NFL 11 minutes of action in 3 hours - Is this true???

David

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've just been saying to you on twitter, there's a lot more to the game than just lining up, chucking the ball and then falling over.

You've got a lot happening before the play starts, it's like a complicated game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Is the defence going to blitz? Is the offence going to run or pass the ball etc? 

A good example of this was in this years Super Bowl. The Seahawks are 1 yard away from the end zone and to win the Super Bowl. Their running back was on fire the whole game and this the typical play to do in this situation - to just run it over the line. However they decide to pass and the Patriots intercept the ball, take it to the other end and win the Super Bowl - a whole season coming down to that one play.

No use doing any more explanations on this as I said (yet again on Twitter) that you're stubborn as a bed post and will just completely disregard any points or reasoning on the matter.

Just now, Daveo said:

I'm going to need some idea of what I'm looking at here, throws the ball, other guy caught it and game over?

If they got over that line, they would have had a touch down and very likely would have won the game.

If the team intercept the ball they now become the attacking team and will move away from the end zone. Now if they ran the ball (And as I said earlier the running back was playing brilliantly that day) they wouldn't have needed to pass and risk the chance of an interception.

10 minutes ago, Cisse said:
2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Right so if the guy just ran forward a few steps, belly flopped on the ground instead of passing they would have won?

I get that but where does the other 2hrs 49 minutes go?

Yes basically. The 11 minutes you're quoting are just when the ball is moving. Before that it's them the defence/offence going against each other. Different formations mean different kinds of play that's going to happen before the ball moves. We've been through this.

1 minute ago, Daveo said:

So pretty much like rugby? A lot of fannying around with those line out things and group hugs, run or throw the ball get smashed into, rinse and repeat. Plus a ton of adverts thrown in.

It's more like Rugby League than Union.

If you're bothered about actually trying to learn the game (Which you won't be, as you already have it in your head you don't want to like it) you can watch Red Zone on a Sunday night time. It's like  Soccer Saturday but they show all the important plays instead of just talking about it. That way you get all the action, no stop or starting and you can see why things happen :)

In other news I appreciate you creating this thread as I have just remembered to renew my UK NFL season ticket. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Tried to watch it, don't understand the rules, nor the appeal of the game.

Always thought there's a reason it's not actually caught on anywhere else in the world, and that reason is it's *****.

I used to have that very same opinion. I learnt the rules and I began to enjoy it. Now I would say it's my favourite sport.

Archived