Celtic v Dundee in the US?

Day

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Stuart Pearce's opinion on the proposed match was interesting when he was asked about it on Sky Sports News. He thought that it would be a commercial success as Celtic would draw a lot of support from Irish-Americans in Boston who would go to watch the game, so therefore he thought it was a good idea.  No thought of the damage to the integrity of national leagues or the betrayal of fans in Scotland...those concepts didn't even seem to merit consideration in Pearce's mind. Unfortunately i don't think he is alone in that viewpoint. Depressing really.

Pearce is bang on right. It would be a huge draw in Boston to see Celtic play....and really it can only do the Scottish league some good because no one watches it or cares about it anyway. 

The people of Boston should have their own team they can be proud of. Or if they love Scottish football then why don't they go to Scotland to watch it. 

Why take the Scottish/Irish team away from Scottish/Irish people and plonk them on American/Irish turf? 

Isn't there a Boston Irish Greensocks or something? 

I'd like to say Celtic could go play on Mars for all I care. But Celtic tomorrow, City in Dubai next week and Derby in Siberia next month. Besides, Scottish people care about Scottish football.  That's more people than care about the Conference and I wouldn't want that scrapped. Who would?

What would be great about it apart from you living in the States and getting to watch them?

Why not just play pre season friendlies out there if we must, what benefit will flying the players thousands of miles away, playing in hot and humid conditions they are not used to in competitive games for important points.

Is it the hope that a few tourists start following our results in Texas and Bangkok, the "global brand" that soon loses interest when Man City sign Messi mean while alienating the clubs own fans in the process.

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It would be great because it would be adding interest to an other wise totally drab fixture.

No one in Scotland would be excited about watching Celtic v Dundee, not even the most die hard fans of either club, move it abroad an all of a sudden it is an interesting game.

You call it a drab fixture as a Derby fan that hates Celtic.

Celtic would never give up a home fixture for this, Dundee who struggle to survive in the SPL would be giving up the home advantage, taking the game to Boston would effectively make it another home fixture for Celtic. When they played in September at Celtc park 48,558 went to the game, not a sell out but that's a decent crowd for a "drab fixture". The last time they played at Dens Park in April 8,908 went...sounds crap but the capacity is only 11,506 so when you add in segregation it was pretty much full. So much for nobody caring

7 minutes ago, Daveo said:

You call it a drab fixture as a Derby fan that hates Celtic.

Celtic would never give up a home fixture for this, Dundee who struggle to survive in the SPL would be giving up the home advantage, taking the game to Boston would effectively make it another home fixture for Celtic. When they played in September at Celtc park 48,558 went to the game, not a sell out but that's a decent crowd for a "drab fixture". The last time they played at Dens Park in April 8,908 went...sounds crap but the capacity is only 11,506 so when you add in segregation it was pretty much full. So much for nobody caring

i call it a drab fixture because it is.....just a quick look shows that in the last 52 meeting between them Dundee have won a staggering 2....so, even without my hatred for Celtic it is anything but an interesting game.

I would be just as pleased if they moved Derby v Bolton to Shanghai to give it some sort of appeal.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

i call it a drab fixture because it is.....just a quick look shows that in the last 52 meeting between them Dundee have won a staggering 2....so, even without my hatred for Celtic it is anything but an interesting game.

I would be just as pleased if they moved Derby v Bolton to Shanghai to give it some sort of appeal.

Football is for the fans, Derby v Rotherham is hardly exciting on paper but that's no reason to move it to Dubai, fact is that fixture still generates decent crowds at both grounds. It might be the least entertaining game of the season but the fans are still turning up in numbers to watch it, so what's the motive for moving it?

£££££

Has to be, Celtic will know they can fill Celtic Park with 40k easily so won't give up the home fixture, move the Dundee fixture and you will get a bigger turn out in Boston but what's that saying to the Dundee fans? you basically mean nothing and we're selling out. It might only be one fixture, they might play them twice again in the same season but that's not the point.

Dundee should not be playing home games in Boston, it's madness and I think you underestimate just how much fans will care if this happens. Look at us, Sky move a game from Saturday to Monday and you have the local paper even contacting the Football League, running story after story how the game is being ruined. 

You move Derby v Bolton to Shangai for a few quid and that would be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of fans. With the new TV deals coming in place the money is there, we have plenty of it up for grabs in this country, we have literally no need to go to Shangai, no need.

Archived