Swansea sack Monk

Day

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one could start a chain reaction. Because up to now I think a few managers are on the knife's edge but their owners haven't got rid because there's no-one decent out there!

Now with Monk in between jobs I can't imagine he'll get chance to fill in a UB40.

1 hour ago, kevinyahoo100 said:

Garry Monk has proved nothing as a manager. Just picked up where Laudrup left off and system was already in place for him.

Weren't Swansea battling relegation when Laudrup was sacked? And didn't Laudrup just pick up where Brendan Rogers left off?

4 minutes ago, kevinyahoo100 said:

Exactly Laudrup picked up from Rodgers, and Rodgers from Martinez.

Swans weren't quite fighting relegation when Laudrup left but they were in a slump

But didn't Monk take them to their highest ever finish? If so, then surely he improved on what the other 3 managers you name, had some?

Didn't Swansea's dip in the PL come because they were smashing Valencia 4-0 in Europe. 

Like all teams without hugely deep expensive squads, the Europa makes things hard. 

Have a look at how many PL matches Liverpool have won after playing in Europe. It's shocking. 

Swansea won the league cup and played excellent football under Laudrup. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Didn't Swansea's dip in the PL come because they were smashing Valencia 4-0 in Europe. 

Like all teams without hugely deep expensive squads, the Europa makes things hard. 

Have a look at how many PL matches Liverpool have won after playing in Europe. It's shocking. 

Swansea won the league cup and played excellent football under Laudrup. 

On the other hand, isn't squad management a very important part of a football managers role in the modern game?

I think a lot of people took an instant disliking to Monk and maybe let that cloud their judgement in what he actually achieved at Swansea (their highest ever finish).

A lot of 'good managers'have taken over good teams and made them worse so automatic improvement is not a given. 

Archived