Celtic v Dundee in the US?

Day

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Because its the club world cup and not dedicated to one country. 

51 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Yet another bad example. The competition has always been played in different countries since it was started, the clue is in the title.

Has been hosted in Brazil, Japan, Japan, Japan, UAE, UAE, Japan, Japan, Morocco, Morocco, Japan. 

Not exactly close to home.

1 minute ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Has been hosted in Brazil, Japan, Japan, Japan, UAE, UAE, Japan, Japan, Morocco, Morocco, Japan. 

Not exactly close to home.

It's the FIFA World Club Cup, it's not a domestic competition, never has been. 

Not against playing football in other countries for European or World competitions, it's the moving of domestic football to other countries.

Premier League games - England
Bundesliga games - Germany
La Liga games - Spain

These are not pointless friendlies, these are competitive games, Dundee struggle as it is in the SPL, how would it benefit them to play a game in Boston effectively turning it into a Celtic home game with no away fans? it's ridiculous and turning football into a tourist roadshow.

5 minutes ago, Daveo said:

It's the FIFA World Club Cup, it's not a domestic competition, never has been. 

Not against playing football in other countries for European or World competitions, it's the moving of domestic football to other countries.

Premier League games - England
Bundesliga games - Germany
La Liga games - Spain

These are not pointless friendlies, these are competitive games, Dundee struggle as it is in the SPL, how would it benefit them to play a game in Boston effectively turning it into a Celtic home game with no away fans? it's ridiculous and turning football into a tourist roadshow.

But its still a competitive match, against another team, not in this country. There's so little difference, yet one is acceptable, and the other is not.

Yes Dundee vs. Celtic in US is stupid. For reasons I mentioned earlier. There's a massive appetite for handegg over here no matter what your view of the sport is. If you don't like it, ignore it. Ice Hockey is a Canadian sport, yet there a fair few teams here now, in their own league. Same for Basketball, another US sport.

Just now, AnimalisaRam said:

But its still a competitive match, against another team, not in this country. There's so little difference

Theres a huge difference!! you're trying compare a world competition to moving domestic league games out of the country, how on earth is that the same??

54 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

But its still a competitive match, against another team, not in this country. There's so little difference, yet one is acceptable, and the other is not.

Struggling to see how there's just a "little" difference?

You're saying that there's barely a difference than say Derby v Wolves in the Championship being played in lets say Miami, and Barcelona v River Plate in Tokyo?

It's the Club World Cup, hosted by one nation for practical reasons. It's a tournament less than 2 weeks long, can you expect these teams to be flying back and forth all over the world for a few games for it? You wouldn't expect the International World Cup to be played anywhere other than that one host country for one tournament.

P.s in reference to earlier conversations in this thread - NFL is *****.

I'd be absolutely livid if one of our home games was shipped off to some random country.  It's no longer a level playing field, as we get one home game less than other teams - that could mean the loss of home advantage costs the team vital points.

Similarly, the game 39 debacle, seems to be floating back to the surface.  How aggravated would you be to be level on 17th/18th and draw Man City where you rival faces someone like Crystal Palace.

As it's been said, it's all about money and that may be enough to make me turn my back on the game.  (Let's face it, goal music makes my blood boil, so this may bring on a coronary!)

It's disgraceful. 

Take my Derby to America and you can keep them there. Clubs are like giant families to people here. 

We like to think clubs are nothing without fans and although that's not entirely true anymore, it's that illusion that gives us that passion. 

Take the club, take the passion and stick the lot where the sun don't shine. 

It's greed. It's not essential.  

The whole thing is diluted down as it is. This passion killer would be the final straw for many. 

We're Derby. From Derby. For Derby people and the few daft folk who fell in love with what we have here. Who gives a fook about entertaining the people of LA? Grow your own clubs

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree with @Daveo, its the slippery slope to MK Dons style franchise.

Any club would be vulnerable to being shipped to another city where there is a huge population and no current football club to speak of.

No ******* way I'm going to support Nottingham Rams anytime soon.

Give me Derby City instead and we can even get Premier League players here... :pinch:

its an interesting talking point, I totally agree that ALL league games should be played in the UK at either the respective home teams ground. However I am not totally opposed to the idea of playing some sort of competitive fixture abroad. Football has grown massively in the US in the last few years highlighted by the women's world cup success, I definitely think this is a market that could be exploited beneficially to all parties involved. My best suggestion would be a close season competition at neutral venues similar to the ODI Tri-series you see in cricket. Maybe have the winner of Liga Adelante, Bundesliga.2 and The Championship compete for a trophy? A new competition with no history which would boost the profile of smaller/lesser known teams in the US and gives us fans the chance to go and see a competitive fixture against a continental opposition whilst on holiday. 

The only drawback would be filling an 80,000 seater stadium in the US for a game between two teams with relatively little following in the US to which I'd suggest advertise the **** out of it, Americans love that don't they?

Would you be willing to go and see Derby play someone like Osasuna in the states if it meant the chance of some silverware and maybe gaining a larger fan base abroad? 

1 hour ago, loughboroughRAM said:

its an interesting talking point, I totally agree that ALL league games should be played in the UK at either the respective home teams ground. However I am not totally opposed to the idea of playing some sort of competitive fixture abroad. Football has grown massively in the US in the last few years highlighted by the women's world cup success, I definitely think this is a market that could be exploited beneficially to all parties involved. My best suggestion would be a close season competition at neutral venues similar to the ODI Tri-series you see in cricket. Maybe have the winner of Liga Adelante, Bundesliga.2 and The Championship compete for a trophy? A new competition with no history which would boost the profile of smaller/lesser known teams in the US and gives us fans the chance to go and see a competitive fixture against a continental opposition whilst on holiday. 

The only drawback would be filling an 80,000 seater stadium in the US for a game between two teams with relatively little following in the US to which I'd suggest advertise the **** out of it, Americans love that don't they?

Would you be willing to go and see Derby play someone like Osasuna in the states if it meant the chance of some silverware and maybe gaining a larger fan base abroad? 

No, I wouldn't be willing to go because the competition would be utterly meaningless and an achievement on a par with Arsenal pretending the Emirates Cup is legitimate silverware. In addition, what possible incentive is there for American fans to support such an endeavor? Their own domestic league grows in terms of support and quality year upon year and it won't be long before it's equal to, if not better than, the best European 2nd tier leagues. The truth is most Americans do not care about European soccer outside the top teams and there's no reason why they ever should.

Stuart Pearce's opinion on the proposed match was interesting when he was asked about it on Sky Sports News. He thought that it would be a commercial success as Celtic would draw a lot of support from Irish-Americans in Boston who would go to watch the game, so therefore he thought it was a good idea.  No thought of the damage to the integrity of national leagues or the betrayal of fans in Scotland...those concepts didn't even seem to merit consideration in Pearce's mind. Unfortunately i don't think he is alone in that viewpoint. Depressing really.

Archived