Belgum v Great Britain Final

mozza

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marvellous achievement 

But don't expect any improvement in British tennis anytime soon. This success was primarily down to two exceptional Scottish players and the leadership provided by their mother.

The Murray brothers have succeeded in spite of the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) rather than because of them. They progressed  outside of the 'system' thanks to the foresight of their mother who took them abroad to develop many years ago. The LTA has not been responsible for developing a consistent and successful, home-grown World Top Twenty British player (male or female) for the last 50 years. (The only possible exception was Tim Henham who came from a very wealthy and privileged background which funded and supported his career - which, unfortunately, never came close to winning anything of note. Virginia Wade won Wimbledon when it was boycotted by all the best players and she too never came close to winning another Grand Slam).

I have been Treasurer of a small rural tennis club for the past dozen years. The LTA have never done anything to help tennis at the grassroots from our perspective. Rather, they make a levy on all of our income which represents about 20% of all our revenue (costing us about £600 each year).  We have never had anything back for that money. It appears to go on Admin and ever-increasing red tape and funding the extravagant salaries and benefits of senior administrators. The last head of the LTA received a salary in excess of £700,0000 per annum - equivalent to the subscriptions they levy from a thousand local clubs throughout the UK. During that time, we have invested over £40k in building facilities for the club (allweather courts, clubhouse, floodlighting etc). Not one penny was contributed from the LTA - all through local fundraising, donations and member subscriptions.

I'm guessing, like many on here,  I have played many sports at a grassroots level . But I have never come across a more elitist, self-serving, distant and unhelpful sports body as the LTA. 

Which is why, once the Murray brothers have concluded their careers, it will at least be another 80 years before we see another victory at this level.

26 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Marvellous achievement 

But don't expect any improvement in British tennis anytime soon. This success was primarily down to two exceptional Scottish players and the leadership provided by their mother.

The Murray brothers have succeeded in spite of the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) rather than because of them. They progressed  outside of the 'system' thanks to the foresight of their mother who took them abroad to develop many years ago. The LTA has not been responsible for developing a consistent and successful, home-grown World Top Twenty British player (male or female) for the last 50 years. (The only possible exception was Tim Henham who came from a very wealthy and privileged background which funded and supported his career - which, unfortunately, never came close to winning anything of note. Virginia Wade won Wimbledon when it was boycotted by all the best players and she too never came close to winning another Grand Slam).

I have been Treasurer of a small rural tennis club for the past dozen years. The LTA have never done anything to help tennis at the grassroots from our perspective. Rather, they make a levy on all of our income which represents about 20% of all our revenue (costing us about £600 each year).  We have never had anything back for that money. It appears to go on Admin and ever-increasing red tape and funding the extravagant salaries and benefits of senior administrators. The last head of the LTA received a salary in excess of £700,0000 per annum - equivalent to the subscriptions they levy from a thousand local clubs throughout the UK. During that time, we have invested over £40k in building facilities for the club (allweather courts, clubhouse, floodlighting etc). Not one penny was contributed from the LTA - all through local fundraising, donations and member subscriptions.

I'm guessing, like many on here,  I have played many sports at a grassroots level . But I have never come across a more elitist, self-serving, distant and unhelpful sports body as the LTA. 

Which is why, once the Murray brothers have concluded their careers, it will at least be another 80 years before we see another victory at this level.

We have to take you at your word but it was a team effort not just the Murrays. 

Knighthood for Andy Murray in 5....4....3....

Also, it's worth pointing out that without James Ward's brilliant victory over John Isner at the start of the campaign, none of this would have happened.

57 minutes ago, eddie said:

Knighthood for Andy Murray in 5....4....3....

Also, it's worth pointing out that without James Ward's brilliant victory over John Isner at the start of the campaign, none of this would have happened.

So he's not got constant hamstring injuries, he's just living a double life as a tennis player. Got to admire his multi tasking. 

Also, knighthood, good point, there's knights who have achieved a lot less. But aren't people normally knighted when they're a bit older. He'll probably have to retire and become some sort of ambassador for sport and save a kitten from a tree before he's considered. 

Not a bad sporting weekend;

First Davis Cup win in nearly 80 years.

England women win in the football.

GB men thrash the Australians in the hockey.

Fury causes one of the greatest upsets in heavyweight boxing history.

I'd like to think that we kickstarted all this with our magnificent win away at Hull on Friday night. :p:lol:

Archived