'Disappointed in Derby' - SWFC forum

Bris Vegas

Just to drum up a bit of interest, not many were that impressed with us. 

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/234201-disappointed-in-derby/

I get the feeling teams have a misconception about us this season? I know we were free scoring for the past two years, but it seems like they expected us to go there and hammer them.

Really isn't our game this season, we're all about solidarity and excellent team shape. Ten clean sheets and just one conceded in the last six, four in the last 13, should give you an indication to what were about.

A couple of comments said if we're fighting for autos, then so should they. While I understand their optimism, I can't help but think they're overlooking a key factor - our defensive record.

Three consecutive clean sheets against fellow top seven opponents is not to be sniffed at. And we took seven points too.

They say Brighton are better. Perhaps they are... We'll find out next week when we look to extend our five-game winning home run which has also only concded just the two goals in that time.

That said, I like Wednesday and I was impressed. Reckon they're IMO the best of the rest and an improvement in their away from should see them get 6th spot ahead of Ipswich or Cardiff.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just read that Owls thread and have to agree with most comments about how we played today.

I suspect that a lot of the opposition are expecting with all the cash we have spent and the hype attached to us -that we should have played so much better than we did and they would be correct

Wednesday were for me just an average Championship side, they probably played as well as they possible could and put a good account of themselves, but never really causing us problems - we defended well when we had to.

They might end up in the top 6 with some luck and to me they are very similar to Cardiff........

We are certainly a better team than we showed today and we need to improve for the Brighton game. As for Brighton being better than us, well they are top and unbeaten, lets see if Brighton are better than us next week, records are there to be broken.... 

Most of us Derby fans are disappointed with Derby today as well. Shows the difference between the teams though when we're disappointed with today's performance and had the best 2 chances of the game (Johnson hitting the bar and Weimann's wrongfully disallowed goal) and they're quite pleased with a performance in which they never looked liked scoring

Never fails to amuse me how fans judge the opposition just on the games you play them. Saying that it also bores me which is why I don't bother with the view from the outside thread.

They looked crap today, we should be higher than them.

We didn't make it to the top of the league by playing like we did today or against Forest.

Every club has it's off days, today was another for ussimple as that.

I don't think either set of fans can really sit and claim anything from that game as well, was a poor Championship game from both sides.

Plenty more to play, on to the next one

Wednesday worked hard today - and they are good for top half pushing playoffs.

Rams had an off day - we didn't really play that well today...

As for Hillsboro - sad relic of a ground  - sad to say that. - and only 19000 rattling around in it - all of the Wednesday support could have fitted in one stand!

The facilities are poor - really poor.......tired place

Can someone explain why we were singing Gold at half time  - in the extremely tired and useless concourse.....

Hey 4 from 6 in last two games - good points - beat Brighton next week no problem

Wednesday were pretty good today I thought while we were well off our normal game, in part due to Wednesday, credit where credit is due. Considering they are challenging for the top 6, we're away from home, we conceded no real chances to them apart from a worldie strike and we're a little disappointed...that says quite a bit in my opinion. I think they have as good a chance as any to make the top 6 and wish them well. Pleased with a point, onwards and upwards.

My final word on the matter...............We don't regard Wednesday fans disappointment nor do we crave their adulation. We are a better side than them full stop. If we can perform so badly going forward and yet still comfortably restrict them to one shot on goal, and that from 25m then we aren't doing too bad. That performance should just about set us up for Brighton.

Never ceases to amaze me how fans in this league are willing to make such strong conclusions about teams based on the one game they've seen.

If I was to base what I thought about our neighbours across the A52 based on what I saw a few weeks ago, I'd expect us to be two leagues apart next season.

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

In a weekend where Brighton won by the skin of their teeth at home, Burnley lost 2-0 at home to Preston and Hull lost away at Leeds I would say our uninspiring but thoroughly deserved 0-0 away at Wednesday was a pretty good point. Shaping up for an interesting season. Bring on the Brighton..............

I would advise you to take a look at the highlights of the second half of the Brighton v Charlton game on Saturday. I did just a matter of interest late last night, just to see what we could well be facing at the iPro this coming Saturday, Brighton haven't been live on Sky very much so far this season, so I'd yet to have a more in depth look at them as you don't go 20 games unbeaten in the Championship without doing something very right ?. 

To say in your comment that they beat Charlton at home by the skin of their teeth would some somewhat unfair & hardly the reality to say the very least. Ok they had a mad first 5 minutes in the first half going quickly 2 down, but a lot of credit must go to Charlton who were really going for it with pace in the first half & any Championship team may well have found them very difficult to cope with. But in the second half Charlton never got a kick & Brighton played them off the park. Their Manager went with just three at the back, & he played all three strikers Wilson, Zamora, & Hemed up front for most of the half, & with a combination of an unplayable March & Murphy on the flanks they ripped Charlton to pieces. I certainly don't call scoring 3 goals in the second half by the 85 minute winning by the skin of their teeth. If they play like that at the iPro this Saturday we will certainly need to be a our very very best.

It's always best to watch a game before making comments on what actually happen I find.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hardly a massive suprise though is it, show them the Hull game and we look like world beaters, today was just one of those days where you feel totally unsatisfied. 

To be completely honest I was satisfied watching that game. That's what a top team off form should look like. We never looked like conceding, and could well have snatched a win there. We are first and foremost very good defensively, and our record for scoring is also up there, those are very good signs. 

Wednesday look a decent side, definitely will be in the mix for the playoffs, the question is how the top 5 all land around early February. 

15 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I would advise you to take a look at the highlights of the second half of the Brighton v Charlton game on Saturday. I did just a matter of interest late last night, just to see what we could well be facing at the iPro this coming Saturday, Brighton haven't been live on Sky very much so far this season, so I'd yet to have a more in depth look at them as you don't go 20 games unbeaten in the Championship without doing something very right ?. 

To say in your comment that they beat Charlton at home by the skin of their teeth would some somewhat unfair & hardly the reality to say the very least. Ok they had a mad first 5 minutes in the first half going quickly 2 down, but a lot of credit must go to Charlton who were really going for it with pace in the first half & any Championship team may well have found them very difficult to cope with. But in the second half Charlton never got a kick & Brighton played them off the park. Their Manager went with just three at the back, & he played all three strikers Wilson, Zamora, & Hemed up front for most of the half, & with a combination of an unplayable March & Murphy on the flanks they ripped Charlton to pieces. I certainly don't call scoring 3 goals in the second half by the 85 minute winning by the skin of their teeth. If they play like that at the iPro this Saturday we will certainly need to be a our very very best.

It's always best to watch a game before making comments on what actually happen I find.

I wouldn't exactly go on Brighton's performance vs Charlton as proof of their abilities.

The game was set after six minutes, and Charlton should have scored again in that first half. With 0-2 after six minutes, Chalton were just going to sit deep and play on the counter.

Of course Brighton would dominate from then on. It's becoming increasingly common in English football, especially the top two tiers, for teams to just sit back on leads and play on the counter - even at home.

If you turned on Hull vs Derby after 30 minutes you would think we were absolutely rubbish, because for last 60 minutes Hull had about 15 attempts to our one, while they probably had about 70% possession too.

Brighton, at home, bombarding a rubbish Charlton side who were leading after five minutes is hardly a shock, in fact it is entirely normal like when we did it to Yeovil two seasons ago.

They won by the skin of their teeth in that they left it so late to turn it around and a better team would see it out. If Derby go 2-0 up against Brighton on Saturday it's game over... Especially with our defence.

Archived