Christmas - the things I hate.

Mostyn6

On 21/12/2015 at 10:28, Wolfie said:

Pine needles.

Love my real Christmas tree but this year it seems to be dropping a lot more than previous years. I've kept it topped up with water and it's not near a radiator.

Still worth it, though, for the smell as I come down the stairs in the morning.

Just found this on't internet.

Experts say the climate at the time a Christmas tree is harvested has a big impact on how long it will last.

When the temperature drops below minus 4 degrees Celsius (which usually happens around October) the trees go into a natural “shut down mode” in which they stop growing and the sap in the branches stops rising.

Trees harvested while in this "shut down" state are best because they can survive longer without their roots when they are cut.

But this year high temperatures in Scotland, Southern Ireland and Denmark, where most Christmas trees are grown, have remained above minus 4 degrees. This means they are less likely to survive when cut and brought into warm homes.

David Mitchell, head of plant buying at Wyevale Garden Centres, said: "There have been real issues with mild weather this harvest towards the end of November. As a result people will see seen more needles dropping off earlier this year which is why it’s especially important to take good care your tree.”

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
On 22/12/2015 at 20:08, TimRam said:

We used to buy the Christmas Radio and TV times magazines as kids. Loved circling the programmes we were going to watch. The saddest part was looking back at those days as we finished the magazines at the end of the holidays.

Ah yes, the TV Times! Christmas was the only time my mum bought that :lol: that and a packet of Lurpak cos we couldn't afford it otherwise! 

First thing I checked TV Times for was to find when Wizard of Oz was on, still do that now actually, I love that film!

On 23/12/2015 at 18:39, MuespachRam said:

People putting the empty wrappers back in the Quality Street tin..... and the coconut ones...

People eating all my After Eights, pork pie and drinking my Scotch.

Then denying it point blank.

We are talking about grown adults here in full-time employment.

C'mon.......

On 12/23/2015 at 18:39, MuespachRam said:

People putting the empty wrappers back in the Quality Street tin..... and the coconut ones...

I used to eat my wife's favourites, then wrap blu tak up with said wrappers. Christmas without swearing isn't Christmas. 

Of course, I'm divorced now. 

German Christmas markets.

Why is everyone going to them?

Inferior sausages, cabbage and too much foam on a £6 pint. German food is rubbish so I don't get why so many people seem to enjoy paying through the nose to 'enjoy it' in a converted shed in Birmingham city centre.

It's just so... naff. 

28 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

German Christmas markets.

Why is everyone going to them?

Inferior sausages, cabbage and too much foam on a £6 pint. German food is rubbish so I don't get why so many people seem to enjoy paying through the nose to 'enjoy it' in a converted shed in Birmingham city centre.

It's just so... naff. 

I am totally fed up with inferior sausages. I thought these markets would mean we'd get an uplift in quality, a bit like German purity laws on beer .. But oh no ..same old substandard mealy things. None us is rolling in it but I would pay 50% more for a hot dog/ sausage if only there was some quality in it. One of my pet rants is food manufacturers selling rubbish by volume. If you get a lot for your money it must be good, no it isn't ... . Nien danke 

Archived