bloke is wearing a David Bowie T Shirt...no one wore them in those days....not printed ones anyway

Originally posted by David;1829

I think thats the idea isnt it? It's not like its ever going to be a tribute to the guy.

Well this film coming out seems to have made him into a star, legend if you know what i mean....

Showing the great fall, the world against him, then suddenly he changes his fortunes around?

Can't wait to read it....proper journalist wrote it, with accounts from the people that were there....should be good.

Clough is still King though

I don't think its the film that will make him into a star, he was already a legend in most football fans eyes anyway. This film won't make a slight bit of difference to his status. Find me a football fan who doesnt know who Brian Clough is.

I have read the book and thought it was a great book to read, but I have to be honest looking at the trailer it does look a tad cheesy. I will still buy it on DVD and have a watch, although I won't be paying the cinema prices.

Originally posted by David;1835

I don't think its the film that will make him into a star, he was already a legend in most football fans eyes anyway. This film won't make a slight bit of difference to his status. Find me a football fan who doesnt know who Brian Clough is.

I have read the book and thought it was a great book to read, but I have to be honest looking at the trailer it does look a tad cheesy. I will still buy it on DVD and have a watch, although I won't be paying the cinema prices.

No, what i meant in relation to the film was that...they are portraying him as the star..of course we all know he is/was.

Reading that first book made no difference to what i thought of the Legend other than to admire what he already had done with DCFC that much more !

I'll be paying cinema prices and DVD prices...i might be in it lol :cool:

Archived