4991 days on the bench

Day

This guy makes Saul Deeney look like a professional footballer!

---------------------

A staggering 4,991 days and 86 games since he first sat on the bench, James Bittner finally made his first start in the Football League on Saturday.

The 33-year-old goalkeeper, who has been second or third choice at a host of league clubs, got his chance as he helped Plymouth Argyle beat York City 2-1.

Bittner was finally called into action after the Pilgrims' first choice Luke McCormick was ruled out with injury.

"I've started with three points and hopefully I can carry on," he said.

It was 16 March 2002 when a 21-year-old Bittner had his first taste of the Football League. He was, as ever, on the bench as Bournemouth drew 0-0 at Tranmere in League Two, having been brought in on non-contract terms from Salisbury City as cover for the injured Gareth Stewart.

Read more: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34822518

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I Dont get it?

He has only been on the bench for 86 games, so where does the 4991 days come into it ?

Good spot. They're being economical with the truth for the sake of the article. The guy sat on the bench for a few league clubs in the early 2000s before dropping into non league where he played over 200 times for relatively large conference teams.

Archived